Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:56 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

Movingwest,

This is a bit off the subject, but I was diagnosed with EB a few years ago. I read about someone curing her's with juicing, so I gave it a try. I bought a juicer, and then began juicing with 6 carrots, handful of parsley, 1 clove of garlic, and then 1 stalk of celery. I had this juice every day, and within a week I could feel some difference. It didn't take long to cure my illness, and I continued juicing for some time until I was too lazy.

That plague is only in one county, but you never know, it can spread. Still, not many people get it, and if you keep your home, barn, etc. clean it doesn't sound like you can get it.

I read to get cats, but what is to prevent cats from giving you the disease, or is it only carried by *****?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 10:40 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post

I read to get cats, but what is to prevent cats from giving you the disease, or is it only carried by *****?
Cats keep the mice and pests that carry the disease at bay.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

70 posts, read 288,041 times
Default Tis the season, hantavirus

Read where a 22 yr.old woman contracted and died from hantavirus complications in Otero Co. All of you newcomers to N.M. ought to aquaint yourself with symptoms and how to control mice population around your home. While cases are rare, better to be prepared than the alternative. We live and work on the Navajo Reservation and have to be aware of indications that mice have moved in (droppings,nests,etc.)
Anybody know where death occured in Otero Co.? Have a retirement home in Alamogordo.
My condolence to the womans family and friends.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
That does not sound like a very happy season.
Dang musty mouses!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
I feel bad for the young woman that got diseased and died and wonder why someone that age couldn't fight off the disease.
Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap mixed with some water in a spray bottle will also send the mice on there way without any nasty chemicals that housepets can get into.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:31 PM

213 posts, read 769,856 times
Gosh I never heard of this virus before. We are having a problem with a few mice in the house, a problem we never had in our former home (moved to a country area in TN last year, hoping NM will be our next/last move )
Dr. Bronner's soap really works? Just spray it where you think they might be/where they've been spotted? We are not sure, we think maybe behind the stove but we haven't pulled it out yet. We are not thrilled with traps or poisons but we have been doing the poison. A safe deterrent would be great (we do have pets).

Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Yep it works. We had some little visitors about a month ago for a couple of days. It takes just a little bit of the peppermint soap mixed with some water and spray in the areas where you think they may go, like ours were going under the kitchen sink. It helps for other bugs too, like ants.
We also have that Riddex thing that you plug into the wall and it helps too.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM

332 posts, read 1,119,914 times
It's crazy, I'm from the Northeast, I saw a special about Hantavirus when I was 11 or 12, and was totally convinced that I would get it, but of course then completely forgot about it. Now I live in a small, drafty adobe house in NM. . that has at least one mouse! Yikes. Songinthewind, I will definitely try your peppermint soap remedy. We have traditional mouse traps out (I can't stand the glue ones, they seem too cruel), but I think the mice are too smart for us. The cheese is gone, but no mouse. I'd much rather drive them out than kill them, so I'll give it a shot.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM

213 posts, read 769,856 times
Yes, the glue ones seem quite cruel, but I guess not much better than the poison we tried. Saw our dog vet and a tech this morning and vet explained that if a dog ate a mouse that had eaten the poison (which is possible as we have found 2 out in the open after they evidently ate the poison), the dog would probably die before you even knew what happened - kidneys shut down.

I ordered the peppermint soap last night and we'll get rid of the poison ASAP but in the meantime we may have to get a trap - they suggested electrocution trap (?) as alternative to regular snap trap - less messy. They said you can't leave the problem alone though or they will multiply

Agree, would much rather keep them out than kill them. Last year we tried a box/safe trap, but the mouse kept tripping it and not getting caught. Of course that means you'd just put him loose in the yard to come right back in the house .
Not sure if it is fruitless effort or not, but we are going to try to seal up the house a little better, if we can figure out where they could be getting in, thinking dryer vent area is one possibility.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,926 times
Default Peppermint Soap

I tried finding Peppermint Soap and no one knows what it is. I asked at the Cash and Carry in Roswell. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico