U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM

15 posts, read 149,317 times
Default Smell of Desert after Rain

We are new residents of Las Cruces, and took a weekend trip this past weekend to Carlsbad Caverns. Absolutely a "must see" !!!

On the return trip, we drove through a thunderstorm.

After the rain, we noticed that wonderful smell that everyone on here mentions. Amazing!

My question is this: What causes that smell? Sort of sage-like but not exactly.
Does anyone know what is actually making that scent????

John
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM

3,062 posts, read 5,691,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post

My question is this: What causes that smell? Sort of sage-like but not exactly.
Does anyone know what is actually making that scent????

John
I think it is God.

Unread 07-30-2007, 03:52 AM

12,936 posts, read 22,063,702 times
John....irs mainly the ''Creosote Bush'' that covers the southwest deserts i.e. the Sonoran, Mohave and the Chihuahuan here in New Mexico.. These plants are very moisture depedant for a desert plant so they have the longest roots of any up to 80 feet to get to water. Secondly they have pores all over them to get mousture so they really open up after any rain to absorbe it hence the awsome smell it produces. Whenever i go home to Alamo to visit as soon as i get to Carrizozo and turn south on U.S.54 even without rain the smell of fresh rain is strong do to so many Creosotes there so i'll roll down my window and enjoy for about 15 min or so.

You can see them mixed amongst the cacti in this picture.

Unread 07-30-2007, 05:09 AM
TKO

674 posts, read 1,293,413 times
I'm under the impression that creasotes or greasewood exudes ozone when wet and that's what we smell. Whatever causes it, I agree with Towanda, that it comes from God somehow. It smells really good!

Unread 07-30-2007, 07:42 AM

We generally visit our property near Santa Fe every fall, and some years the smell of the chamisa in bloom is another strong and wonderful smell that I love.

We often don't have rain there at that time of the year, but whenever it does rain, we just drink in that wonderful rain smell. I never knew before that it was the creosote bush that caused it. Thanks for that information you guys. There is a wealth of good information at this forum!

Unread 07-30-2007, 07:43 AM

P.S. I LOVE that picture, harry o. How I wish I were there right NOW.

Unread 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM

7,817 posts, read 10,472,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
P.S. I LOVE that picture, harry o. How I wish I were there right NOW.
Well, that particular picture looks like El Paso to me.....which I also love.

Time IS just dragging!!!! I whined so much that the moving manager took pity on me and moved it up to 7 instead of 14...!

Unread 07-30-2007, 08:32 AM

574 posts, read 1,328,708 times
Default Everywhere I want to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I think it is God.
Towanda, I love you, girl! You are everywhere on this forum that I want to be and your posts always make me smile, or nod, or laugh out loud. They won't let me give you any more pos rep until I "spread it around," so I hope this will do. Now, get on down here from Kansas!

~clairz

Unread 07-30-2007, 08:46 AM

15 posts, read 149,317 times
Default Rain

Thanks guys!

Harry - excellent pic - exactly what it looks like. The curious part of me always wants an explanation for the part that simply sits back and enjoys.

We had more rain here overnight, and waking up to that smell is great. Then I start the coffee to mix with it :-)

I agree - this forum is a wealth of information, and I'm happy to be a part.

John

Unread 07-30-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the nice compliment, clairz. I love your posts too; I am living vicariously through you who have already made it to NM ahead of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Now, get on down here from Kansas!

~clairz
Trying trying trying. Everything seems to be in slow motion. We will get there about six months later than we thought we would....the current plan is for Spring of 2008. (Just in time for me to get registered to vote in the presidential election in the fall. )

Sorry for the thread drift.....talking about the rain smell is much better than talking about my stressful move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico