U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,171 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

I'm an international student who has been in the US for 1 year. During this year I have attended a community college in Southern California, which was quite expensive. Not so much the tuition costs, but the living expenses have been very high for me.

For this reason I am looking to relocate and take the 2nd year of college at a community college located somewhere else.

I have been looking around on the websites of different community colleges (located in smaller cities around the mid-states), and I have seen some colleges that offer full time tuition for international students (non-citizen and non-resident tuition, 12 units) for only 1100-1500 dollars per semester! This seems to me as a very good price, since I paid 3500-4000 dollars per semester in tuition fees at the community college I attended in Southern California.

I have a few criteria for where I want to move - and the price of college tuition is not the most important, as long as it is offset by lower living expenses in the area.

What I'm looking for is a place:
-That is hot much of the year round, with not too much rain
-That is low in humidity (medium humidity is OK too, just not too humid)
-Where living expenses, and preferably also community college tuition fees for international students, are low
-Where there are health food stores, such as a whole foods market, in the area

The size of the city is not that important, as long as it's not a small town of like 5000 people. State doesn't matter, I'm just posting in the New Mexico section because I've heard it's a cheaper state and still very hot..!

As I'm looking to find a place of my own, I'm also wondering if it's common to find decent quality studio/1 bdrm apartments for a rent of around 600-700 dollars, anywhere in the US. Would this price be enough for living in a good neighborhood, or what would be a realistic price for that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 AM

41,506 posts, read 48,866,309 times
UNM at Las Cruces might meet your needs.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
UNM at Las Cruces might meet your needs.
Are you referring to New Mexico State University in Las Cruces? The price for non-residents is $15,000 per year, just for tuition. In addition to that they estimate the living expenses at $6060 per year. The living expenses are good, but the tuition fees are too much for me right now.

(I also checked University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, on their website their estimate for 1 year is $31,072.00)

Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM

41,506 posts, read 48,866,309 times
I was commenting on the climate not the college.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,847,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh5 View Post
Hello everybody!

I'm an international student who has been in the US for 1 year. During this year I have attended a community college in Southern California, which was quite expensive. Not so much the tuition costs, but the living expenses have been very high for me.

For this reason I am looking to relocate and take the 2nd year of college at a community college located somewhere else.

I have been looking around on the websites of different community colleges (located in smaller cities around the mid-states), and I have seen some colleges that offer full time tuition for international students (non-citizen and non-resident tuition, 12 units) for only 1100-1500 dollars per semester! This seems to me as a very good price, since I paid 3500-4000 dollars per semester in tuition fees at the community college I attended in Southern California.

I have a few criteria for where I want to move - and the price of college tuition is not the most important, as long as it is offset by lower living expenses in the area.

What I'm looking for is a place:
-That is hot much of the year round, with not too much rain
-That is low in humidity (medium humidity is OK too, just not too humid)
-Where living expenses, and preferably also community college tuition fees for international students, are low
-Where there are health food stores, such as a whole foods market, in the area

The size of the city is not that important, as long as it's not a small town of like 5000 people. State doesn't matter, I'm just posting in the New Mexico section because I've heard it's a cheaper state and still very hot..!

As I'm looking to find a place of my own, I'm also wondering if it's common to find decent quality studio/1 bdrm apartments for a rent of around 600-700 dollars, anywhere in the US. Would this price be enough for living in a good neighborhood, or what would be a realistic price for that?

Thanks!
There are smaller campuses that are part of New Mexico State that may not be as expensive as the main campus. Where are the colleges that you found that offer tuituion for 1100 to 1500. If you could tell us where they are then we may be able to offer advice. I would think however that college tuition for international students would be high no matter where you go in the United States.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM

124 posts, read 190,357 times
Are you speaking of a 2 yr community college or a 4 yr State University? There is a big difference.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM

3,572 posts, read 7,200,845 times
By southern California standards, I don't think anywhere in NM is warm enough. Even the bootheel of the state routinely gets to freezing and sees snow on occasion.

You're probably stuck with southern Arizona, southern Nevada, or somewhere in California to fit those needs.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM

5,157 posts, read 4,628,883 times
You've been misinformed about NM being "really hot"... definitely not year round. It is however pretty dry everywhere. If you can live with highs in the 50s and sunny weather in the winter, then anyplace around Albuquerque and south to Las Cruses would work... even Silver City... though small, it might be a good choice.

Look here for climate data: New Mexico

The only Wholefoods are in ABQ and Santa Fe I think. But surely LC and SC have some kind of natural food store.

Tuition $, I don't know about.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 PM

2,911 posts, read 4,408,973 times
The "warmest" community college in NM would be Doņa Ana Community College in Las Cruces. Tuition for international/non-resident students is $2028 per semester full-time.

Doņa Ana Community College tuition and fees

Las Cruces has close to 100,000 people, no Whole Foods but other health food store options. It has a fairly low cost of living, especially compared to California, and is warm to hot most of the year, and dry. I think it's the closest thing in New Mexico to what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM

458 posts, read 689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
By southern California standards, I don't think anywhere in NM is warm enough. Even the bootheel of the state routinely gets to freezing and sees snow on occasion.

You're probably stuck with southern Arizona, southern Nevada, or somewhere in California to fit those needs.
I think this is accurate, at least from my perspective thru map gazing. I certainly don't have any first hand experience living where I do. The warmth seems to make it up into the far southwestern corner of Utah as well.

Are you guys cold because of the elevation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico