U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 AM

49 posts, read 337,946 times

Advertisements

I hope they have internet at the place where we are staying at, it isn't listed, so i can post on our daily adventures around Farmington. Sunday is almost here. Not sure on traveling on Easter Sunday but i think the roads will be less traveled on, since on that day most will be in eating . lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 05:36 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallista View Post
I hope they have internet at the place where we are staying at, it isn't listed, so i can post on our daily adventures around Farmington. Sunday is almost here. Not sure on traveling on Easter Sunday but i think the roads will be less traveled on, since on that day most will be in eating . lol
Hi Kalli, I hope you are able to post for us on your trip. There should be internet access as most motels here have that. Keep us posted. Have a happy Easter.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,486 times
We moved to Aztec nine months ago and have had real problems finding something we can afford (and in a nice area) with the housing here so high! We are coming from Midland TX, where it is very affordable, into an area that is over-priced. We have found that building is going to be much more affordable, Triple Eagle Construction is very very reasonable for the area and I highly reccomend them.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,519,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieJ View Post
We moved to Aztec nine months ago and have had real problems finding something we can afford (and in a nice area) with the housing here so high! We are coming from Midland TX, where it is very affordable, into an area that is over-priced. We have found that building is going to be much more affordable, Triple Eagle Construction is very very reasonable for the area and I highly reccomend them.
From another Midlander.....I hear that!!

I'm in Farmington right now, my second trip, and will go out again tomorrow afternoon. It does sting when you realize that you could buy similar properties in Midland for about 40% less....

*groan*

I came from Los Alamos this morning (talk about OUTRAGEOUS housing prices.....it's pretty, but....)...and I will head for Alamogordo after I finish here, however it turns out this time.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 AM

Hi Cathy. I wish you well wherever you go. You might also look in La Plata, NM. A very small town right by Farmington. Not very many homes but may be cheaper than Farmington. Also out toward Dutchmans Hill in the east past Aztec, going to Durango has cheaper homes, just not alot of them though. May be too far for you. Flora Vista is another place that will have cheaper homes than Farmington but I notice the brand new ones are just as high. Anyway good luck and take care.

Oh and yes Los Alamos is incredibly expensive.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 AM

271 posts, read 1,009,061 times
I'm familiar with the house market in Texas because I used to live there and because two daughters also live there now. In Texas, you can buy property similar to the ones in New Mexico, for 50 or 60% less. I understand that turist towns like Taos, Santa Fe, Durango and Ruidoso have the "right" to charge whatever they want, but other towns with less or no tourists, also want to charge a lot, this does not make much sense to me because instead of attracting newcomers, they are sending them away. The price of the one bedroom condo that I bought in Las Cruces is 50,000 higher than the price I was asked for a built to order three bedroom house with a large yard, in Anna, TX which is a bedroom community North of Dallas, of course, I didn't like the terrain there, because it's very flat and boring with practically nothing to do in town, except manicuring the yard. Naturally, Las Cruces offers more fun to me than Anna, TX and that is why I didn't mind paying more since I had no choice.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 AM

3,012 posts, read 8,765,332 times
My daughter and her family live in the Dallas area, and they have a huge beautiful home that cost them at least $100,000 LESS than what we will be paying for our home in Eldorado at Santa Fe.

If you choose to live in New Mexico, one of the reasons certainly can't be low prices.

For us, being in the place where we want to live out the rest of our lives is important, but not without a huge financial sacrifice. We have had to make many downsizes as we developed our house plan, and we are being forced to go with a smaller home, and some less expensive options in building materials, appliances, etc.

HOWEVER....no one could PAY ME to live in Dallas.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,519,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Hi Cathy. I wish you well wherever you go. You might also look in La Plata, NM. A very small town right by Farmington. Not very many homes but may be cheaper than Farmington. Also out toward Dutchmans Hill in the east past Aztec, going to Durango has cheaper homes, just not alot of them though. May be too far for you. Flora Vista is another place that will have cheaper homes than Farmington but I notice the brand new ones are just as high. Anyway good luck and take care.

Oh and yes Los Alamos is incredibly expensive.
Thanks, Luv, I appreciate it. I did look in Aztec last time I was here, but didn't find anything....however, I think we are going to see a couple of new ones today.

I'll keep you posted. This is going to be the day I make the decision, I think, one way or another.

Los Alamos is not only very expensive...you have to drive everywhere for major items.

No, thanks, I don't think so.....

Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 PM

I hear you on having amenities right by you and in Los Alamos you really dont have much to do there or much shopping, or like our great rec center, hard to beat that. I just like all the amenities here in Farmington and not too many cities in NM offer all that but the cities of Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Las Cruces.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM

49 posts, read 337,946 times
No internet at hotel 6 like was posted on the site, but thats ok.
OMG what a trip
Farmington is a beautiful place. The people i found there were really nice, of course we met some crabby ones here and there and some that didn't speak engish but thats everywhere. Farmington is so much safer then phoenix by 1000%.
I looked all over and even the west and south sides are not as bad as here.
I fell in love with Aztec....
The cost of living, like for food is cheaper then here in phoenix. Elec is cheaper then here as well.
Apts i saw were from 450 to 600, and they were not bad at all, trailers were 450 for 3 bedrooms 2 baths. I had a lady walking down the sidewalk, as i was getting out of the jeep and she said " hello how are ya" like she knew me, now that doesn't happen here in phx at all. It does in Wisconsin where i used to live tho.
The weather, i loved it, it was cool, and RAIN!!! something we don't get alot of here either.
At the food places, they all got our orders right, here in phx they never do .
I saw lots of jobs in the paper as well.
One bad thing was min wage was 5.35 that i saw. but i do understand that the cost of living is cheaper and it balances out, but if you have experience you get paid more.
Farmington is a nice place, and Aztec is as well.
Aztec ruins was great to see. I had so much fun there.
The streets are easy to navigate as well.
I even went out at 2 am to look around to see what was out and about at that time. I saw nothing to make me feel unsafe.
The hotel we stay at had a few things happen at night, but so does all places after bar closes. My hubby called the office and they people were put in jail and cars towed, and they told us in the morning. They do not tolerate any trouble there at all. again tho, you get that at all hotels at bar time.
over all
Farmington is a great place, with good water, clean air and friendly people.
Blessings
Kalli
Sorry so short but wanted to get something in before i sleep. I will post more as this thread grows.
I must sleep now lol.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico