U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM
 
476 posts, read 2,089,570 times
Reputation: 190

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
The women in Durango are thin because they know when to stop eating after they had enough, not because of the health spas, hiking trails or the weather.
The women there hike, bike, jog and exercise alot. I think that has alot to do with it and they dont eat any meat or if they do, not much meat. They eat healthy too. Granola, fruit, etc. Oprah also said on TV that she didnt see any fat people anywhere in Durango either unless they were tourists. The people there are health loving people which is a good thing. We all should be more like they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 AM
 
Location: Ely mn
49 posts, read 338,116 times
Reputation: 32
Hahaha
I am a big girl and i eat very little. I get out and walk alot as well. It just depends, age sure does add some weight, and the steriods i was on for breast cancer, sure pack on the weight and it wont go away after treatment stopped.
But hey at lease i am healthy now, i will take the weight instead of cancer.
But yeah alot of people think cause your big you eat alot. and that isn't the case in so many.
Blessings
5 days and counting till my trip to farmington Nm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,089,570 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallista View Post
Hahaha
I am a big girl and i eat very little. I get out and walk alot as well. It just depends, age sure does add some weight, and the steriods i was on for breast cancer, sure pack on the weight and it wont go away after treatment stopped.
But hey at lease i am healthy now, i will take the weight instead of cancer.
But yeah alot of people think cause your big you eat alot. and that isn't the case in so many.
Blessings
5 days and counting till my trip to farmington Nm
Yes Kali, I know what you mean! I dont eat much either and I am not fat but have that Latino hiney, aka Jennifer Lopez butt. The clothing designers all design all the cool clothes for the pencil thin stick girls and try wearing those low cut jeans on a "hippy" girl and it looks terrible! Alot of it is genes too. I have a friend now living in San Antonio and she is very big but eats like a mouse. It is just genetic in her family, they are all big. Guys just dont understand about women. They eat all they want and look fine and even if they are fat, it is ok for them but for a girl to be fat is not ok from society point of view. Sad but true. I have come to terms with myself that I am not going to be a pencil but I feel sorry for the young girls today who have such high pressure to look like the Olsen twins. For myself, I dont think it looks healthy to be that thin but that is me. Anyway, I am happy for you on your Farmington trip! Oh and have that Blakes Lota Combo, that is what it is called when you order a hamburger, fries and a soda at Blakes, and eat to not being a pencil girl! Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 AM
 
Location: McKinney, TX
271 posts, read 1,009,682 times
Reputation: 196
The problem of overweight is simple mathematics, if the body gets more calories than the body burns, the excess is stored as fat. The trick is to match the calories ingested with the calories spent, foods that don't seem to be fattening, may carry tons of calories. One Club Sandwich carries 800 calories just like a slice of cheese cake. A nutritionist can help to find out how many calories one needs and how to match it with the appropiate quantities of adequate food. Overweight affects men and women equally and it's a health risk for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,089,570 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
The problem of overweight is simple mathematics, if the body gets more calories than the body burns, the excess is stored as fat. The trick is to match the calories ingested with the calories spent, foods that don't seem to be fattening, may carry tons of calories. One Club Sandwich carries 800 calories just like a slice of cheese cake. A nutritionist can help to find out how many calories one needs and how to match it with the appropiate quantities of adequate food. Overweight affects men and women equally and it's a health risk for both.
Tito, for some people, eating too much does equals fat but that isnt always the case. There are some who eat very little and are still overweight. I know a Native American friend here and he always watches what he eats under 1500 calories a day or less, but still is overweight and he execises too. Slow metabolism, thyroid problems, genetics and health also play a factor and not just eating too much.

Kalli, the days are counting down and you will be in Farmington. Hope you have a great time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2007, 09:26 AM
 
Location: McKinney, TX
271 posts, read 1,009,682 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Tito, for some people, eating too much does equals fat but that isnt always the case. There are some who eat very little and are still overweight. I know a Native American friend here and he always watches what he eats under 1500 calories a day or less, but still is overweight and he execises too. Slow metabolism, thyroid problems, genetics and health also play a factor and not just eating too much.

Kalli, the days are counting down and you will be in Farmington. Hope you have a great time!
People burn calories at different rates, some are slow burners, others are medium burners and there are some lucky high burners too. The high burners are the ones that can eat anything and any amount and never get fat. At the other extreme are the slow burners who gain wait with even an starvation diet. That's why there are nutritionists that can help to figure out what is the best plan for losing weight. Obesity is not a problem of beauty, it's a matter of life and death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 PM
 
476 posts, read 2,089,570 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
People burn calories at different rates, some are slow burners, others are medium burners and there are some lucky high burners too. The high burners are the ones that can eat anything and any amount and never get fat. At the other extreme are the slow burners who gain wait with even an starvation diet. That's why there are nutritionists that can help to figure out what is the best plan for losing weight. Obesity is not a problem of beauty, it's a matter of life and death.
I agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Ely mn
49 posts, read 338,116 times
Reputation: 32
I had breast cancer and was on lots of steroids, and i bloated up like Jerry Lewis did. but they say it will go away, its been 2 years and it hasn't. Oh well, i just do my part and make sure i burn more then i take in.

I know its right around the corner, i am so excited, i lay in bed thinking about the trip lol
I was told it takes 10 hours from phx to Farmington, not sue on that, but i am taking a different way, not going through flagstaff, i am going up on a angel that angels to 40 right on the border of az and nm then north from there.
theres a place right there on the border called yellow horse, its a trading place, they have those long colorful blankets for the couch, they look like horse blankets, and they sell for 5 bucks each, and are over 6 feet long i believe. I love all the colors they have too.
i already have a turq, black and white one
dark purple light purple and white one
red black white and gray one
purple and pink and white one
gray black and white one
but i need more lol
they are great for so many things

Sunday is right around the corner!!!!!!!!

cant wait to try those burgers..... yummy
blessings
kalli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 AM
 
Location: McKinney, TX
271 posts, read 1,009,682 times
Reputation: 196
Bloating and weight gain from chronic treatment with steroids is an undesirable side effect that is caused by a slowing down of the metabolism and water retention. This type of weigh gain does not respond to diet or exercise because is not dietary obesity and may persist even after stopping the steroids. "Kallista" is a very brave woman who should be an example for all those "cry babies" who have dealt with only minor problems and who have already given up on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2007, 04:47 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,089,570 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallista View Post
I had breast cancer and was on lots of steroids, and i bloated up like Jerry Lewis did. but they say it will go away, its been 2 years and it hasn't. Oh well, i just do my part and make sure i burn more then i take in.

I know its right around the corner, i am so excited, i lay in bed thinking about the trip lol
I was told it takes 10 hours from phx to Farmington, not sue on that, but i am taking a different way, not going through flagstaff, i am going up on a angel that angels to 40 right on the border of az and nm then north from there.
theres a place right there on the border called yellow horse, its a trading place, they have those long colorful blankets for the couch, they look like horse blankets, and they sell for 5 bucks each, and are over 6 feet long i believe. I love all the colors they have too.
i already have a turq, black and white one
dark purple light purple and white one
red black white and gray one
purple and pink and white one
gray black and white one
but i need more lol
they are great for so many things

Sunday is right around the corner!!!!!!!!

cant wait to try those burgers..... yummy
blessings
kalli
Hi Kalli! I have never been to Phx. I have been through Flagstaff though so I am not sure on hours it takes but when you get here, be sure and drive on Pinion Hills Blvd. It will take you all the way through the north and east parts of Farmington which are the nicer areas. Foothills Drive is another must to drive on. You might also look at the town of Flora Vista. They are building some new home subdivisions there but also there are some more rural homes down in through there. If you get a chance, go see Durango which is less than an hour away from Farmington. It is very scenic.

I know that people who have asthma some also take steriod medication too and they have the same problem of weight gain. I admire you Kalli for taking the positive side on life! Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top