Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Six Sinful Burgers (broken link)
I am soooooo hungry now and I just ate a couple hours ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hi-Di-Ho is better than Blake's, they've been around forever, but they are very expensive.
Ya get what you pay for...they are so good at Hi-De-Ho... and up in Timberon they have great ones also...so fresh... Will have to take Cathy there..
Jane

Old 07-31-2007, 11:58 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Smothered Green Chilie has to be in the Rabbit Ear Cafe here, least hte last one I had was!

Green Chilie Burger was in the Blue Corn Cafe in Santa Fe, absolutely fabulous!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 PM

17 posts, read 63,465 times
This is the worst thread ever! I have never been so hungry for a green chili cheeseburger. Not ever!

(And I'm housebound... so this is like being on Survivor... )

I used to really like the green chili cheeseburgers at the Mineshaft Tavern in... Cerrillos... I think it's Cerrillos.

MMMMM.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Brian,

For years, Clayton has been our stopping place for lunch on our way home from NM to Kansas.

There was a place out on one of the main drags ... heading south? .... that was a good place to eat. But the last time we went through there it was closed. I want to say it was something like "The Tip Top Cafe"??? Do you know what place I am referring to? Is it still there? They had some GOOD food .... including great green chile. yummmm....

Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Default Smothered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Smothered Green Chilie has to be in the Rabbit Ear Cafe here, least hte last one I had was!

Green Chilie Burger was in the Blue Corn Cafe in Santa Fe, absolutely fabulous!

Brian, I am new to some of the terminology. Would that Smothered Green Chile be a burrito or a burger or ?

I am putting together a list for us all and I don't want to miss a thing. Thanks!

~Clair

Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 PM

232 posts, read 846,225 times
Well I have been in New Mexico all of two weeks and I have eaten out almost every day so far

The best green chile burger I have had so far (according to my decidedly untutored tastebuds) has been at Benny's in Los Lunas.

It was absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to keep sampling

Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Best green chile cheeseburger--the results

The librarian in me just wants to catalog things and make lists, so I have verified names and places and summarized the results of our informal survey here. Here you go, chileheads, these are the places that got our votes. Now all you have to do is to go on tour and decide which you all like best.

Statewide: Blake’s Lotaburger (great onion rings, too). 76 locations—see them at Lotaburger: Welcome

Alamogordo: Hi-D-Ho Drive In

Cerrillos: Mine Shaft Tavern

Clovis: Bill’s Jumbo Burger; Kelley’s Bar and Grill

Los Lunas: Benny’s (also in Bosque Farms)

San Antonio: The Owl; Manny’s Buckhorn Tavern

Santa Fe: Blue Corn Cafe; Bobcat Bite Restaurant

Texico: Town and Country Food Store

Timberon: High Country Lounge and Grill

Great article about the best burgers:
Six Sinful Burgers: ¡Sabroso! Southwest Dining & Entertainment - Las Cruces, New Mexico - Culinary Traveler (broken link). Here are the places mentioned. The article was about hamburgers in general—but those with a star were praised for their green chile cheeseburgers…
Carrizozo: The Outpost*
Las Cruces: Dick’s Café*
Day’s Hamburgers
El Paso: The Charcoaler
San Antonio: The Owl Café*; Manny’s Buckhorn Tavern*

More about chiles, if you just can't get enough:
NMSU Chile Pepper Institute: http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/. You can become a member, receive a newsletter, or just read the web site, which is full of information about chiles and growing them. Check out their online catalog to order seeds, books, posters, or t-shirts.

~clairz

Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Great list, clairz!

Okay, I'm confused though. Is the Mine Shaft Tavern on the list the one in Madrid?

I KNOW there is one there .... and I know they have GREAT green chile burgers.

It doesn't seem like Cerrillos could have a place with the same name.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Great list, clairz!

Okay, I'm confused though. Is the Mine Shaft Tavern on the list the one in Madrid?

I KNOW there is one there .... and I know they have GREAT green chile burgers.

It doesn't seem like Cerrillos could have a place with the same name.
Darn! There goes the list. I was so careful about checking, too. When I google "Mine Shaft Tavern Cerrillos" I get 2846 State Hwy 14 N, Cerrillos, but when I google "Mine Shaft Tavern Madrid" I get just as many hits with the same address in Madrid.

Is there any way I can edit the list now? I know you can edit for a while, but that option seems to have gone away. Wish I'd thought to ask you to look it over before I published the post...

~clairz
P.S. On the other hand, Google Maps shows it in "unincorporated Santa Fe County" near Madrid, with a mailing address of Cerrillos. Sounds like a confusing situation all around.

Last edited by clairz; 08-07-2007 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico