U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 10,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Where does Socorro place on the "progressive" continuum? Alamogordo?
can't speak for Socorro, but i can say Alamogordo is absolutely not progressive in the sense of social attitudes. my friends opened a restraunt here and were chided by the locals b/c their waitresses had the nerve to wear pants instead of dresses! very "churchy" and conservative here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,525,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottercycle View Post
can't speak for Socorro, but i can say Alamogordo is absolutely not progressive in the sense of social attitudes. my friends opened a restraunt here and were chided by the locals b/c their waitresses had the nerve to wear pants instead of dresses! very "churchy" and conservative here.
Well i'd like to know the name of that resturant to verify if thats true or not as i'm well connected to the city and the area there.....

Old 08-15-2007, 05:52 AM

271 posts, read 1,031,054 times
Socorro is definitely not progressive at all. It does however have a good
engineering/technical college but other than that I might be one of the most
non progressive towns I have been in. If you are looking for the hippest town
it would probably be Santa Fe. Santa Fe is very expensive but parts of Chicago can be expensive as well. Knob Hill is a pretty neat area and Los
Cruces is very nice but not hip at all. It's a retirement community and it
does have the state Univ. but it is slanted towards agriculture so a littl more
laid back than some schools. Silver City is pretty nice but it is miles from
nowhere. I guess El Paso would be the closest airport and Tucson would be
the neatest city is somewhat close by. It sounds like Santa Fe would be the
town for you if you could make it work. Most of the jobs in this state don't
pay very much. Most of the people in Santa Fe brought their money from
someplace else before moving there.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 20,999,451 times
Thanks for the responses, y'all. I'm still trying to decide where I want to move in NM. It's not easy.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,623,360 times
Catman,
Just go visit the cities you are interested in and contact those of us that are in the areas you will be visiting. In the end you need to make the final decision. I am very glad that we have made the decisions we have.
Jane

Old 08-16-2007, 12:44 AM

13 posts, read 62,189 times
Default recommendations

1. Mesilla - What Santa Fe used to be. Actually very hip but quiet about it. Lots of artists and interesting people. Organic supermarket near by in Cruces and decent University within walking bicycling distance. Warm weather and plenty of outdoors near by, if you like the desert.

2. Albuquerque - has some very hip progressive areas like knob hill. One of the best areas to access the NM Outdoors with both desert and alpine forests nearby. Anapurna Cafe is a must for any vegan/vegitarian. Corner of silver and yale!

3. Santa Fe - has a small group of real progressives, the rest are actually very chic stuffy art snobs with a specialty in arrogance, ignorance, and utter stupidity.

4. Taos - small town with some cool hipsters left over from previous decades. Cool little town.

5. Silver City - Very run down with drug problems but huge potential. Many people love the outdoors, mountainbiking, climbing... I like it, my wife hates it. Very polarizing.

6. Durango, Co - Just a few miles from the NM border. Very cool outdoorsy town. In the summers you can even mountainbike with Shonney Vanlandingham (#1 mtb chick in usa.)

7. Socorro is nothing special, but near by is Magdelana. Great area to drop out of society. They are neither right nor left, but more vigilante "**** the government completely." Buy a ranch with 200 acres and make your own reality.

Alamogordo is a Christian military town. Very tight knit but crazy christian. (Good hiking and cycling near by though.) Avoid: Eastern NM!!! Roswell, Hobbs, Clovis, as well.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 AM

13 posts, read 62,189 times
Default Alamogordo

BTW. I am not knocking Alamogordo, I just wouldn't call it progressive. The people are friendly and the town is very safe. My experiences were always positive and everyone was very respectful of my choice to not participate in religion whatsoever. It's a right leaning town with an open mind and good people. Eastern NM is flat and doesn't have great hiking, mountainbiking, skiing... nothing against the people.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:17 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,525,918 times
Alamogordo and the area reminds me alot of Bozeman, Montana when i toured the Rockies years back. Its very Rustic and NOT Progressive which is why i like it. When i dated women there most liked it that the outside of my 4x4 was muddy and dirty from 4 wheeling etc.. and the women looked and felt great wearing jeans and boots as its a very comfortable and down to earth like feeling and not dressing up like they have to be Fashioned Models.

Lots of people with Horses and Stables and Farmers growing alfalfa and i beleive they still go to the rodeo at the fairgrounds on fri/sat nite. I noticed that up here in ABQ when i go to Los Lunas and Bosque Farms etc.. there's lots of alfalfa farms and people riding their horses on the streets and that reminds me of Alamo and the area there.

All types of Locals from Church types to active Military to retired Military and northern Sunbirds to Ranchers raising Paint Quarter Horses and Farmers raising Alfalafa to Pistachios or the Vineyards/Wineries in La Luz and Tularosa and the Timber/Sawmill and Tourism industry in the mountains. There's the Apaches of Mescalero there with Anglo and Hispanic generations here since Alamo was founded in 1898 as a planned community by Charles B. Eddy and African Americans from nearby Holloman AFB as its pretty well mixed.

I really miss going to some of the smaller resturaunts or coffee shops as people (strangers) sitting at the tables will start gabbing with ya about politics or local high school sports game etc.or as its a very relaxing laid back place and just down to earth feeling (Mayberry?) where if i started to talk to a stranger at a coffee shop up here in ABQ they would look at me as strange or weird like mind your own business attitude.

Glad there's both Progressive and Rustic areas to explore in the state.

Anyway those are my thoughts.....

Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,123 times
We are thinking of moving to ABQ area is there much growth there.My husband is in construction and looking for work in the construction market. How is the housing market? We want to build a couple of house's and sell them do you think that would happen there. We are visiting in Dec 2007 where would you suggest to visit. We are planning on going to Las Cruces to visit also.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,623,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debachambers View Post
We are thinking of moving to ABQ area is there much growth there.My husband is in construction and looking for work in the construction market. How is the housing market? We want to build a couple of house's and sell them do you think that would happen there. We are visiting in Dec 2007 where would you suggest to visit. We are planning on going to Las Cruces to visit also.
Las Cruces is booming, as is Alamogordo. You need to think of looking into a contractors license. As you have to have one to be a builder in the state of NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or