U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM

6,999 posts, read 10,904,030 times

Advertisements

Yeh thats my forum, sites going through a lot of changes right now.

Bunratty Meade is really good! We have some homebrewers that brew some of the best Meade's you will taste IMHO.

Economy wise Clayton is pretty stable, not sure if you need to work or not. With the prison here I think its going to be stable for a long time to come. Whether it grows or not is something I cant tell. A lot of old guard in on the important positions so one would say we wont see another major growth spurt untill they are gone.

Were not much of a prison town vs what I have seen and heard of other towns with a prison.

Good news is the Eklund finally opened up again, so we will have a bar again! We have a VFW and an Elks Lodge which serve beer but are not what I would class as a bar.

Crime wise, we dont really have that big a problem. We have Meth like every other town but dont really have the crime to go along with it. Ive been here since 2002 straight and only had one incident at my house and that was a few weeks ago. Dude tried to enter my house when he thought we were asleep I guess but it wasnt nothing a riled up Staffordshire Bull Terrier couldnt take care of while I got equipped hehe. Not really a big deal.

House wise you can check Clayton NM real estate listings and homes for sale, home buying, home selling information for houses, many have been on the market for a while. There are some fantastic deals to be had on houses but there are also some house prices that make you think WTF they are so high.

If you dont mind having to drive to get some essentials or order it online then its not too bad.

I am pretty sure they are still going ahead with a wind farm for Union and Harding County. Its pretty windy here which is one of my biggest drawbacks personally. Nasa's first wind turbine was here in Clayton which shows you how windy it gets and how constant it can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,315,625 times
I'd have to say that a guy trying to get into my house while he thought I was asleep is a fairly big deal. He'd likely develop a sudden case of lead poisoning.

I would think that Cimarron might be a good place to look. It's not far from Raton and is considerably more attractive, according to my recollections.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 PM

It may have been Catman, but I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that alerts me while I get my pistol out. Dude was gone before he could set foot in the door. Best dog in the world he is

Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,047,221 times
No one from Raton has shown up here. Any Raton folks who want to have a go at promoting your community?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,047,221 times
No one who lives in or has lived in Raton here?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,100 times
I'd love to move to Clayton but would need to work. The mild climate of the high plains is attractive.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:17 PM

What kind of work are you looking for ?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,100 times
Just about anything that could sustain me there

Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM

52 posts, read 78,194 times
Raton is your better choice. There is at least a Kmart there. Clayton no longer has any department stores. there used to be a Duckwall's, but it's gone.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 AM

You speak about Duckwalls like it had stuff that people wanted to buy though ....
There is a Dollar General which is better than Duckwall was.
Filmo, plenty of jobs at the prison that are enough to live on out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico