U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,859 times

Advertisements

I have an unbiased view of Farmington since I moved here a year ago from Canada. My impressions are:
- its just like any other town/city...each have their own problems
- yes theres crime but it doesnt necessarily follow you home.
- yes there are good parts of town and bad parts of town, so stay away from the bad parts and you'll be fine.
- Ive never seen shootings/killings...I only read about them in the paper
- the summer weather is great....hot days but cool nights
- the city is very mobile due to people moving in and out because of the oil business.
- for a small town it has plenty to do
- yes the Navajos may appear "rude" but that is not exclusive to them.
- I send my daughter to an absolutely wonderful school...Grace Baptist Academy. Do your research as some public schools are great and some are not...just like everywhere else.
Utopia doesnt exist so wherever you go you will see problems. Just do your research and find what best suits you. Best of luck wherever you decide to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:05 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,836 times
Amen Deesse, I could not have said that any better than what you posted! I agree with you totally!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM

49 posts, read 338,026 times
Moving the 1st of July..
Found GREAT 3 BEDROOM.. 1 1/2 bath, nice yard, fenced in as well, for 550 a month in Atzec...
I am so excited.....
Having lived here in phoneix for 4 years, and i am used to the seasons and snow and cold weather, it has been killing me lol.. I cant wait to see the leaves turn colours, and see green!!!!!
I want to thank everyone who has helped me find my home.
blessings

Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 PM

Hi Kalli! Good to hear from you! I hope your daughter is doing well. Welcome to the area! Aztec is a nice small town. It is not Beverly Hills or Fashion City but it is a down to earth friendly town. I think you will love it there. They have some of the biggest trees that grow there. Cottonwoods are huge in Aztec. It must have an underwater source because the trees flourish in that town despite being in the desert. Also Globe Navajo Willows do better in that area than about anywhere else for some reason and you will see large Globe Willows there.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 23,543 times
I am a chef, who would love to move to Durango, but will never be able to afford it. Started to look at Farmington, but dont want to get caught up in any right wing cowboy vs indian stuff. How is the food in Farmington? past the burger joint is it just a ton of chillies? /thanks.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighcuisine View Post
I am a chef, who would love to move to Durango, but will never be able to afford it. Started to look at Farmington, but dont want to get caught up in any right wing cowboy vs indian stuff. How is the food in Farmington? past the burger joint is it just a ton of chillies? /thanks.
It is OK, milehighcuisine. It doesnt have all the variety Durango has but there are a few good ones. The problem with Farmington is so many are the chain type of restaurants, you know, Red Lobster, Outback, Chilis, Golden Coral, Great China Buffet, Applebees etc. etc. All fine in their own right, but not the chef type of places. There are a few others like the Riverwalk that are more of the fine dining type of places. Durango though by far has the haute cuisine, I guess because of the rich people, the trendy people that live there and the tourists that like something different. Farmington is cheaper to live so quite a few live in Farmington, but work in Durango and vice versa. You might also look at living in Bayfield, not far from Durango since it is cheaper to live there and not far from Durango, about 20 miles.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,768 times
Default Farmington NM from Casper Wy

Hi everyone,
My Husaband and I are thinking of relocating to Farmington NM. We live in Casper WY right now. My question is what are the good schools? Do you have to live where you want your children to go to school. We have school of choice here. I was looking at some schools on the internet and Country Club school had a good rating. Is this true? Just need help with what neighborhoods to choose. Also if anyone has moved from Wyoming to the New Mexico are and how they like it. Thank you

Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaPeters View Post
Hi everyone,
My Husaband and I are thinking of relocating to Farmington NM. We live in Casper WY right now. My question is what are the good schools? Do you have to live where you want your children to go to school. We have school of choice here. I was looking at some schools on the internet and Country Club school had a good rating. Is this true? Just need help with what neighborhoods to choose. Also if anyone has moved from Wyoming to the New Mexico are and how they like it. Thank you
I live in Farmington so I hope I can help. The schools in the Country Club area is more of an upper class area so I would guess that area would have better schools. A friend of mine lives there and has a daughter who goes to school there and said it has a really good schools. Paso Robles is another nice area and up on the mesa where Morningstar and Wildflower Drives are, up in that area, is a nice area too. The Pinon Hills area is also a great area to live. Flora Vista is developing some nice areas too. The town of Aztec is a nice small town by Farmington and they have great schools. Stay away from West Farmington and out to Shiprock. East and North Farmington are nice areas and areas I recommend looking into. Also use the search function on this website and type in Farmington. There is alot more info on Farmington that will come up.
Here is a link on the school choice issue.
Announcements (http://fc.fms.k12.nm.us/announcements/?Plugin=Blog&Leaves&OpenArticleURL=S017FD1FB-017FD1FE - broken link)
Hope his helps.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 06-04-2007 at 11:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,768 times
Thank you so much for your insight. We are coming down next week to check things out this will help me decide where to look for homes.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaPeters View Post
Thank you so much for your insight. We are coming down next week to check things out this will help me decide where to look for homes.
You are welcome Brenda. Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico