U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,141,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
They did 'man-on-the-street' interviews in Ciudad Juarez (i.e. right near New Mexico) and the one I remember laughing at the most was a restaurant owner who said something to the effect of, "I love New Mexico! One of our most prosperous states!"
Since it was part of Mexico until taken from them maybe it was his sense of humor. ? When I learned the history here I was told it can still be a sensitive subject in some areas of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,518,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Since it was part of Mexico until taken from them maybe it was his sense of humor. ? When I learned the history here I was told it can still be a sensitive subject in some areas of the state.
Those 27 years that it was part of Mexico really endeared them to the area.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 PM

542 posts, read 349,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Oh no - the issue wasn't about the taxes at all. The dealership thought my family was Mexican and tried to take them to the international border at Tijuana. They had never heard of the state of New Mexico.
I find this amazing but believable!

Was the dealership run by foreigners?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM

542 posts, read 349,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
Don't forget, Alaska is also an island, north of Hawaii. At least according to most US maps.
LOL! That most likely confuses some people!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM

316 posts, read 437,058 times
Some older folks still think Hawaii is an exotic place not a part of the US. I remember back in the 80s someone asked me if we still lived in grass shacks. Maybe that's what keeps NM special, we're still on the frontier as the 47th state in the union, AZ 48th, Alaska 49th. Hawaii 50th. When you think of the Birther movement, Hawaii isn't part of the US. Our disinvestment in education is paying off now in ignorance.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM

7,424 posts, read 8,159,737 times
Yet people seem to know a clear cut difference between New England and England? Though some don't know New England is a six state region in the very northeastern corner, I came across somebody that thought Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia was New England.

Honestly if I came across somebody dumb enough not to know New Mexico is a state I'd roll my eyes at them and explain it to them like they were 5 years old. It really is ignorrance.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM

631 posts, read 545,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know why geography isn't being taught more in the schools, but it isn't. I remember reading about New Mexico in the 3rd grade. My teacher, as much as she taught us some good things, geography wasn't the strong point. I read about New Mexico, along with the rest of the 50 states on my own. I went to the library and checked out encyclopedias, and read about the states in them. I read about New Mexico and it sounded like an interesting place to me, with the cliffs, the desert, Roswell, Gallup, adobe buildings, turquoise jewelry, Spanish and Native American culture, and some other things. I also learned the capitals of all 50 states in the USA. I learned this in the 3rd grade. My teacher was amazed that I was learning this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Luckily, my parents owned an atlas (not trying to brag or anything but we had a set of encyclopedias, too :-) so from the age of 6 I was aware of the existence and geographic position of every state if not what characterized them.
Growing up I loved reading encyclopedias. When I was really small my family had a set of The Book of Knowledge dating to either the '20s or '40s. It was specifically geared towards children, but it was quite sophisticated by today's standards. Later, we updated that slightly by acquiring two sets of the World Book from the fifties and sixties.

My dream has always been to buy a more updated version of the World Book. Unfortunately I can't exactly afford the $1,200 to do so. In the meantime I love Wikipedia. Sometimes I will spend hours on it going from article to article. I know it can't always be trusted, but I think it does give reliable information most of the time. At the very least it allows me to discover things and look for more information elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
100 million years ago, we had beaches and the water to go with them. Maybe she was just older than she looked.
This is hilarious!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,518,896 times
Quote:
When you think of the Birther movement, Hawaii isn't part of the US.
Are you serious with that comment? If so, talk about ignorance.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM

2,804 posts, read 4,337,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
My dream has always been to buy a more updated version of the World Book. Unfortunately I can't exactly afford the $1,200 to do so.
If you don't have your heart set on a brand new edition, three-year-old world books (print edition) can be had on eBay for about $200.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM

8,783 posts, read 12,074,780 times
To the OP: this belongs in One of Our Fifty is Missing....LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico