Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM

66 posts, read 281,159 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Thanks for stopping and reading my post- I ask that people refrain from fights and stick to the topic as I see fighting can be a trend on this site-lol-

I have lived in Northern Virginia all of my life. I have been exposed to other parts of the country, but never been to the Southwest. For some reason I have felt drawn to Arizona/this general area of the country my entire life and I cannot explain it. I however have still not made it out there and am trying to do a road trip this summer with a family member out that way. I don't know where to start with my questions-but here goes:

I am considering a degree in zoology, and am looking at either Flagstaff,AZ or Silver City, as they both have schools with zoology degrees(animal behavioral science). Both cities are attractive to me, but only by word of mouth or pictures. I of course wouldn't make the final decision before checking these places out in person so I thought I would see what you city data'ers can input. Some things to keep in mind, I am not 19 years old and starting college for the first time. I will be transferring from a community college and will be 27 at the end of this upcoming May, and possibly 28 or 29 at the time of the move- JEEBUS TIME REALLY SNEAKS UP ON YOU!..I am not moving right away so I can have a good amount of money saved (between 30 or 40 thousand) to have a small amount of security during / after the move. I will be more interested in nature, good restaraunts, maybe a couple of cute coffeehouses and crime rate,etc. I am hoping to have a dog byt the time I move and will be interested in a doggie park or something of the like. Is this a city where a single woman can feel safe alone? Also any info on Flagstaff is welcome. I currently work at a Trader joe's (grocery store)and there are none in the vicinity of Silver city unfortunately..I would have to find another job.. which I don't mind- it's just that I have good benefits with this job and I would have to start all over. What is access to Amtrak like? hopefully not too far, I love to take the train places.

I am not looking for a party town, but a place with culture, interesting shops, possibly antiques, and good access to nature. A place with character and good parks.

Thanks for reading and please leave any comments you'd think are helpful.

I am sure I forgot some things and might edit my post with more later!

Last edited by lilacdeming; 03-16-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Flagstaff is bigger and closer to more interesting things. It's also got harsher winters, though by east coast standards perhaps not so bad.

Amtrak will take you straight to Flagstaff on the Southwest Chief, America's worst return on government money. You're looking at a bus in any likelihood to get to Silver.

You're looking at easier access to decent air service from Flagstaff (short drive to Phoenix or its own airport) than Silver City (slightly longer drive to El Paso).

If you can stomach Flagstaff's climate and size, then Flagstaff's an excellent place.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Flagstaff is a much bigger town, and the school is also much larger. There will be a lot more night life and activities in Flagstaff. Silver City would be a prime pick if you want to go to the mountains and not see anyone... and it is warmer there year-round.

Either place will be in the normal range as far as safety and crime are concerned.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
I'd love to live in Flagstaff - year around. There is no comparison (IMO) with Silver City. Flagstaff is a much more refined town with lovely landscaping and very easy to get around in. Only downside is that it's a very touristy town, being the southern gateway to the Grand Canyon and a "heat relief" for people from Phoenix during the summer.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM

99 posts, read 315,584 times
We realize that what one person likes another may not. With this is mind; we (my wife & I) would not want to live in Flagstaff. We moved to Silver City from Michigan in 1992 after buying land in 1987. We live a little out of town but we find everything we need in Silver City. However, take into account we are in our 70's and moved here at age 55. We made cost comparisons between Arizona & New Mexico and found NM much less expensive. Look at taxes, car registrations, etc. Silver's weather is far more moderate yet still has 4 seasons. Silver is a very friendly town. Because it is a smaller town I would think that job opputunities are less than Flagstaff. You must visit both places and for more than a day or two to make your decision. Good Luck !!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I would prefer Silver City because it is much smaller than Flagstaff and much less expensive. Like the rest I suggest a extended visit. Fly to El Paso, rent a car at an off airport location and drive to and around Silver City. The Palace Hotel is reasonably priced and kind of neat.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
My pick would be Silver City--mainly because I do not like tourist/yuppie-ish towns. Also, as far as blazing hot southwest summers go, Silver City is fairly moderate in climate.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM

66 posts, read 281,159 times
thank you everyon! your replies were informative and I am really excited to make the move eventually. I was never a pro at long term goals but we'll see how this works. I am still planning on driving out there this summer. I am thinking about flying to Phoenix, renting a car, driving to flagstaff, staying a night or two, then driving to silver city, and then back to phoenix. Anyone have any suggestions on places to stay, eat, see while I am in both towns? hope everyone is having a nice week!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
An old friend of mine, long-time in Maine, moved to Silver City several years ago, I think for a relationship now ended. He absolutely loves the Gila Wilderness, hiking (and he's about 70), does a little art, plays some harmonica and knows the small but active music community. He says there is some gang/meth activity and you want to avoid those areas. Also, there is very little, if any, real employment, so you'd likely have to leave after graduating. Of course, you might make great contacts through school/internships/networking while you're there, and might be able to find a career job.
If the program is what you want, I think it'd be a great place to study and live.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacdeming View Post
Hello!
Thanks for stopping and reading my post- I ask that people refrain from fights and stick to the topic as I see fighting can be a trend on this site-lol-

I have lived in Northern Virginia all of my life. I have been exposed to other parts of the country, but never been to the Southwest. For some reason I have felt drawn to Arizona/this general area of the country my entire life and I cannot explain it. I however have still not made it out there and am trying to do a road trip this summer with a family member out that way. I don't know where to start with my questions-but here goes:

I am considering a degree in zoology, and am looking at either Flagstaff,AZ or Silver City, as they both have schools with zoology degrees(animal behavioral science). Both cities are attractive to me, but only by word of mouth or pictures. I of course wouldn't make the final decision before checking these places out in person so I thought I would see what you city data'ers can input. Some things to keep in mind, I am not 19 years old and starting college for the first time. I will be transferring from a community college and will be 27 at the end of this upcoming May, and possibly 28 or 29 at the time of the move- JEEBUS TIME REALLY SNEAKS UP ON YOU!..I am not moving right away so I can have a good amount of money saved (between 30 or 40 thousand) to have a small amount of security during / after the move. I will be more interested in nature, good restaraunts, maybe a couple of cute coffeehouses and crime rate,etc. I am hoping to have a dog byt the time I move and will be interested in a doggie park or something of the like. Is this a city where a single woman can feel safe alone? Also any info on Flagstaff is welcome. I currently work at a Trader joe's (grocery store)and there are none in the vicinity of Silver city unfortunately..I would have to find another job.. which I don't mind- it's just that I have good benefits with this job and I would have to start all over. What is access to Amtrak like? hopefully not too far, I love to take the train places.

I am not looking for a party town, but a place with culture, interesting shops, possibly antiques, and good access to nature. A place with character and good parks.

Thanks for reading and please leave any comments you'd think are helpful.

I am sure I forgot some things and might edit my post with more later!
Flagstaff has been Californicated, so has Silver City but to a much lesser degree. If you enjoy watching transplants act out their fake hippie dreams go to Flagstaff, you will find more of that there. SC is pretty isolated and small, I think your schoolmates will be your only pool of friends to choose from. We talked to a detective when visiting SC - he told us some gang activity, nothing serious. There are a few coffee shops, a co-op and a few restaurants in the downtown SC. Chain restaurants (McDs etc.) also around town, that;s about it. IMHO one goes to live in SC for the weather and Gila.

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico