U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 AM

15,909 posts, read 11,417,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrism View Post
We had lived in Scottsdale, AZ and Los Angeles, CA before moving to San Francisco, so I guess we could tolerate the heat. We would be coming to visit mostly in Summer and during Spring Break/Easter, and maybe Winter. What we would like is for the weather to be comfortable at night during the summer. 65-70 mostly, any places like that? By undeveloped I mean still a lot of stores and restaurants, but not high rises and industrial buildings and some trails and wildlife. We prefer a city that as 1 main street where all the shopping, and restaurants are. An example of this in California would be University Ave in Palo Alto, or Lincoln Ave in Calistoga, goole images has pics of these streets so you guys could know what I mean. I heard Silver City has a street like this on North Bullard is this true?
Silver City is nice, even better would be Bisbee Arizona. Bisbee is full of San Francisco transplants and verges on becoming the new Haight. While ruling out Arizona I wouldn't rule out Bisbee or Jerome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 165,118 times
Quote:
Well, Nightlife might have been the wrong word. I mean a town that people are out more than 10 hours a day and its not lights out at 9. I would think Santa Fe is like that. As far as entertainment, movie theaters and art galleries would be nice.
Actually Santa Fe more-or-less rolls up it's sidewalks by 7pm. Yes the movie theaters are open past then but the art galleries are usually closed by then. The only things really open downtown are the bars and resturants after 9pm.

What I've seen of Santa Fe is that is becoming more of a retirement city for New Yorkers and Californians rather than a mecca for the art scene. But the art scene is still there. There are the museums but one can only go to them so much.

I think I like the Arizona recommendations as well as the Silver City, Ruidoso ones.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM

14,650 posts, read 16,184,009 times
Quote:
Hi, we are a family of 3 living in San Francisco. We are looking for a vacation home in the Southwest and narrowed it down to New Mexico. We are thinking of Santa Fe and Las Cruces, but there are downfalls for each. Santa Fe, while beautiful may be a bit to cold for us (coming from foggy San Fran), and we have looked at the crime stats of Las Cruces, and found they are above the US average. Are there any other areas to look at? Or any nice suburbs in Las Cruces? We are looking for a town with good restaurants, shopping and nightlife (aka not a sleepy town or boring one). We are also looking for a single family home with a yard as we have a dog. Since this is a second property our budget is around 200k-300k. We don't need a huge house, even 1,200 SqFt would be fine also long as there is a good sized yard. We like the nature beauty of the Southwest too, so we would look a pretty undeveloped city. (Not a lot of Skyscrapers, or cranes.)
Thanks!
Have you considered Taos?

I don't think that Las Cruces is going to be upscale enough for you.

Personally, I'd pick Espanola, but that's just me.

20ysinBranson

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM

2,078 posts, read 2,622,978 times
Why would you pick Espanola? It's a very unusual choice considering the OP's criteria.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,310,331 times
Quote:
Well, Nightlife might have been the wrong word. I mean a town that people are out more than 10 hours a day and its not lights out at 9. I would think Santa Fe is like that. As far as entertainment, movie theaters and art galleries would be nice.
Midtown Ruidoso is often teeming with tourists during the day, but all the shops close early. Bisbee and Silver City usually aren't "open late" either, as I recall. Silver City and Ruidoso each have one small movie theater. There are art galleries, but I think you would go through them all pretty quickly.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM

888 posts, read 560,311 times
IF......you want anything resembling a "night life", you need to live within easy driving distance of Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Las Cruces.

Steve

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,923,503 times
There is no Palo Alto in New Mexico. It seems like you're looking for the impossible. I suggest you visit first. Every town you've mentioned is decidedly "sleepy" and a lot of us like it that way. And all of our cities would be "undeveloped" if your definition is "a lot of skyscrapers and cranes".

Santa Fe and Taos would be your best bet for low-rise towns with culture and lots of great restaurants, but they get very cold in winter. Summer nights very comfortable in the 60's or upper 50's. Lots of people with second homes in both places.

I know a couple that moved to Silver City from Chicago and it turned out to be much more of a "small town" than they bargained for. (I think the same would be true for Alamogordo and Ruidoso.) They ended up moving to Albuquerque.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 AM

32,939 posts, read 26,515,697 times
My wife and I are have been considering retiring to New Mexico for a couple of years. Our research has not yielded anyplace in NM that has both a country feel and high end entertainment. There is no place like Palo Alto.

I suggest Socorro because the New Mexico Tech University attracts very high level entertainment and a college student population can keep a place "young". It is also only about an hour’s drive from the great metropolis of Albuquerque. However Albuquerque is more like Sacramento than San Francisco.

Good luck on your search and I recommend getting a copy of the Benchmark Map Road and Recreation Atlas, contact the NM State Department of Tourism and, above all drive out and visit different places for a few days each.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 AM

888 posts, read 560,311 times
Santa Fe has a small but active "live" music scene.
Yeah, many of your galleries close when the sun goes down.
But there are loads of quite good restaurants to chose from, as well as a few small-n'-quirky bars, some of them with decent "live" entertainment.

Steve

Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,171,344 times
Perhaps Pinos Altos, rather than Palo Alto, is what was being thought of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico