Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,766 times

Advertisements

Just have Poncho ban them.

It's super effective.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I still have weeds. %#@*! goatsheads especially. They are sticky and hard to see and difficult to pull out of gravel. They don't seem to mind the dryness.

Someone told me the state has banned fireworks but I can't find anything about it. I did see TX banned them and people along the state line are worried the Texans will come to New Mexico to shoot the fireworks. Vendors are complaining they will be in the red if the fireworks are banned. And how much will it cost to put out a fire!

Dona Ana County Officials React To El Paso County Fireworks Ban - New Mexico Newsroom Story - KVIA El Paso
the worst weeds to have in fireworks season is cheatgrass. that stuff goes up like it was doused with gasoline.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM

167 posts, read 598,487 times
The thing that scares me about fireworks and the 4th of July is the drinking that goes along with the setting them off.

I urge people to be super careful, awake and aware this year especially as its so dry.

There are going to be more fires I feel sure of it. I will be home watching them from my yard, and making sure that the hose is at hand.

I love fireworks. The best firework show I ever saw was while I was travelling in India. I had the incredible good luck and timing to be in Mumbai during the second day of Diwalli. I stayed at the Taj Hotel/Palace and had dinner at the penthouse. Mumbai is a city of 12 million, and there are no bans on fireworks in the city. The restaraunt had floor to ceiling glass views of the city as far as the eye could see. The fireworks went on for hours and hours and hours. It was a lifetime high experience. I will never forget it.

The next day we left and headed North and the smoke lingering was like our worst day around here as of late.

Hope noone minds me reminiscing.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:41 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
The thing that scares me about fireworks and the 4th of July is the drinking that goes along with the setting them off..
Agreed! Even if they were totally banned, you have the ones who think laws do not apply to them. I am dreading the 4th this year.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Silver City has made it illegal to sell fireworks inside the city limits.
Due to severe drough and fire conditions.
A good step in the right direction for Silver City. Others should follow suit.
Like maybe start with Santa Fe??
HW

Old 06-28-2011, 01:28 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I must say that this thread goes well with the Fire in the Jemez thread. Texas is mostly under an 'exceptional' drought as well. Most counties have a burn ban, and no city around here that I know of allows firework sales within the city limits.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Gov. Martinez has now asked people to not buy or use fireworks this year.
Guess that pretty much sums it up.
Be safe and Sane and Sober.
HW

Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Texas is mostly under an 'exceptional' drought as well. Most counties have a burn ban, and no city around here that I know of allows firework sales within the city limits.
Close proximity to New Mexico really complicates matters in El Paso, where the city has a long-standing ban on fireworks sales inside the limits. In the past the fireworks sales were just moved to the county. But now the state of NM or Otero County would have to also ban sales since there are huge permanent fireworks stands where the city limits of El Paso bump up against the NM state line.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Started selling Fireworks in town here last week. Look forward to seeing the big fires ..... :S

Old 06-28-2011, 11:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
I agree that perhaps Fireworks should be banned, but how many fires have actually been proven to have been set by fireworks? I know a bosque fire was set by kids playing with fire, possibly fireworks (I do not recall) in ABQ a few years ago.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico