Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:14 PM

82 posts, read 638,142 times

Advertisements

Out of curiousity, I may be in ABQ for business for about a year and I would like to know if there are any lakes, maybe ones you can swim in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,903,968 times
First thing to keep in mind is that New Mexico is a desert. There isn't very much water at all here. So if you are from a place that has an abundance of water typed features, you will be very nostalgic for Water. Do not let that deter you, New Mexico is a gorgeous state and has tons of other features.

Now that said, there are not any lakes in the Albuquerque area, but there are quite a few lakes you can go to that aren't toooo far. The biggest lake in the state is Elephant Butte Resevoir. It is about 2 1/2hours south. This is were I would recommend to go. There are a few smaller lakes in Northern New Mexico that are just gorgous. If you are intersted, the state also has a large amount of hot springs. A few trips to Mountain Hot Springs would be very enjoyable. Hopefully someone with a little more experience will give you imput.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:16 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,394,738 times
I like water--grew up in MI. Moved to PA when I was twelve and missed the lakes. So in 1995 when I was considering moving to New Mexico, I looked at a map and saw that there was a river in Santa Fe. I thought, if I miss water, I can go sit by the river.

I did enjoy the Santa Fe river in the spring one year when there had been a lot of snow in the mountains and there was water in it. It is not a river, more of an arroyo (although I learned it use to be a swampy area but growth has changed it.)

The interesting thing is that most of the men I knew in NM owned boats. When I missed water, I would go to sailing on Heron (north) or motorboating on Abiquiu. One friend takes the boat he built to Elephant Butte and another drives to the big lake on the border of AZ/UT - the name is escaping me this early. NM is a state where people don't think much of driving far for something they want to do. (I'd also hike in the Pecos area when I was missing green.) It is a beautiful state - I'm hoping to move back.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,146,994 times
Other lakes of interest:

*Lake Cochiti (30min north of Albuquerque)
*Lake Conchas (2hr east of Albuquerque)
*Santa Rosa's many Lakes
*Fenton Lake
*Bluewater Lake
*Abiquiu Lake

I recommend you head to Santa Rosa first for swimmable, divable lakes. Albuquerque's only water park got dismantled a year ago and is supposedly being reconstructed there.

Re: Albuquerque's indoor water park, they have their signs out like they're still working on it, but they certainly aren't going to make their late summer 2007 deadline, and I doubt late summer 2008 or earlier.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
Keep in mind that the vast majority of lakes in New Mexico are reservoirs made by damming rivers, not natural lakes. As a result they tend to be cold and silty. They are mainly used for boating/fishing.

I'll second the recommendation to go to Santa Rosa for swimming. These "lakes" are actually sinkholes some of which have flooded their basins and look like quite nice ponds for swimming.

Finally, there are some tarns in the high peaks of Northern New Mexico. These are very shallow and are delicate ecosystems. No swimming (or even camping within their basins). They are beautiful though.

ABQConvict

Old 11-20-2007, 02:12 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,034,599 times
I found some good pictures of the Bottomless Lakes:

bottomless
and
Bottomless Lakes Photos

-----< this probably deserves a separate thread >-----

surfing from the second site, I found this cool site:
New Mexico Photos

There seems to be at least one picture of every small town in New Mexico.

For most people browsing in from some other place, they would say "why bother?" but for most of the people on this board, you could waste a lot of time looking at these pictures.

The church in San Ysidro is featured! These people are good.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 PM

16 posts, read 93,022 times
This is werid... I grew up in MI now live Erie,PA and thinking of moving to ABQ. Iam excited about the move, but I know I will miss the lakes.......

Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM

44 posts, read 172,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvercetti View Post
Out of curiousity, I may be in ABQ for business for about a year and I would like to know if there are any lakes, maybe ones you can swim in.
ONLY IS YOU LIKE TO SWIM IN MUD! LOL

Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 PM

17 posts, read 139,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvercetti View Post
Let's put it this way... if you forget to pack your swim trunks or swim suit, you won't miss them.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:22 PM

576 posts, read 2,301,025 times
Default Nice lakes near where you live

jskarpe asked me in another thread about lakes within a short driving distance from Clovis. Since Mortimer says that I am statistically in the top ten for starting threads on this forum, I thought I'd live up to my rep and start this one.

Camping season is here and we're probably all looking for great lakes where we can spend some time camping, swimming, fishing, and hiking. What are the best lakes near your home?

Me! Me! I'll go first!

Ute Lake: 2 hours. Camping, swimming, fishing. The sky was incredible at night, so were the coyote songs.

Bottomless Lakes: 2 1/2 hours. Camping, swimming, scuba diving (?)

Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge: 48 minutes. Camping, wildlife watching

Oasis State Park: About 20 minutes away in Portales. No lake, but there is a 3 acre fishing pond. Right now they are having trouble with the liner and it is empty. Nice prairie camping there, though.

The city of Clovis has a couple of small lakes just for fishing, too.

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico