U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,608,911 times
I don't think the swastika form was even known to most Americans until Hitler came to their attention. But simply because they didn't know what to call it doesn't mean that the word is incorrect. You're right, those who didn't know the word would have called it something else. But it was of little import until the rise of Nazism.

Anyway, it's no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,307,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
In the link from funkymonkey, it was shown as having many uses - even in Western culture,
but it was not referred to as "swastika" until Mean Mr. Mustache.
Ummm... would you believe what Merriam Webster says about it?
Quote:
Origin of SWASTIKA

Sanskrit svastika, from svasti well-being, from su- well + as- to be; akin to Sanskrit asti he is, Old English is; from its being regarded as a good luck symbolFirst Known Use: 1871

Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,118,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Ummm... would you believe what Merriam Webster says about it?
I was referring to the common use in English.
I did not deny that the word existed before Hitler's rise.
The wiki article also contained information on the sanskrit stuff.

catman also confirmed that in his post.

The symbol did not have a common name until the Nazi's took it on - just like I said.

I never said that the name was coined by them. You're picking at nits.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,563,396 times
i used to marvel at those swastikas as a kid. my grandma said they covered them up during WW2 although there was a movement to destroy them.

does NMSU still have the swastika as their yearbook?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM

6,409 posts, read 6,617,155 times
The English and Scandinavian word for swastika is 'fyl fot' which is an archaic spelling of 'fill foot'. 'fill' meaning 'many'. This term is still used in heraldry where apparently the Swastika is not relegated to the ignominy of sole possession by Nazis.

Actually, pre-WWII, the swastika was a reasonably common symbol in America and Europe as this 1915 apolitical postcard demonstrates.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 03-29-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,118,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict
Actually, pre-WWII, the swastika was a reasonably common symbol in
America and Europe as this 1915 apolitical postcard demonstrates.
Yeah, but did the common person know what it was called?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,056,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i used to marvel at those swastikas as a kid. my grandma said they covered them up during WW2 although there was a movement to destroy them.

does NMSU still have the swastika as their yearbook?
The yearbook was renamed in the mid 80's. Don't know whether it was changed for political correctness or other reasons.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 3,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The yearbook was renamed in the mid 80's. Don't know whether it was changed for political correctness or other reasons.
I used to work at the NMSU Museum, which is housed in one of the earliest NMSU buildings. There is still a swastika on the wall in the main room, but it is covered up with something much more politically correct. I was told it was symbolic in many cultures for the four directions, the four winds, etc. I have also seen the ones on the building in Mountainair. It's funny that even though I KNOW what it is and why it's used, it is still so ingrained in me what Hitler and the Nazis used it for that it was an ugly jolt to see it.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 AM

9,955 posts, read 13,539,889 times
It is hard to see it, especially if you grew up around first-generation refugees, veterans and survivors. I know I wince wherever I see it, whether Native American, Buddhist, or whatever.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM

442 posts, read 270,613 times
Looked up some history, around the early 'teens, the swastika was actually used on Arizona road signs. Besides that, there are many examples of this symbol used on buildings all over the USA, I even know of one in Rockford, IL (on 7th st.) on a 3 story building between the 2nd and 3rd floor. More locally, the ones on the popular vintage restaurant/hotel in Mountainaire are appropriate to the setting and it's great vintage decoration.. It is too bad that most people only think of the Nazis when they see a swastika, not all the other more agreeable uses it was known for before Herr H and friends grabbed it for their own purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico