Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,715 times

Advertisements

I'm a new member. What are the State fees if I relocate to Mexico (I am a senior citizen) regarding registering my vehicles in New Mexico and changing my DL to New Mex. Will I have to take a DL tests or can I just change my DL without testing?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:20 PM

366 posts, read 865,398 times
MVD New Mexico - Licensing - How to get a New Mexico Driver License (http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/Drivers/Licensing/How-to-get-a-New-Mexico-Driver-License.html - broken link)

For a DL its $18 for a 4 year, $34 for eight years, + $15 one time fee for a background check in your old state. If your current out of state license is good then you only need an eye test. If you are over 75 you need to renew every year and take an eye test every year.

Vehicle registration varies by type and size, if i remember correctly a standard sedan is about $50 - $60 a year.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,733,612 times
Depending on the age of the vehicle, you'll need an emissions check every two years
and for an extra fee you can renew at the emissions testing station.

My 2005 Hyundai Tucson was just tested and had the plate renewed for two years for
@ $140; $18 for the test, $23 to renew at the station and $100 for two-year tags.

I could have saved the $23 fee by going to MVD myself, but the fee seemed well worth it.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,526,511 times
Emissions checks are only in certain counties.

If you have a current Drivers License from another state you do not have to take a written or driving test. Just an eye test.

If you have certain medical conditions, heart, diabetes etc you might need a form completed by a doctor.

Rich

Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,548,039 times
I will likely snowbird for a few years after I retire. How much of the year do you have to be in NM before you are required to register your cars and obtain a NM license?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 AM

49 posts, read 128,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I will likely snowbird for a few years after I retire. How much of the year do you have to be in NM before you are required to register your cars and obtain a NM license?
My car is registered there now, and still a snowbird, no license yet.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 PM

71 posts, read 156,641 times
What about the state income tax for out of state retirees? Seem to remember reading that if you retired in another state, not NM, that you do not pay income tax if you move to NM. Correct?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 PM

4,817 posts, read 4,720,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsandyb View Post
What about the state income tax for out of state retirees? Seem to remember reading that if you retired in another state, not NM, that you do not pay income tax if you move to NM. Correct?
Oh, if only that were true.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,526,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsandyb View Post
Not true.

Quote:
New Mexico imposes a tax on the net income of every resident and on the net income of every nonresident employed or engaged in business in, into or from this state or deriving any income from any property or employment within this state.

If you are a New Mexico resident, you must file if you meet any of the following conditions:

• You file a federal return;
  • You want to claim a refund of any New Mexico state income tax withheld from your pay, or
  • You want to claim any New Mexico rebates or credits.
Nonresidents, including foreign nationals and persons who reside in states that do not have income taxes, must file here when they have a federal filing requirement and have income from any New Mexico source whatsoever. You must file Form PIT-1 to report and pay personal income tax.

Personal Income Tax

Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 AM

433 posts, read 1,139,146 times
My hubby retired from Illinois. We pay state taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico