U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 PM

5,392 posts, read 4,570,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Thanks for all the good responses. They make sense to me. Besides the lack of specialized medicine, I think my wife would have a problem with leaving her network of friends behind (in Albuquerque). Interesting comments on restaurants, as we usually go into Ruidoso one night for dinner when we are camping on our Alto property. So far...we just haven't had much success at finding any restaurants we really liked very much. We'll keep trying, though...
Believe me, I've been here for several years and I still have yet to find anything spectacular (though Cattle Baron does pretty decent steaks, Casa Blanca does GREAT sopaipillas, and Disco Taco has awesome tacos, chips and salsa..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,322,379 times
I've spent emough time in Ruidoso to hear a few of the locals give voice to their mixed feelings about Texans! I'm a Texan (for now), but I understand their viewpoint well enough to have reservations about living there. But I do love the Upper Canyon area!

I doubt that the cost of living in Ruidoso is less than in any other mountain town.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,631,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I doubt that the cost of living in Ruidoso is less than in any other mountain town.
Underhanded politics / politicians are a huge detriment to some people who might otherwise choose the Ruidoso area for retirement. Last year a vote was ram-rodded through to raise the gross receipt tax collected in Lincoln County to the highest in the state (Taos ski area being a tad higher). This is not a simple "sales tax" but rather a tax on ALL goods and services, including utility bills. Need for a new waste water treatment facility has caused "base" utility bill within the village to be an outrageous $100 per month, whether or not the property owner has a full-time presence. Gasoline prices the last few years have averaged 20-30 cents a gallon higher than those in surrounding communities. And the list goes on for expenses incurred by locals who choose to retire to Ruidoso proper.

As for Texans - I feel certain that the majority of property owners in the Ruidoso area are either current or past residents of Texas. I am native Texan, but adopted NM as my second home. I used to rail at those with NM license plates when I wore Texas plates, and now I rail at those with Texas plates since mine are NM. I know some people who live here either most of the time, or full-time, who have never registered their vehicles in NM because to do so would be another "proof" that they are not any longer residents of Texas - thereby escaping NM income taxes (Texas has no income tax).

Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 AM

5,392 posts, read 4,570,883 times
Usually my railing at those with TX plates is limited to "RAAAAAAAAAAAALEARNHOWTODRIVEEEEEEEE" lol

Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,480,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Well... tell me then. Where, in NM, CO, AZ, CA, or southern UT or NV? I limit it to those just because the northern states have harsh winters. And I'm talking about a town that is big enough to have plenty going on and is not too remote. The land is cheap here compared to any place I've been (and I've been everywhere), and the climate is as good or better than any place in the country that has mountains and pines.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,309,833 times
We purchased our place in Ruidoso in 2007 because we couldn't afford anything in northern Arizona. It is more of a business than a second home. If we couldn't rent it out it just wouldn't be worth it. We only get a chance to visit Ruidoso 4-6 times per year. I think rruff is right, I can't think of any other mountain community that we could afford. I have often heard of Ruidoso referred to as the "Blue Collar Aspen".

Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM

17,655 posts, read 19,078,261 times
Just thinking:

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Jemez Springs: 90.5 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Jemez-Springs-New-Mexico.html#ixzz1M44iadM6

62.4 miles to ABQ Sunport approx 1 hours 18 mins driving time

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Ruidoso: 86.5 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
182 miles to ABQ Sunport approx 3 hours 9 mins driving time

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Silver City:[/b] 86.2 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

234 miles to ABQ Sunport approx 4 hours 24 mins driving time

Rich

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

December 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest
December 2014 "Theme" Contest

Old 05-11-2011, 12:53 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,322,379 times
rruff: See joqua's post #33 for some good answers as to why Ruidoso could hardly be the least expensive mountain town to live in.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,036,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It seems odd to me when people complain about it being expensive. Ruidoso is cheaper than *any* mountain town in NM, AZ, CO, NV, or CA that has similar amenities... beautiful setting, climate, shopping, activities, etc. I looked around a lot for an area I could afford! If anybody knows of a town that is as good in these attributes or better, with RE prices that are less, then I'd like to know about it.

From now to Oct the climate is nearly perfect... so long as you don't mind the occasional afternoon thunderstorm. The winters are pretty nice too.
Not complaining at all. In my opinion, not a lot to offer or do for as expensive as it is. The real estate I think is a little too pricey. A 1br cabin is almost or over 100,000. That's just ridiculous to me.
Timberon is a mountain town and although Timberon isn't booming like Ruidoso has, you can get a 1 br. here for 50,000 or even lower than that.
Ruidoso is a beautiful place but I think after people have been there to live, it gets old for someone that chooses to work or be active.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:58 PM

441 posts, read 546,125 times
The High Road to Taos might work well for you also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico