Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 22,114 times

Advertisements

Can you give me information about living in Alamogordo NM/and or Cloudcroft NM. thank you, janet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 AM

27 posts, read 358,820 times
cloudcroft is absolutely beautiful!! I would go there every weekend to eat at the lodge. I was born and raised in Alamogordo, and if Cloudcroft wasn't so dang cold in the winters, I would live there in a heartbeat! I would suggest looking into the inbetween in highrolls. It's the beautiful mountains but not as cold.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:56 AM

827 posts, read 5,063,000 times
Default Differences

Alamogordo is HOT in the summer. Cloudcroft is COLD in the winter. Alamogordo is dry and desert. Cloudcroft is mountainy and piney. It is like this, Alamagordo is like Phoenix and Cloudcroft is like Flagstaff.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:09 PM

22,823 posts, read 28,049,079 times
I've never spent any time in Alamagordo, but I have passed through many times. The town itself never impressed me, but it is right next to White Sands, which is really, really cool.

Cloudcroft is gorgeous, and most definitely snow ski country in the winter.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
Default Alamogordo? Hot?

Sure, compared to Cloudcroft it's hot in the summer, but not nearly as hot as Phoenix. It's also a lot less humid than where I am, in Fort Worth, and humidity makes all the difference in the world as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention that the cool mountains are nearby, so you can get relief. Not so here; I've gotta go 600 miles for mountains. I want to move!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
I can think of several logical reasons why I would purposely move to Alamogordo. Getting out of Tornado Alley is one...this spring has been exciting (and not in a good way) so far.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I can think of several logical reasons why I would purposely move to Alamogordo. Getting out of Tornado Alley is one...this spring has been exciting (and not in a good way) so far.
Try sunshine, 66°, 12% humidity, a light breeze blowing, a nice neighborhood with the Sacramento mountains in my face in the front....the San Andres out the back......little traffic, a great internet connection, good cable TV (and NO dish needed), the basic shopping, Cloudcroft, Mayhill, Timberon, Ruidoso, Las Cruces and El Paso only a few miles away.......and skiing in a good year at Ski Apache...an easy drive home to Texas...et al.

Top all that off with basically very nice and friendly people, unlike some who wander by this forum and have nothing better to do than make snide remarks....

Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Try sunshine, 66°, 12% humidity, a light breeze blowing, a nice neighborhood with the Sacramento mountains in my face in the front....the San Andres out the back......little traffic, a great internet connection, good cable TV (and NO dish needed), the basic shopping, Cloudcroft, Mayhill, Timberon, Ruidoso, Las Cruces and El Paso only a few miles away.......and skiing in a good year at Ski Apache...an easy drive home to Texas...et al.

Top all that off with basically very nice and friendly people, unlike some who wander by this forum and have nothing better to do than make snide remarks....
Nice posting as always Cathy !!!!!!!!

6/3

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
Hey Cathy....i felt bad for you about having very little snowfall in Cloudcroft this past winter so i found you a nice video of people skining up in Cloudcroft in the past so hang in there as it gets snow there. Isn't is so cool that Cloudcroft is only 20 minutes from Alamogordo.

About 70 seconds long.

YouTube - Ski cloudcroft

Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Hey Cathy....i felt bad for you about having very little snowfall in Cloudcroft this past winter so i found you a nice video of people skining up in Cloudcroft in the past so hang in there as it gets snow there. Isn't is so cool that Cloudcroft is only 20 minutes from Alamogordo.

About 70 seconds long.

YouTube - Ski cloudcroft
Yep!! But as I understand it, they rarely open. Even Sierra Blanca, though they got to 80% open last season--the snow was never that great. The terrain at Cloudcroft is not nearly as rough as Ski Apache, so they can get away with less snowcover.

I enjoyed, LOL!! I would have killed for even that almost-hardpack they were skiing on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico