U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you support taking New Mexico off Daylight Savings Time?
Yes. The government does too much unjustifiable meddling as it is. 23 48.94%
No. I've read the arguments but it should still stay. 14 29.79%
Doesn't matter to me. 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,211,302 times

Advertisements

LOL! What a bunch of whiners y'all can be. I always look forward to the switch back and forth. A little change of pace never hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,552,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
"Arizona" time already exists on every sophisticated system.
It also does not exist at all when we operate on standard time.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM

346 posts, read 432,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Isn't that like saying "our windows leaked a lot of heat last winter, but we're never going to get that money back, so why replace the windows?"
What?? Thats not at all what it is like, its not a recurring cost. If you want to go with that analogy, it's like buying new windows that insulate better but fit on top of your existing ones. You are sick of taking your super insulated windows on and off each year so you want to spend a bunch more money just buying new windows that may or may not insulate as much as the ones now, but at least you don't have to take them on and off.

We aren't leaking money on DST, the whole reason they implemented it was to save energy money every year. You can argue whether it does or does not save money, but switching is not a money saver at all.

Switching away from isn't suddenly going to free up $500 million in the federal budget and it won't free up a dime in the state budget, it will cost money to implement and change for private companies and that is all. The budget argument works completely against making changes to how things currently operate.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 AM

2,805 posts, read 4,408,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
What?? Thats not at all what it is like, its not a recurring cost.
I think that's the crux of the misunderstanding. My position is that it is a recurring cost.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM

346 posts, read 432,347 times
Ahh, yea that would be the misunderstanding.

The numbers you cited aren't a recurring cost due to DST. That 2007 figure is the estimated cost for implementing the DST extension, which occurred in 2007. Currently it costs nothing* to keep things the same, but it would cost a similar amount to drop DST all together.

*You can find studies that try and compare how much more/less energy we use due to DST. For example, it seems when you factor heating & cooling in addition to lighting we use more energy at least in the very few locations that it has been studied in. That said it is fairly agreed upon that the extra hour results in increased economic activity. On the other side there is the lost time to adjust the clocks and adjust our internal clocks. These factors are all abstract and fairly impossible to calculate and pin down to an actual number. I will guarantee that if there is a recurring cost for DST in New Mexico it pales comparison to the cost to implement a change of the current system.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:56 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,308,950 times
Besides the inherent silliness of the entire concept of DST, another problem is that all the devices which were programmed to automatically change their time settings are now wrong, as the extension of DST to its present extent has rendered them all incorrect. They shift back to standard time too soon and revert to DST in the spring too late.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:09 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,303,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Besides the inherent silliness of the entire concept of DST, another problem is that all the devices which were programmed to automatically change their time settings are now wrong, as the extension of DST to its present extent has rendered them all incorrect. They shift back to standard time too soon and revert to DST in the spring too late.
Yes. And not all of those devices can be turned off. So you end up resetting 4 times in one year.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM

2,805 posts, read 4,408,432 times
Given the slight differential on this poll, and considering how much more of a blowout the gubernatorial poll here was, versus the real election, I'd guess it'd take a lot of momentum to get NM off DST.

So the question becomes.. what's a cost-effective way to build that momentum? How do DST-haters convince DST-likers that they need to change their ways?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM

631 posts, read 563,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes. And not all of those devices can be turned off. So you end up resetting 4 times in one year.

This was my main annoyance with Daylight Saving Time since it was extended. However, in the last year, I've replaced my VCR (yes, I still have one of those), which was the one device I had which changed the time on its own, so I no longer am annoyed having to change the time on it so much. Another slight annoyance is trying to remember exactly when the change occurs. This became even more confusing for me in the last three years, because I had always thought the end of DST was changed from the first Sunday in October to the last. On Saturday I went to sleep a little late thinking I was going to have an extra hour in the morning. Instead I woke up late, perturbed when I found out DST actually ends the first Sunday in November. (I also found out that it actually used to end on the last Sunday in October). I know when DST begins and ends now but I'm sure I'll forget it again when the next time change occurs in March.

And I know that it was asked to give a reason other than the long summer nights for keeping DST, but I must say that's the main reason why I like it. I'm also just used to the time change. It's what most of us have always known. It's part of our culture in a sense - how we define our seasons and how they 'feel' to us. I couldn't imagine the cozy feeling of a cold winter night being the same if it began to get dark at around six rather than before five o'clock. I don't know, winter just wouldn't be the same to me anymore. The same with summer, just with a totally different feeling. I think it's rather cool that you can go out and enjoy summer without the blazing heat of the sun and have it still feel like daytime at around seven at night. Summer's nights have always been the only part of that season that I like. These are reasons why I wouldn't want to get rid of DST, no matter how unsubstantive they may be.

Edit: I just now realize that DST obviously has no effect on when it gets dark in winter. So please try and forget most of what I just wrote. LOL!

Last edited by ABQalex; 11-03-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 AM

17,646 posts, read 19,044,376 times

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

December 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest
December 2014 "Theme" Contest

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico