Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
...the small but active music community.
I would like to know more about this! Can you give me any more information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacdeming View Post
Hello!
never been to the Southwest. For some reason I have felt drawn to Arizona/this general area of the country my entire life and I cannot explain it.

trying to do a road trip this summer with a family member out that way.

I am considering a degree in zoology, and am looking at either Flagstaff,AZ or Silver City, as they both have schools with zoology degrees(animal behavioral science).

I currently work at a Trader joe's (grocery store)and there are none in the vicinity of Silver city unfortunately..I would have to find another job..

Thanks for reading and please leave any comments you'd think are helpful.
Quote:
still planning on driving out there this summer. I am thinking about flying to Phoenix, renting a car, driving to flagstaff, staying a night or two, then driving to silver city, and then back to phoenix.
1. I guess both educational institutes you are considering are adequate? I mean, is one much better that the other? I am favoring Flagstaff.

2. Driving out would be great, especially if doing it with someone you know.

3. I have lived in the Albuquerque area with my wife (and extended family) for the last 11 years. We have considered Silver City, but it is just not for us. We have been enjoying the Albuquerque area.

4. I have not really studied Flagstaff, have driven through and stayed overnight over the years.

5. Based on what I know right now, I would choose the Flagstaff area.

Rich

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 PM

66 posts, read 280,994 times
Quote:
An old friend of mine, long-time in Maine, moved to Silver City several years ago, I think for a relationship now ended. He absolutely loves the Gila Wilderness, hiking (and he's about 70), does a little art, plays some harmonica and knows the small but active music community. He says there is some gang/meth activity and you want to avoid those areas. Also, there is very little, if any, real employment, so you'd likely have to leave after graduating. Of course, you might make great contacts through school/internships/networking while you're there, and might be able to find a career job.
If the program is what you want, I think it'd be a great place to study and live.
Brightdoglover, very cute user name, I love dogs as well-bright or ditzy! Anyway, when you talk about gang activity as others have mentioned, you make it sound like it's nothing serious.. But where I come from, the term gang is not loosely used and when I hear gang I think of violence. Could you please clarify what these gangs are known for? I know you say it's nothing to worry about but it still gives me pause. Also, I have seen other posts where people have mentioned there are lots of retirees and older folks in silver city- and nothing wrong with that- I'm just trying to get an idea of what the age demographic is like over there. I have an aunt that has visited there from Galesburg, IL. and she is 72. She said though she found it interesting and liked the town and scenery she couldn't live there because of the "isolation" from everything else. Where I come from I s uppose it would seem isolated, but then isn't that the point of a town like this? I think I might like it. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I would like to know more about this! Can you give me any more information?
ME TOO! I am a singer and play guitar as well and would love to have people to jam with occasionally.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
1. I guess both educational institutes you are considering are adequate? I mean, is one much better that the other? I am favoring Flagstaff.

2. Driving out would be great, especially if doing it with someone you know.

3. I have lived in the Albuquerque area with my wife (and extended family) for the last 11 years. We have considered Silver City, but it is just not for us. We have been enjoying the Albuquerque area.

4. I have not really studied Flagstaff, have driven through and stayed overnight over the years.

5. Based on what I know right now, I would choose the Flagstaff area.

Rich
Rich, thanks for your reply. I would love to check out albuquerque as well while I am there. It might be perfect if it were closer to the university I am interested in as there is a Trader joe's there and I could transfer there to work. Otherwise it would be really convenient. What prompted you to move to New Mexico and what do you like the most compared to where you lived before? Why was silver city not for you? paige

Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Rich, thanks for your reply. I would love to check out albuquerque as well while I am there. It might be perfect if it were closer to the university I am interested in as there is a Trader joe's there and I could transfer there to work. Otherwise it would be really convenient. What prompted you to move to New Mexico and what do you like the most compared to where you lived before? Why was silver city not for you? paige
I believe Albuquerque is worth coming out to see. You might want to check schools in the ABQ area, University of New Mexico (UNM) for example.

I think there are two Trader Joe's in ABQ.

I was attracted to the Southwest US over 40 years ago, I spent some time in the area in TX, NM and AZ. We lived in a few states and a few countries. My wife is a Federal Employee and was offered a promotion to come out here, so we took it in 1998. I basically retired so I could travel with my wife in her job out here.

I am 60+ years old, medical OK, but I still prefer the ABQ area. I have lived in rural areas before. But all factors considered Silver City was not for us. My wife has a very good paying job, and she would not want to give it up, as she likes the ABQ area...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-15-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
My Maine friend who lives in SC says he has been playing the harmonica with a guitar player around town. I gather there are some bars or events, don't know specifics. Regarding "gang," I have read from him and others that there are some blocks where drug dealing seems to be the thing happening. SC's "isolation" apparently is its distance from any other place of size and location off the interstate. Might be too far for people thinking about medical stuff, I don't know.
I do know that women view "safety" differently than men do. At least, I do.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
My Maine friend who lives in SC says he has been playing the harmonica with a guitar player around town. I gather there are some bars or events, don't know specifics. Regarding "gang," I have read from him and others that there are some blocks where drug dealing seems to be the thing happening. SC's "isolation" apparently is its distance from any other place of size and location off the interstate. Might be too far for people thinking about medical stuff, I don't know.

Yes, safety is definitely viewed differently for both men and women. For me, I want to know if I can feel safe living somewhere by myself. Ultimately once you are living alone it's your responsibility to make your situation as safe as possible.. but I guess I'm trying to figure out what the crime rate is, how often rapes are reported, etc. etc. I am more intrigued than fearful but I also plan on travelling out there by myself this summer and I am a bit nervous about it.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I believe Albuquerque is worth coming out to see. You might want to check schools in the ABQ area, University of New Mexico (UNM) for example.

I think there are two Trader Joe's in ABQ.

I was attracted to the Southwest US over 40 years ago, I spent some time in the area in TX, NM and AZ. We lived in a few states and a few countries. My wife is a Federal Employee and was offered a promotion to come out here, so we took it in 1998. I basically retired so I could travel with my wife in her job out here.

I am 62 years old, medical OK, but I still prefer the ABQ area. I have lived in rural areas before. But all factors considered Silver City was not for us. My wife has a very good paying job, and she would not want to give it up, as she likes the ABQ area...

Rich

I am definitely going to check out Albuquerque while I am there!

thanks.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Good luck in Silver City, it really is situated nicely. However, if you get cabin fever there but still like New Mexico, consider Albuquerque or Los Cruces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico