U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,575,085 times
Default Highland Springs Ranch

Anyone know anything about this development near San Antonio, NM? What kind of a place is San Antonio?

Highland Springs Ranch

Thanks,
OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM

2,799 posts, read 4,000,770 times
San Antonio consists of two nationally renowned hamburger restaurants, a highway junction, and little else. There's a post office and some houses in there, but it really is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it place.

Socorro, 10min north, has a population of 10,000 and has a disproportionately large number of amenities people need, from Wal-mart to supermarkets to specialty stores.

Albuquerque (ABQ), 80min north, is the closest airport with commercial service.

Don't expect to grow much in those parts; water rights are what's valuable.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM

32,911 posts, read 26,401,403 times
We stayed at the Casa Blanka B&B in San Antonio during our trip a few years ago. It was very quiet except for the peacocks. The Buckhorn has the best Green Chille Cheeseburgers. The views from this development should be spectacular. Aw, to have real money.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We stayed at the Casa Blanka B&B in San Antonio during our trip a few years ago. It was very quiet except for the peacocks. The Buckhorn has the best Green Chille Cheeseburgers. The views from this development should be spectacular. Aw, to have real money.
The 140 acre parcels are being advertised as low as $50K. 20 acre parcels are as low as $20+K. But I am always afraid of reality being different than printed ads.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,111,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
The 140 acre parcels are being advertised as low as $50K. 20 acre parcels are as low as $20+K. But I am always afraid of reality being different than printed ads.
I'm continually amazed at how these so-called "developments" lure people to buy sight unseen. There is a valid reason why the land remains uninhabited - basically because it's considered by the average person to be uninhabitable. As for relying on photographs for information, consider that today - with digital technology - even the basic color of the terrain can be altered to look like it's eternal springtime when in fact that area is typically stark and desert-like and tends to green up after the seasonal rains in August, only to return to dry desert once the infrequent rains depart.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,303,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
There is a valid reason why the land remains uninhabited - basically because it's considered by the average person to be uninhabitable.
Now that's a little harsh...

Most people want to live where they are close to all sorts of amenities, and NM has a lot of land that simply isn't. Sure... this spot looks like it's a fairly barren desert, water might be tough to come by, electric seems to be spotty, dirt roads could wash out in the summer rains, etc. But... it isn't all that far from Soccoro or TorC, there are nice mountains to the west, not very expensive, and it's only a couple miles off the freeway... so not super isolated. Could be ok for someone who is looking for that... but you definitely need to check the details out thoroughly before laying down your cash.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm continually amazed at how these so-called "developments" lure people to buy sight unseen. There is a valid reason why the land remains uninhabited - basically because it's considered by the average person to be uninhabitable. As for relying on photographs for information, consider that today - with digital technology - even the basic color of the terrain can be altered to look like it's eternal springtime when in fact that area is typically stark and desert-like and tends to green up after the seasonal rains in August, only to return to dry desert once the infrequent rains depart.

I am continually amazed at how people make assumptions about what someone will do based on one single question and a single comment .

I asked if anyone knows what this development is all about - if everyone said it sucked and stay away - that would save me an airline ticket and a lot of expenses....

OD

Old 04-26-2011, 05:41 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,111,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I am continually amazed at how people make assumptions about what someone will do...
My remark was not directed at you, but at the practice of luring people into seemingly unbelievable land bargains with deceptive advertising, etc. There are literally thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of acres of useless desert lands throughout the southwest that have been sold - often sight unseen - to the gullible. In some cases people years ago bought as little as an acre of land and find themselves now stuck with it since in some instances (Texas particularly) it cannot now (under present laws) be sold because its under 20 acres in size.

As for what the area in question (this thread) looks like, there is always GOOGLE MAPS SATELLITE VIEW that will give a general idea. Unfortunately, it happens that the area was blanketed in a rare snowfall when the satellite images were photographed.

However, it's possible to "travel" the length of IH-25 using GOOGLE STREET VIEW to see what land each side of the highway looks like without snow. Also view from street level the village of San Antonio via US-380 where it intersects the interstate. There is an overpass at San Antonio where the interstate crosses US-380 that gives an elevated view of the village.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM

32,911 posts, read 26,401,403 times
This development appears to be in the hills West of I-25. They look to be arid (what is not) chaparral with pinion pine and grass. I will look closer using Google Earth this evening.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,303,282 times
Pinion? I don't even see juniper. Chaparral, grass, and a few cactus.

They say 26 miles south of Socorro, which looks to put it ~6 miles north of where 25 and 107 intersect.

But... this map locates it (at least this portion) much closer to San Antonio. http://www.highlandspringsranch.com/...in-shadows.php

Last edited by rruff; 04-27-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico