Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,112,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Considering that our 100lb dog rather rudely woke the snake up from its afternoon nap, I'm pretty positive it would have been fatal
I have a friend who had a medium sized dog that got bitten by a rattler and didn't seem to suffer that much for it. Of course she managed to get it to a vet fairly quickly, but I don't know if the vet had anti-venom or not. In any event, as implied, the dog survived just fine with only a swollen leg the obvious consequence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,166,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I have a friend who had a medium sized dog that got bitten by a rattler and didn't seem to suffer that much for it. Of course she managed to get it to a vet fairly quickly, but I don't know if the vet had anti-venom or not. In any event, as implied, the dog survived just fine with only a swollen leg the obvious consequence.

Guess that would make it a "lucky dog"

Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Guess that would make it a "lucky dog"

Actually it might have been because the dog had such a good attitude - its name was ROSIE!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,218,944 times
I think you have prettyw ell gotten your response. Normally you won't have to worry but to be safe have them all vaccinated.

Nita

Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,969,163 times
Had 4 horses on our 120 acre ranch and they were fine. I think they can sense a rattler; and they have very sharp hooves and can stomp them out.
I did kill 5 rattlers close to the outbuilding/chicken house last year....
I would not worry..
Jesh; and were are thinking of moving "back" to MN?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM

56 posts, read 151,292 times
So I have 2 Doxies that track and root out anything that leaves a scent... maybe they should live inside all of the time - or is what I've heard called "snake fencing" worth investing in? My other dog, part GSD, Kelpie and something very suspicious looking (rescued from northern Michigan) thinks it's his DUTY to clear "his area" of outside intruders... now there is a dog looking for trouble! And there's my TB gelding that thinks it's good sport to chase down our local coyotes. . . I guess my pack of animals are going to have some MAJOR adjustments!!! And I guess I better forget about going barefoot in my pottery studio... ?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Now that I've read through all of the replies again, I'm wondering... I plan to make one of the out buildings into my pottery studio... do I have it sprayed for spiders first, gut it, then respray? If so, how long does the spraying last? Unfortunately, I'm pretty allergic to pesticides and wonder how much down time there'll be from the spray - and how often do I need to do that... I don't suppose there's a way to peacefully just avoid each other is there?

AND, what about wildfires... I'm looking at the Estancia area now - any advice or warnings about smoke or fire danger in that area?
Thanks.
T.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,546,549 times
Out buildings? I would clean them out, shop vac them. I would spray for bugs. Do you know how to spot Black Widow webs?

I spray or put granules down for bugs outside twice a year... But it will depend on where you live and a lot of factors...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Another caveat when cleaning out older barns/sheds and such that might have harbored mice. Wear protective breathing masks and protective (long sleeve) clothing. Any evidence of mouse droppings should prompt special attention - decontamination. Hantavirus is a potentially deadly disease that is transmitted to humans by rodents and there are cases of it every summer in New Mexico. Plague is another one that is found in state's rodent population.

Further information on hantavirus prevention can be found by GOOGLing.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Wow! I never knew that about mice... there are a LOT of mice in Michigan - one lives in my house in fact! My cats are too well fed to hunt I guess, I'm wondering if the mice in Michigan carry the same diseases... better go check.

And NO, I have no clue as to what a black widow spider web looks like, I'll try google-ing it.

Thank you all again.
Terri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico