U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 PM

12 posts, read 34,712 times

Advertisements

I will possibly attend ENMU, Roswell Campus for the OTA program, Im from California and a little apprehensive about relocating. Here are my questions:
What part of town is ENMU in? Ive read the North end of Roswell is the more desirable place to live. Also, I am an African American lady and was wondering if Roswell has any African Americans in its demographics? My husband is caucasian and we would like to settle in a place where color is not a problem. Also is there a VA Hospital in or near Roswell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 AM

3,601 posts, read 7,325,348 times
ENMUR is on the old air force base in the extreme south of Roswell (next to the airport).

Roswell does have a fair (albeit small) percentage of African Americans; you won't be the only one there; in fact, I'd say the southern end has the highest concentration (and a good barbecue restaurant). Roswell also has a black history dating back a long time.

Color is a problem in Roswell, more than most places. 95% of people won't make it an issue, but that lingering 5% who give you looks (white folks have to deal with brown folks just like brown folks have to deal with white folks) can ruin your day on occasion. The southern end is probably actually better for multiculturalism than the higher-income northern end (tends to have the most temporary population; students, etc.).

I think there is a VA clinic-ish up north but I know that most VA hospital stuff has to take place 3 hours away in a major city (or if you can afford it, 2 hours away in DFW or LAX via American Eagle).

Oh, and should you stay on campus? Almost definitely. No matter how ramshackle it seems, it's better than the average affordable rental in Roswell.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 PM

713 posts, read 1,584,634 times
There is a VA hospital in ABQ, three hours away. I lived in Roswell twenty years ago, so I can't say what it is like right now. It has higher per capita population of African Americans than most of the state. However, there is some discrimination down there. I felt it as an Hispanic. Hopefully that has changed since I lived there.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Zoidberg...thank you for your response. One of the reasons Im looking at ENMU-Roswell is because ALL OTA programs in Ca are completely impacted! with a 2 year wait list. Im not the youngest student (52 to be exact) but I am energetic and love academics. Relocating to Roswell to attend this program seems like a small price to pay, since all the programs in the rest of the Cities are so overcrowded. I just feel a little nervous about the cities culture/ reputation (crime, socioeconomics impact,). However, the town seems very friendly..Again thanks for the feed back, guess I will be flying down soon to take a look around!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Thank you Loborick! From what i have read not much has changed in Roswell from 20 years ago!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:30 PM

713 posts, read 1,584,634 times
I found Roswell to be very cliquish. More so than any other place I'd ever been. Being from outside Roswell, I wasn't even accepted by the Hispanic clique. But I found a clique of people from outside of Roswell. I actually had a pretty good time there.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM

4,159 posts, read 6,502,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
There is a VA hospital in ABQ, three hours away.
Other options are El Paso and Amarillo and Big Spring. All are about the same driving time as Albuquerque from Roswell.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico