U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,786,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
There's a huge difference between the conditions in New Mexico at this transition point and the state of the USA (two wars and the worst depression in many decades, a collapsing financial, and banking system, for starters) in the last presidential transition. The comparision, while probably mentioned as humor, is not there. Neither is 1 million people... where does that nugget come from?

If you look at table 1 on this page States Continue to Feel Recession you'll see that New Mexico has a lower deficit (as a percentage of the budget) than almost all other states for 2011 and the same thing is true for 2012 projections. Of course "projections" are the key word here.

So Gov. Martinez actually has less of a task before her than most other governors in the country. I don't want to minimize the job ahead...she's got her work cut out for her....but relative to the rest of the USA I'm not sure I agree with the near hysterical complaints about the state of the State of New Mexico. There are serious problems, spending must be cut and revenue raised, but this is doable, and not the apocalypse some make it out to be.
Additionally, New Mexico always finishes among the top recipients of US government money, especially as a percentage of money paid IN to the US. So I hope you'll also be campaigning for steep cuts in federal spending in New Mexico in order to help with that Federal deficit. Right?
Somwhat true, New Mexico shouldn't even be in any mess as far as I'm concerned... this state has peanuts for population...

Out of control spending got New Mexico in this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
If the decision to move the DNA lab back to ABQ is any indication, it would seem that all that talk about budgets and efficiency was just so much smoke and mirrors. Here is a perfectly good example of something that would save the state taxpayers money and speed up DNA processing, and Madame Governor apparently sees no need for either benefit. Particularly ironic given her desire to collect even more DNA.
Clearly she is motivated by nothing more than a desire to undercut any good idea by her predecessor. It is going to be a very long four years.

"When the center is relocated to DPS headquarters, DPS staff will not need to wait to process the DNA until a high number of samples have been collected and will not need to send the samples out-of-state because DPS staff will be able to immediately process them in the lab in Santa Fe and upload the information into the state DNA database.
In total, this move will also mean that the state will save taxpayers approximately $400,000 in general fund dollars that DPS will no longer need to give APD for operation of the lab.

ABQJOURNAL OPINION/GUEST_COLUMNS: Moving DNA Lab Will Benefit Taxpayers

Martinez Sends DNA Lab Back To Albuquerque - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque (http://www.koat.com/news/26353662/detail.html - broken link)

Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,307,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Clearly she is motivated by nothing more than a desire to undercut any good idea by her predecessor. It is going to be a very long four years.
I didn't vote for Martinez. Still, the "good idea by her predecessor" took place one week before she took office, with the full knowledge it would be undone.

Also, the rest of this story as described does not make sense. If the equipment is in Albuquerque, stuff has to be collected and sent out of state, but if the equipment is in Santa Fe, it can be done right there? And now that the equipment is getting moved back to where it started, in Albuquerque, it somehow costs more money? Does not compute.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM

888 posts, read 1,006,636 times
Funny how often political ideology gets thrown into the wind, once a candidate actually gets into office?
It's MUCH easier to armchair quarterback, when you do NOT have the responsibility of the office.
I truly wish Gov. Martinez all the luck in the world!
May she govern.....wisely.

Steve

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
So I heard last night that Martinez wants to catalog the DNA of all felony arrestees. In other states there are similar programs but they are limited to violent offenders with convictions.

I realize that people arrested for felonies are not exactly the most popular segment of the population :-) but we are talking:

1. non-violent felonies (i.e. taking a bribe, possessing enough marijuana to season a large pot of spaghetti sauce, forging checks, when your 16 year old daughter texts a topless pic of herself to her boyfriend, etc.)

2. People who are merely arrested, not convicted of said felony.

I agree with the concept of cataloging the DNA of convicted violent offenders, but what's next? Also, considering that when minorities have charges pressed upon them, they are often mysteriously (?) upped from misdemeanor to felony status amplifying the racist implications in the legal system.

This is disconcerting.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 01-04-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,744,849 times
Especially on something like the DNA lab decision I have a hard time second guessing Martinez, who was a professional prosecuter (DA) in her prior life. She has a well-earned rep for being tough on crime and criminals. If any politician has the correct background for making the correct decision about the DNA lab it would seem to be Martinez. And Richardson went ahead with the move even though she was very clear that she would move it back, so who's the one wasting our tax money?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
Really? I see her move as political and knee-jerk. I find this situation analogous to someone who has just entered a prison picking a fight with someone who looks tough to prove what a bad-ass they are.

She campaigned on being tough on crime (and good for her if she can really do something substantive about it) but this violates the privacy of people who have not yet been deemed guilty of a crime. Honestly, while catching murderers is very important, I would like to see something done about the lesser crimes of burglary, vagrancy, and DWI which are omnipresent in seemingly every corner of the state.

I'm not saying it is the end of the world, I'm just saying that it seems a bit quick and unreasoned and violates the principles of a freedom for a police-state.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Police and prosecutors everywhere are addicted to cataloguing everyone that crosses their sights. I believe this is caused by their obsessive need to control everyone. I suggest being careful not to get a speeding or parking ticket.

The State has a deficit less then its population. Congratulations. Just ask everyone to send in a dollar and you would have a surplus.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,307,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The State has a deficit less then its population. Congratulations. Just ask everyone to send in a dollar and you would have a surplus.
Don't believe everything you read (and if bradly writes it, you know it has to be questionable). The state has a deficit of $300M at present. That's about $150 per man, woman, and child in this state.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
As of midnight this morning, there is no more Governor Richardson (except perhaps as an honorary title).

Governor Martinez has some big problems to address; it's this voter's hope that fiscal and monetary issues dominate the Governor's agenda more than wedge, partisan, or states' rights.

Gary Johnson looks a lot better in hindsight than I remember at the end of his term; will we see another one of him in this new governor?
I hope you do.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico