U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 PM

2,651 posts, read 2,621,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
The town is in decline, after having it's hayday in the 50s and 60s.
The town was being rejuvenated during the past ten years with the influx of artists and artistic types and people who brought their upscale ideas with them - Zozo Joe's coffee shop, for example. But the economy couldn't and doesn't now support these efforts, and right now it's virtually stalled (retreating?).

The Malkerson couple have bought a number of the older buildings and turned them into art/antique galleries, but there is very little business for them in spite of their efforts at advertising themselves. And the Foxes have re-opened a small grocery store after it going out of business for two years, leaving the town with only gas station convenience stores - or a long trip to do shopping in other towns.

And the town does NOT encourage new housing construction (trailer houses don't count). I don't know why this is other than that people won't spend the money for a new home in neighborhoods where much older houses have long ago fallen into disrepair. There has been some recent effort to renovate older homes, but that effort also isn't real visible.

And when someone does come along and invest time and energy in trying to get things moving - like the history museum - there is a lot of back biting and bickering that runs off those who were the ramrods in getting things moving.

I don't know what the answer is for 'zozo's future, but if the past is any indication, it's not very promising.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
I just purchased two 5-acre lots in Valle Del Sol. I spent some time looking around prior to my purchase. I think the area and views are gorgeous. Ruidoso, which is just an exceptional community, is relatively close - about 30 minutes away.

Frankly I didn't even see the streetlights in question. I think there are some near the main entrance and park commons area, but none on the paved streets or in close proximity to the lots I purchased. I do intend on eventually building there, and include installation of an observatory/dome.

I think the characterization by 'hogfarmer' is quite accurate. I would agree that the lots over in Vera Cruz are more beautiful. However, there are no paved roads, no water, and no power. A little too rustic for me. No protective covenants. People can subdivide down to 0.25 Acres

At Valle Del Sol there is municipal water. You need to put your own septic in. There is a Protective Covenant - can't subdivide, rules relative to architecture, and the like - which is good.

The comment by rruff "Even with a huge lot you would have no sense of privacy, since there is no terrain or foliage in between you and everyone else ..." is an interesting one. It depends on your perspective. Growing up in the midwest I have always had neighbors within 50 feet. Now to have them no closer than 2-3 football fields away seems like the opportunity for a lot more privacy than I've experienced. Additionally the protective covenant requires you to plant shrubs and trees once you've built - that could act as privacy and wind-barriers.

Last edited by SpaceMike; 02-18-2011 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: error

Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,302,044 times
That sounds great. I only hope that lighting isn't put in later which would interfere with your observatory dome. The night skies are wonderful out there!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,477,253 times
Hope you enjoy your land, SpaceMike!

I grew up in the midwest also, but I've been in the west as long as I've been able. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, and I guess Valle Del Sol has water which is a good feature. But I still don't see it as having a very broad appeal for most people. There are a lot of parcels for sale around Capitan and Ruidoso that have some topography and plenty of trees (junipers at least!), with 5-10 acre lots in the $50k-$100K range. There are a bunch in Sonterra for instance, which is quite close to Ruidoso. They will need a well, but have paved roads, electric, gas, cable, etc.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMike View Post
Additionally the protective covenant requires you to plant shrubs and trees once you've built - that could act as privacy and wind-barriers.
That is an odd one! With limited water resources, I'd have thought xeriscaping would be required, if any landscaping at all is deemed necessary. Since yuccas do so well growing there, I suppose they could be planted close enough together to provide some wind breaking.

I've know people in the past who have made the decision to build homes in that flat plain - the older homes that can be seen scattered here and there. One person I know moved a cabin from Ruidoso to that area when the Nat. Forest terminated leases where the cabin had been situated. In other words, some people prefer the wide open spaces to being tree-bound.

Best of luck to you with your future plans. I certainly think your development makes more sense than the Windmill Ranch properties being peddled north of 'zozo.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,296,513 times
In other words, some people prefer the wide open spaces to being tree-bound.

Yes. I like SOME trees, but I don't like being smothered by them. That's why I liked the golf course and planned development areas more in Ruidoso because they're usually cleared with trees scattered, rather than being everywhere.

I start feeling claustrophobic with thick tree cover.....not to mention the greater fire danger that comes with that.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,302,044 times
I agree. I like a few tall trees in the vicinity to hang amateur radio antennas from. But trees really cause big problems when ice forms on them. A big limb from one fell on my house a few years ago. I was lucky that it didn't cause more damage than it did. And power outages from trees limbs falling on power lines aren't welcome when it's below freezing.

(It isn't like I blame the trees. They can't help it!)

Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I certainly think your development makes more sense than the Windmill Ranch properties being peddled north of 'zozo.
I checked those out once and thought they were pretty nice. 30+ acre lots, decent looking land, cheap, etc. Nice if you like a more remote area with plenty of peace and quiet.

To each their own...

Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That's exactly what makes me feel closed in.....*whew*......but a lot of people do like the heavy cover.
I like the trees, but *really* like good sun exposure. That's why we bought in an area with mostly pinions and junipers, a south facing slope, and a good sized meadow on the south side of house site.

Thick trees are great for giving you a feeling of privacy, but there is always a trade off.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Thick trees are great for giving you a feeling of privacy, but there is always a trade off.
Thick stands of pine trees mean you're continually "trading off" - pine needles for pine sap drippings, pine flowers for pine cones, and pine pollen for bark beetles. To say nothing of dead branches breaking off. Always something coming off of ponderosa pines!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico