Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
I don't know how it can incovenience anyone to have green chiles in the fridge.
Well, then it does not inconvenience you...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 PM

121 posts, read 299,160 times
There is nothing wrong with having frozen chile in the fridge,in fact, isn't that how most people do it. You have to store that box full somewhere.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
There is nothing wrong with having frozen chile in the fridge,in fact, isn't that how most people do it.
I know how I have done it on and off for 30 years or so. I have some frozen chiles, I have some canned chiles, jalapenos and habanero etc, and I have a variety of commercially jarred salsa'a made by others...

I consider my self pretty boring, but I do like a bit of variety....

Rich

Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM

563 posts, read 1,498,652 times
I have no idea how to roast chiles or even buy them. I was at the store looking at jars of green chile and thought I could buy a couple to give her. I'm flying from NM to ME and she is flying from ME to the UK. I was looking for a brand name I could get at Lowes grocery or Wal-Mart.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
I have no idea how to roast chiles or even buy them. I was at the store looking at jars of green chile and thought I could buy a couple to give her. I'm flying from NM to ME and she is flying from ME to the UK. I was looking for a brand name I could get at Lowes grocery or Wal-Mart.
On the left is "Hatch, Fire Roasted, Diced Green Chiles, Hot", they are New Mexico chiles which have been roasted and diced. That's not salsa, sauce or stew etc... Ignore the can on the right, yes, Wal-Mart, I was doing some taste tests.

I would also get some jars of New Mexico Salsa, that is what I do, maybe that stew I showed above (I keep cans of it on hand for emergencies)

I have in the past picked chiles, sorted them, cleaned them, roasted them, cleaned them, diced them etc... No bull. I don't think you want to do that...

Make it a gift that they will enjoy...

OK, that is it. The end of my tirade, advice etc, unless there is a specific question.

Good luck to you!

Rich

Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,391 times
When I first moved here eight years ago, I wanted to be a real New Mexican. So, I roasted a year's worth of Hatch chiles on my bbq grill. It took my respiratory system more than a week to recuperate from that experience.

These days, I let the store folks do the roasting . . . just like most New Mexicans. ;-)

Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM

121 posts, read 299,160 times
Quote:
Are you by any chance in SE New Mexico? I know they dont eat chile in that part of the state like they do the rest of NM, its still popular there just not on the same level.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:12 PM

563 posts, read 1,498,652 times
I'll get a couple of the Hatch green chile for her. Thanks Poncho.

I am in SE NM. I don't know too many people here yet, and the ones I do know don't eat it.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,091 times
Quote:
I'll get a couple of the Hatch green chile for her. Thanks Poncho.

I am in SE NM. I don't know too many people here yet, and the ones I do know don't eat it.
There is a huge green chile farm called Graves Farm about 10min SE of Roswell; what's unique about them is they'll let the chile sit on the plant until it turns red on the plant before it's harvested.

My family chile expert swears their chile is better than Hatch.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,075,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy
These days, I let the store folks do the roasting
. . . just like most New Mexicans. ;-)
I'm with you. -- I'd put a tub of frozen diced green chile at the top of Zoidberg's list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg's list
*Frozen fresh roasted in bags (preferably prepared by hand)
*Freshly roasted peppers
*Chile ristras
*Frozen or refrigerated in tubs (Bueno or Hatch brand)
*Canned chile
I don't care if the "Frozen fresh" is better. It's not enough better to beat
the convenience of just using a spoon on the prepared stuff by Bueno.

Bueno, BTW, only used New Mexico chile. Not Mexico, not China, but NM.

When I was in California, I used to have Bueno shipped to me. After all costs,
it worked out to about $8.50 or so per tub that cost only $2 in the grocery store.

I was happy to pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812
I was at the store looking at jars of green chile ...
No jars. --- Frozen plastic tubs.

Not "mild" or "medium" either. Only get "hot" chile. If the end user
needs less "fire" then they can mix it with some canned stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico