Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,571 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the local take on the Los Lunes stone; the rock out west of the community of the same name with the ten commandments carved on it in a form of hebrew. So, do the locals regard it as legitimate and pre-columbian, or a ruse concocted in the 19th century? Wife and I will be visiting the area shortly and are considering viewing it for ourselves.

Last edited by Jaybee; 03-22-2011 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
It's Los Lunas, named after the Luna family...

Actually a few families I know who live in Los Lunas don't really have anything to say about it...

I'm sure you have searched info about it. I checked about 10 years ago and it was my understanding it is on state land and requires a permit to go see it.

That's about all I know, disregarding all the apparent rumors, I have not seen it.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-22-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
I consider it a fraud. There are so many great sites to see around the state that have authentic petroglyphs, cave-dwellings, and pre-Columbian ruins of many types that I wouldn't waste my time on that thing. Huge thumbs down.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
I grew up in LL and locals consider it a joke.

But if someone believes, then more power to 'em.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,571 times
Default Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's Los Lunas, named after the Luna family...

Actually a few families I know who live in Los Lunas don't really have anything to say about it...

I'm sure you have searched info about it. I checked about 10 years ago and it was my understanding it is on state land and requires a permit to go see it.

That's about all I know, disregarding all the apparent rumors, I have not seen it.

Rich
Yes, sorry about the mis-spelling; Los Lunas. I've done a bit of reading about historical anomalies like this, the Kensington stone, Roman coins in the new world, etc. They're all quite interesting, but of course difficult or impossible to authenticate. Oh, I'm also interested in more traditional artifacts and sites. But I find these oddities are intriguing, thought provoking head scratchers. And, when in Rome...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Yes, sorry about the mis-spelling; Los Lunas. I've done a bit of reading about historical anomalies like this, the Kensington stone, Roman coins in the new world, etc. They're all quite interesting, but of course difficult or impossible to authenticate. Oh, I'm also interested in more traditional artifacts and sites. But I find these oddities are intriguing, thought provoking head scratchers. And, when in Rome...
When in Rome, do as visitors do. Locals and visitors hardly ever do the same things.

That said, this would be the first time I've heard of this particular "artifact" and to be honest, it will probably be the last.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
This is a new one for me too. But I did find a good article on the stone, with a photograph of it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Lunas_Decalogue_Stone

End of article says the "use fee" for access to the area is $25.00.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
The fact that most of you have never heard of this amazing discovery should tell ya something..

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Producing fake 'antiquities' was a popular past-time in the latter half of the 19th century. You can hardly throw a stone without hitting some ancient Celtic text in Oklahoma, a rune-stone in Wisconsin or a Norman fortification in Rhode Island.

If that's your thing, by all means, check it out. If you are hoping to see evidence of ancient Hebrews in New Mexico, I'm so sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico