Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,808 times

Advertisements

Traveling through this town, we stopped at a bar named "Rocky's" for a cold beer. I guess being bikers with long hair we were assumed to be into drugs. The bartender, a short guy with a ponytail wearing a baseball cap, approached us and asked if we were "holding", which is a term asking if we had any drugs on us. We kinda laughed and said no, which made him ask us if we were "looking". We are not into drugs, although the stereotype usually is handed to us. We said no, we were not into drugs, and that in our opinion anyone who was into drugs was an idiot and a punk. He then told us to leave, which we politely did.

The bar and this bartender should be investigated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I'm a biker too, although I no longer have long hair. What an unfortunate episode. (I cleaned that up!) It sounds as if he took the "idiot and a punk" comment personally. Too bad, isn't it?

Old 07-22-2007, 10:40 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Wow. That's incredibly blatant.

That fella is just itching to sell crank to some undercover cop, it sounds like.

That being said, were I in that situation, I'd keep my critical comments to a minmum. In a strange place like that, where one is kind of a guest...

I doubt very much if you just wanted to sit there and have a beer, that anyone would force drugs on you.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Is is a dingy druggy bar ? I mean does it look like that ? Because when I did security for nightclubs I asked many people if they had drugs or where looking, and beleive it or not I got several yes answers, which didnt get in

Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM

271 posts, read 1,175,051 times
There were a lot of people busted a few days ago on drug charges by the state police in truth or consequeces. All the people arrested were photographed and their photos were in the local newspaper and many of them
had very long hair. Maybe this bartender was nervous that he might be getting shut down like some of the other places did. It's also to bad that people tend to sterotype others. I also ride a bike and often ride with friends who have very long hair and I know they don't do drugs but I know they are often given some dirty looks by local police and others. I think Deming was
also the place of a major drug bust with about 30 arrested. I wouldn't stop
for a beer in Deming, NM for sure. Actually I don't think most of the people
who were busted were even bikers at all.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,256 times
I know of this bar but have not been inside because neither of us drink and we're over fifty (younger crowd)
We moved here to get away from that type of element and what do we find in the paper the first week but that big bust involving about 30 people...I say..Good for TorC PD and NMSP for bringing the hammer down on these leeches, idiots and punks. Yes, I call em as I see em.
Dedalus says "That being said, were I in that situation, I'd keep my critical comments to a minmum. In a strange place like that, where one is kind of a guest..." if more of us stood up and spoke out against drugs and druggies maybe they wouldn't be so casual about it.

I will notify TorC PD about this thead and hopefully more bust will result.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM

12 posts, read 38,395 times
stayed next ro Rocky's last month and the cops were out in force. By the way the place is for sale..any takers?

Old 11-23-2007, 01:09 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,814 times
Nope...used to be in the bar biz and it's no picnic! Used to be a cop and a corrections officer too and they were not picnics either!!! All tough rackets to be quite sure! I'll be staying away from Rocky's that's fer sure

Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,270 times
Default truth or consequences - rocky's bar

that is incredible! a guy that asks you if you're holding, drugs, and a bartender too, out of the clear blue! associating long haired hippie ways of being a druggy is definitely a stereotype, but here, consider the source. this guy had long hair, and was possibly into drugs, and possibly thought, well, it's dry right now, and I'll just ask these guys if they have any, or, maybe he was a plant seeking to make a drug score, and then have the people would be patrons busted. who knows what his motive was, but, consider this person for what he might be. I myself used to be into mj. in fact, when in the air force, me, and 31 other buddies got busted because one of the buddies sold mj to and undercover osi agent, and when he tripped out on an acid trip, he babbled a whole bunch of names. the person making the buy was a little known new person to the civil engineering squadron, and we all received article 15's for drug use / possession. so, a word to the wise now almost 30 years after the fact, don't buy anything from anyone upon first meet. get to know them first. ok, rocky's bar in downtown T or C is now, "out of business?" the place is for sale. being a former biker myself, and formerly a long hair, the Pine Knot Saloon on the outskirts of T or C on 3rd. street is an okay place to get a brew. they're pretty str8 there. anyway, visit my web page, index and find out why T or C is coined as a "drug town", you'll be enlightened. bob, (buzzy) formerly of brothers rising mc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico