Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 AM

103 posts, read 303,060 times

Advertisements

Best trading post in NM?

(not the hokey kind, but quality native American products)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,167 times
My first best guess would be Richardsons in gallup. But it has been a few years since I've been up to that part of the country!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Most of them are rather "hokey" in my experience, and not just in NM.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
There is nothing "hokey" about the authentic trading posts, IMO. The problem arises when there are "trading posts" that are nothing more than curio shops catering to the tourist trade.

There are at least two reputable businesses in Gallup that represent/trade with regional Indians - Perry Null and Richardson's.

There are a couple in the Shiprock/Gallup area renowned for the Navajo blankets they sell. The "Toadlena" trading post is actually on the reservation about half way between Gallup and Shiprock - featured in several of author Tony Hillerman's mystery novels.

And then there is the historic 1800s "Hubbell" trading post on the Navajo reservation in Ganado, AZ that is a National Historic Site. While not in NM, it is just across the state line and but a short drive from Gallup.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
My first best guess would be Richardsons in Gallup. But it has been a few years since I've been up to that part of the country!
I was at Richardson's in Gallup last year. As we were the only ones in the store that morning, the employees spent a LOT of time with us.

Richardson's views themselves as a local bank for people in the area. They accept a lot of family treasures on pawn. They generally hold on to everything a year before placing it out for sale to the general public.

They had some very interesting items - locally produced jewelry, saddles, blankets and furniture among other stuff.

And little or no junk.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Richardson's views themselves as a local bank for people in the area. They accept a lot of family treasures on pawn. They generally hold on to everything a year before placing it out for sale to the general public.
This is the traditional role of "authentic" trading posts that actually trade with the local Indians. They provide a vital service by acting as repositories for ancestral treasures as well as providing credit for hand-made goods intended for sale.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 AM

96 posts, read 289,882 times
In the Albuquerque area I would recommend the Palms Trading CO near 15th and Lomas. They carry a lot of quality jewelry and other handicrafts from a variety of local Native American artists. They are considered a wholesaler, but they do a pretty swift business to the tourist crowd since it's so close to Old Town.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
joqua: My point was that most "trading posts" nationwide are not 'authentic'. Perhaps most are in NM, since there are likely more 'real' ones.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
joqua: My point was that most "trading posts" nationwide are not 'authentic'. Perhaps most are in NM, since there are likely more 'real' ones.
So we're in agreement.

The OP (hawk1) asked about the "best" trading post in NM, and specified "not the hokey kind" so I was focusing on that. Of course the OP hasn't seemed to take an interest in any of the responses, so who knows why the question was posed.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM

103 posts, read 303,060 times
Actually I've been very interested. I've checked out the trading posts on-line (those which have websites) and I've taken note of all so when I'm the area I can stop in and take a look at their goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico