Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,903 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I appreciated the many prior threads with questions about moving to Gallup: "What about the crime?" "Will I get bored?" etc. The online results were a little depressing but my first 48 hours as a Gallup resident have been very positive! However what the prior threads don't address are where to go if you are already in Gallup. My best advice so far is to avoid Walmart, especially on the weekends. Luckily, I avoid Walmart as a rule.

But what about the restaraunts in the area? I have heard there are some great places to eat but need help to find them. And grocery stores - is it just Albertsons on 66? Any farmers markets on the weekends? And so on: best vet? Pub? Park? Movie Theater? Tattoo Parlor? Coffee Shop? I am specifically looking at good places to bring my dog to walk off leash, and maybe even meet other dogs for playtime. I brought him to Red Rock State Park today, but not sure that is allowed.

Thanks in advance!
Matty
Attached Thumbnails
Gallup, NM Thread-gallup-indian-parade.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 AM

127 posts, read 555,129 times
First of all, Congrats on your move to Gallup. It's a good town.

Best Restaurant: El Sombrero, Earl's, Genero's, Panz Alegra, and Chelle's.
Best Movie Theater: Red Rock 6.
Best Tattoo Parlor: I wouldn't get one in Gallup. Most of them go out of business. I would go to Albuquerque, either Addictive Ink or Star Tattoos. World Reknown Artists.
Park: Ford Canyon Park.
Thats all I can help you with. Others can feel you in.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 13,903 times
Default Gallup

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have been in Gallup a week and am embarresed to have been concerned about some of the crime-related responses I read. Haven't had time to check out any of your recommendations but am loving Gallup!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:16 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
Default About Gallup

I was wondering what people think about Gallup? I have heard a lot of negative comments about Gallup but I found this movie about Gallup and it looks very interesting. This is one of the few places in New Mexico that I have not visited and I am really looking forward to visiting it. Feel free to point the good or the bad about Gallup. Even if all comments are bad, that will not stop me from visiting Gallup Love the store signs and the trading posts.

Short Movie about Gallup-Theme Song- Johnny Cash-Hurt

Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I was wondering what people think about Gallup? I have heard a lot of negative comments about Gallup but I found this movie about Gallup and it looks very interesting. This is one of the few places in New Mexico that I have not visited and I am really looking forward to visiting it. Feel free to point the good or the bad about Gallup. Even if all comments are bad, that will not stop me from visiting Gallup Love the store signs and the trading posts.

Short Movie about Gallup-Theme Song- Johnny Cash-Hurt
As a regular visitor ( Indian jewelry business) to Gallup for 20 some years, I'd suggest you visit and explore before you make any moves. In many ways it's a fascinating town, lots of Navajo and Zuni culture, mixed with the railroad, Route 66, reservation trader and other influences. It is, unquestionably, the center of the Indian jewelry business.

That being said, the chow choices are pretty limited and not particularly inspiring. El Sombrero, Panz Alegra and a few other old-line places serve the areas version of New Mexico food.... Chelly's serves a usually disappointing version of what the rest of the world considers to be good food...a place where the sorbet course (who needs THAT, anyway) is orange sherbert. Stick to the New Mexico food, and try a tasting of the various versions of Navajo Tacos around town. Some mutton posole is good too.
By all means enjoy a cruise thru the town's Pawn businesses, especially those off the beaten track, and discover how different the Navajo culture and Anglo America looks at the pawn dealer or trader. Not much truely old pawn jewelry to be had, but there are good deals lurking if you have a good eye. Also visit the Navajo Code Talkers exhibition downtown. Native American heros/warriors, and, despite a recent movie, greatly underpublicized.
Take a run down south to Zuni Pueblo. Not that far away but very different than Gallup. Their church is almost restored and worth a look if it's open. The jewelry there, and the stone fetishes, are very different than the Navajo stuff.
IF you'd like a taste of old Gallup (and not neccessarily a GOOD taste) visit the American Bar on Coal...you'll see and meet characters. One of the great American photographers, Robert Frank, took a couple iconic photos in and around this place.
If you visit one old style trading post/pawn dealer, make it Richardsons (a bit sophisticated and picturesque) on old 66, though if youre there walk down the street to Red Shell or a couple of the other places as well.
Gallup is an interesting town...always will be. I"m always glad to get there, but always (4 or 5 days later) glad to leave. Take a look for yourself. And let us know what you think.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
That being said, the chow choices are pretty limited and not particularly inspiring. El Sombrero, Panz Alegra and a few other old-line places serve the areas version of New Mexico food.... Chelly's serves a usually disappointing version of what the rest of the world considers to be good food...a place where the sorbet course (who needs THAT, anyway) is orange sherbert. Stick to the New Mexico food, and try a tasting of the various versions of Navajo Tacos around town. Some mutton posole is good too.
What about Earl's? Not there anymore, or has the food just gone downhill? Grandma's is (was) good too, but again I don't know if it's still around or not, as it's been a few years since I visited Gallup. Guess I need to get back over there sometime soon, particularly seeing as it happens to be the town of my birth.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
First time I saw Gallup on national news, I think it was 1997, I just could not believe that there were places like this in the United States. The landscape, the stores and the signs just seemed so surreal and different from anything I had ever seen. I have been fascinated with the state of New Mexico for the longest time and still cannot find a state that captivates me in such way. I will be visiting Gallup soon.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,019 times
Default any houses for sale, gallup nw.

I am looking for a house for sale in gallup, nw.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 18,858 times
Unhappy Gallup homes

I was just looking on Realtor.com for houses in Gallup and a good number of surrounding towns...........WHY ARE THERE SO FEW HOUSES SHOWING IN THAT AREA??? I am also surprized that the prices are not lower.....
anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Realtor.com comes up with 62 listings. They're sorted high to low, so if you just look at the first couple of pages, you'll get the wrong impression.

The low end houses are pretty darn cheap, IMO.

Gallup isn't Dallas, so there aren't that many houses to begin with. I think 62's a pretty good selection, even if 90% of them are out of your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico