U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,518 times
Exclamation Moving to Carlsbad NM area need help

Have been offered a Job in Carlsbad NM went there were not impressed alot of people seem to want to stay there. Would move to a nearby city( Artesia, Roswell , etc) and commute. Have lived in Huntsville AL area and know there is nothing like that there, Anybody can tell me about any nice areas , schools, crime, homes that are not falling apart or next to a crack house !. would apprecate information, I do like the warmer weather and job offer.

Thanks in advance for all information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 3,831 times
Carlsbad is no big city, by any means...which can be a plus. Schools here are pretty good, all my kids graduated. Housing is in short supply, although there are plenty that are going to be built here in the next couple years. As for locations for housing....north and south are probably the best areas in general, although anywhere in town can do.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 AM

2,804 posts, read 4,246,263 times
IMO, Carlsbad is as nice or nicer than anywhere else you could live and commute to Carlsbad from. Both Roswell and Artesia are under a bit of a housing shortage you might say; there's good housing, there's cheap housing, but there's not really any cheap good housing to be rented.

Artesia is OK, but not much (if any) bigger, and there are fewer places to shop, eat, and entertain. Also doesn't smell near as good as Carlsbad.

Roswell is a fair size bigger, and I'm sure many Carlsbad residents can be found there on the weekends, but that's a commute best left to once per shopping trip, rather than every day.

Plus, Carlsbad has a drive-in movie theatre, the river, and a lot more entertainment options for its size than its neighbors. Can't find those in those other places. Given the choice between the three, Carlsbad would win hands down.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 PM

88 posts, read 143,931 times
Carlsbad has more stormy weather than other parts of the state. The temperature there all this week is to be from 100 to 107F !! To hot for me but maybe you don't have a choice because of job needs.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:10 AM

8,543 posts, read 11,795,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
Carlsbad has more stormy weather than other parts of the state. The temperature there all this week is to be from 100 to 107F !! To hot for me but maybe you don't have a choice because of job needs.
According to the report in my paper, the high for Carlsbad yesterday was supposedly 110.....but another source (WUnderground) said 104.

AccuWeather's projected high for today is 110, and WUnderground's 106........ugh!!!

And I thought Alamogordo, NM, and Midland, TX were bad for heat.....

Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM

2,804 posts, read 4,246,263 times
Even though Carlsbad's in the wettest part of the state, it's still very dry compared to most of Texas.

That said, 110 in Carlsbad is probably significantly more comfortable than 100 in Midland, and especially more comfortable than 100 in San Antonio or Houston.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 AM

8,543 posts, read 11,795,227 times
I don't know that I'd apply "comfortable" to any of that!!

West Texas humidity levels are a little higher than New Mexico's in general, but not enough to make that much of a difference at those high temperatures.

Our humidity here in the NW was at 5% at one point.....Midland's was 10% during the same time frame, not particularly significant.

One thing I did notice......the elevation gain from Midland to Alamogordo (about 1800 ft) made it just as uncomfortable or worse at lower temperatures because of the intensity.

When the temperatures here (Farmington) reach 100-102, it's going to be very uncomfortable for the same reason. I am 1000 ft higher than Alamogordo, at about 53-5500 ft.

But the 100-degree days don't drag on endlessly, either. Nights are nice and chilly!!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 06-14-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM

324 posts, read 297,402 times
But good news is - tonight's low will be 64!

Up here in the high country it's 72 now, 40 tonight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico