Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I tried finding Peppermint Soap and no one knows what it is. I asked at the Cash and Carry in Roswell. el pintada kid
Try a health food/nutrition store. The General Nutrition Center in Roswell might have it unless they've gone to not much more than protein powder and vitamins, as in Alamo.

There is also another Roswell listing called Down to Earth Nutrition Center, 102 N. Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 12:06 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
There's every reason to use caution, like keeping meeces out of the house and wearing a mask if you clean out an old shed, etc., but this disease is rare. Your chances of croaking are far, far greater everytime you get in your car and hit the road.
On a "Dark Humor" note...everytime I read the title of this thread "Tis the season, Hantavirus" I can't help but plug in Fa-la-la-la-la la-la-la-LAAAA..... ala Deck the Halls

Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I tried finding Peppermint Soap and no one knows what it is. I asked at the Cash and Carry in Roswell. el pintada kid
They normally sell it in health food stores. It's also good for washing clothes and bathing and comes in other scents but the peppermint is what you need for the mice and bugs. They don't like the scent of peppermint.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default Thanks Cathy

Ill check out some of those places when im in Roswell or Albuquerque again. el pintada kid

Old 12-08-2008, 12:26 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,543 times
Song, on Friday my indoor cat started acting strange, wanting in the laundry room. It's chilly in there no heat vent or anything, and she actually wanted to get squeezed behind the dryer near the vented side. And it was not running to make the room the least warm when she wanted in there

I thought AhHa! Mouse?!

Well I called all over in this area of the shops I knew and nada {or no peppermint} on the Dr. Bronner's. So went to online, searched and found I could order by phone toll free debit or credit card, {or on line too}.

www.drbronner.com
Toll free: 877-786-3649

They even have some Tea Tree products! Which I use around my horse and myself. Myself & horse for mosquitos and such biting bugs, ticks flies, bees etc.

But also Great for germ 'warfare' LOL
I use it to spritz my hands clean and on bites or cuts scrapes on myself and horse as well. I even mist down her stall to keep the flies down in the Summer.

Tea Tree is wonderful for many uses/reasons but the critters don't seem to like it either, never tried it for mice tho.
But have sprayed it anyway for mice, at the Barn. I even have a Horse spray/bath soap of Tea Tree. Great for thrush, rain-rot etc. And a salve too.

I keep my horse's vitamin and bran pouches- I make up in and keep in a totebox at the Barn/Farm and don't want mice in there this winter. So will use/try the Dr. Bronner's peppermint per your suggestion.

The Tea Tree I use for animals is from: www.healing-tree.com
They have a toll free # on the website. Human and animal products. Fantastic stuff. Ph balanced.
And you can get the Tea Tree oil at Walmart too {vitamin section}, like a 2-3 oz bottle and mix about a table spoon with about 16-20 ounces in a spray bottle.

I don't know IF we've got mice trying to come into the house, haven't seen any signs but my cat acting strange; but am getting the Dr. Bronner's peppermint this week per shipping. I want to head off the trouble

Thanks very much for the hint!
It's going with me to NM when I move, too

Tia Dalma

Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times
Thank you for the tip about Dr. Bronner's soap - I have been using it for years (bath and kitchen). I'll be refilling my bottle with peppermint next time. I have the occasional mouse (or kangaroo rat, not sure) make an appearance - last month I caught four in a tube/bucket trap and released them a mile from my house. If you have the same kind of mice I do, you will know that they can easily jump out of a 5-gallon bucket. I refuse to use lethal traps, but I am considering getting a cat with the hope that just its presence will repel mice.

I have noticed a big difference in mouse appearances since I started keeping my kitchen spotless. NO dirty dishes sitting, NO crumbs, and I keep covers on my stove burners because they were climbing up through the stove somehow. I seldom see them now.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times
Default Hanavirus & Santa Fe

I drove through Santa Fe last week and I stopped-by the medical facility in Albuquerque. I got into a conversation with one of the head doctors there and I was told that New Mexico, particularly the areas around Santa Fe have the highest amount of HantaVirus cases in the USA.

The Deer Mouse is the carrier of this deadly virus. Recent studies show that 1 in 4 of the mice test positive for the virus, sometimes as high as 2 in 4 carry the virus. It is deadly to humans and there is no known cure for it. 50% of the people who contract the virus will die. It is contracted through breathing dust from the mice (urine, feces) or from a bite or coming into contact with food the mice touched.

How do people living in rural areas like Santa Fe deal with this problem? Do you get a lot of deer mice inside your homes or garages?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
In over 30 years (1975 to 2010) there has only been three cases of Hantavirus in Santa Fe county. You can see the other numbers here:

From: http://www.health.state.nm.us/erd/He...ntavirus.shtml

Additional info: http://www.health.state.nm.us/erd/He...uspamphlet.pdf

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-25-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 11-25-2011, 06:43 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
In over 30 years (1975 to 2010) there has only been three cases of Hantavirus in Santa Fe county. You can see the other numbers here:

Rich
Thanks for the chart!

Here is a more updated chart, looks like New Mexico added another 5 cases due to HantaVirus in the past 10 months. Your chart ended in Dec 2010, the below chart is up to October 19, 2011:

CDC - U.S. HPS Cases, by Reporting State - Hantavirus

He did say that the areas around Santa Fe have the highest amount of HantaVirus cases in the USA. It looks like McKinley County that is really bad with over 37 cases & then Taos County with 8.

Here is the kicker. He mentioned that HantaVirus gets misdiagnosed A LOT of the times and even the cause of death gets incorrectly noted as either cardiac arrest or pulmonary failure/pneumonia. One has to be specifically searching for the HantaVirus during diagnosis or postmortem. The symptoms are very commonly dismissed as the flu or some type of pneumonia.

It's hard to gauge a number on the misdiagnosis but they believe it's about 50% of the time. In other words you can easily add another 50% to those totals. If it shows 3 confirmed cases of HantaVirus in Santa Fe County, you can add 4 more to that total. In McKinley County, you can add 18 more for a total of 55. If it shows 89 cases in New Mexico, it is more like 133 cases

All-in-all, New Mexico leads the country is HantaVirus cases & deaths, particularly the northern portion of the state. Living in that area, does that concern you??

Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
89 cases in 35 years. Yeah, we're all freaking out here about it. I have a better chance of getting hit by lightning twice than being infected with HantaVirus. There are many more things to be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico