Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,168,193 times

Advertisements

No, we don't. Care to explain?

(I, too, think HOAs are dumb... Much like the people who typically run them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,615,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlander View Post
I've always thought there are two reasons the bars are so common: 1) As already mentioned, crime. I don't think the bars are justified in most areas of the city, it's more a just perception of crime being "bad" in the Albuquerque area. This has been discussed numerous times in the threads. 2) Great, cool, dry nighttime weather. During the summer, ABQ probably has the best nighttime air in the country to sleep in. Sleeping with windows open leaves people feeling vulnerable. Hence, bars.
Makes perfect sense to me. If I wanted to sleep with an open window (and I would where air is nice at night), bars would be a logical solution.

OD

Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 PM

1,368 posts, read 706,766 times
Default quick release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Yes a large Bravo for Neighborhood Associations. Bars on your windows is about as stupid as it gets. Yea, your house is on fire. How the hell are you going to get out of 'that prison' you have created?!
You push the release button, the bars fall off, and you climb out the window. Every room has at least one window with quick release bars.

Do you really have such little faith in US building codes that you think they wouldn't think of that?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 PM

If you are a burglar and you see a house with bars on the window... next to a house without bars, all else being the same, which one would you try to rob?
It's more about making it more trouble than its worth...

Old 10-16-2012, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,208,486 times
I would go for the one with the bars. Bars means "Good Stuff Inside!"

Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,290,894 times
Bars slow down bad guys enough to get 2-3 well aimed shots off.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM

295 posts, read 590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would go for the one with the bars. Bars means "Good Stuff Inside!"
Yea, no kiddin. It's basically saying these bars are here for a reason. Nothing some tools can't remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Bars slow down bad guys enough to get 2-3 well aimed shots off.

I can get the same amount of shots off in my own home, so I have more proof to put the bastard away. And keep me in safe distance from the law.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,208,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Hey, if you have bars on your windows, sorry if I offended you. But they just remind me of Mexico. And we all know why people there have them on their homes.
Maybe because of some Spanish cultural influence?

The following quote is from a real estate website in Spain's Andalucia Iron bar windows in Andalucia, Malaga, Cordoba, Granada, Sevilla, Cadiz, Almeria, Spain.

"Iron bars are part of life in Spain. In fact, few Spaniards would even think of living without them, and many even enjoy decorating their doors and windows with custom designs that are intended to be both beautiful and secure.

Your Spanish home will typically come with bars on doors and windows, but if you build your own home, you will be able to decide whether or not to install this security measure. And, if you plan to have the bars eventually, it is best to do it now as the built-in variety are more secure than those that are installed after construction is finished."

Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 PM

Bars do not mean good stuff inside in older neighborhoods, where the only houses without bars are the updated ones. They generally mean that the occupants are renters or haven't bothered to redo the windows and update the look of the house.
I am getting new windows in my rental, but the bars stay. All it means is that I cannot get swing windows, as they will not open too far. Sliders it is.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 PM

13 posts, read 26,805 times
Default Bars on the Windows--Albuquerque Housing

I've been working on getting a job and house in advance of a move to Albuquerque, and while the job search is going slowly, I'm more alarmed at the housing situation. Plenty of wonderful properties are for sale right now, and I'm working with a realtor to find what I need. While I'm looking in the NE Heights area, where the crime map shows it's generally safe, I notice plenty of the houses listed feature bars on windows and doors--anything glass--or have security systems installed. I have looked into the crime rate in Albuquerque, but those crime stats for my town here in Montana also look much worse than the actual situation merits. Crime is not a problem where I live, people feel safe, even though the crime stats put us about at the national average rate. Albuquerque's crime stats are considerably higher than the national average, and I wonder if the bars and alarms are a sign that it's really a dangerous place to live, no matter where you might live in town. I am a single lady, older, and really don't want to learn how to survive Breaking Bad/Mad Max daily reality in my next home. Any thoughts about whether the bars and alarms are hysterical overkill or wise prevention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico