U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,180,940 times

Advertisements

I lived in Farmington for a couple years,it is a town of about 43,000 people.It has a feel that no other town in the country has,lots of native american culture.Farmington has more businesses and more stuff to do than any other city in NM around its size.My sister went to elementary school here and she seemed to like it.My parents thought it was a good place for her to be raised.On the crime issue I would say its just like any other city of its size,maybe a bit worse.It is a oil field kind of town and lots of money in Farmington,people seem to live good here.The housing is pretty damn high for NM.I am still deciding if I wanna move back right now.

Winter is cold and summer is hot.Aztec(pop.7000+) is a nice town and probably most recomended by people,about 15 mins. from Farmington.Bloomfield is the town I would not wanna live in, more crime than a usual small town with drugs,gangs and a few gang related murders over the past couple of years.The high school even has metal detectors.

Average Sunny Days 273
Average Rainfall 7.5 in.
Average Snowfall 12.3 in.
Farmington Altitude 5,395 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 AM

186 posts, read 561,299 times
I'm from the Farmington area. Went to UNM and moved back for a job (crazy how I couldn't get a job in ABQ but I could here lol)... It is a small-town (~45,000 people) yet often times it feels more like 100,000 with all the residing towns' people coming into 'town' (from Durango, Aztec, Bloomfield, Blanco, Kirtland, Fruitland, Waterflow, Flora Vista, Shiprock [the Navajo Reservation], etc). It really is the hub of the entire Four Corners area. That said, you can pretty much get anything you need in Farmington. The atmosphere tends to lean towards the conservative side (that may/may not be a good thing to you). Also, as another poster on here stated, Durango is a short 30/45 minutes away and there are a lot of bars, skiing, water rafting, etc to do up there.

Overall, I think it is a good place to raise a family. Especially little kids. As they get older, there is a lack of things to do. But the same can be said anywhere, especially in small/mid size cities.

Hope that helps a lil.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 55,811 times
Default Possible relocation to Farmington - HELP!

Hi, all ~

My husband is considering accepting a position in Farmington, NM. We currently live in Ohio (near Cleveland), so New Mexico is completely foreign to us. Can anyone tell me anything about Farmington ~ what is has to offer for a young family of four, what the atmosphere is like, things to do (i.e., is it a family-friendly city), quality of life, etc.. Is it a boring place to live? Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,787,659 times
Where to start?

There are numerous threads on this web site about Farmington.

You can click on "City-Data Forum" at the top of the page and do a search on Farmington, and you will get a whole page of useful stats.

Then.....do a search (Click on "Search" at top of this page and type in Farmington) .... read everything you can ... get your specific questions together....then come back and ask them.

That seems to be the best way to gather information and still be pro-active on your own behalf.

Good luck!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 AM

12 posts, read 38,400 times
I loved Farmington, best place I've ever lived. I made great friends, it was easier to do there than in a big city. We're from the DFW area of Texas and are now back here. I would move back to Farmington in a heartbeat-- it's a day's drive or less from the most varied and fantastic places. But then, we lived in the "rich" area near Ladera school, close to Pinon Hills... I know well how hard it is to find safe places to live in NM; I would totally stay away from Chama, Espanola, most places in Albuquerque (and I love Albuquerque but I know some hair-raising stories concerning the gangs), etc.

Drunk drivers from the reservation are a problem, but not too much if you stay off the roads away from town at night.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,273,316 times
Default silver city

I couldn't vote because the poll was closed, but of those three choices I would pick Silver City.

The three cities you mention have very different flavors. if you like Santa fe, you may also like Silver, although population-wise it's smaller. But they do have the Gila Regional Medical center and a university, so it's definitely on the map.

Some people don't like Silver because it's "too liberal" but when I was there I didn't get that vibe at all. I like it because everyone seemed very friendly, and for me personally, the scenery blows either Las Cruces or Farmington away. Also, it has much less of a "sprawly" feel than either Cruces or Farmington.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 AM

2,857 posts, read 5,863,606 times
Silver City is very different from Cruces and Farmington. Cruces and Farmington are bustling, growing cities, very much commerce oriented. Silver City is a smaller, slower paced tourist-oriented town.
Cruces and Farmington are for working and living, SC is for fun.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,413,068 times
Cathy4017: Are you considering moving to Farmington from Alamogordo? I thought you really liked it there. Too hot in summer?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,581,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cathy4017: Are you considering moving to Farmington from Alamogordo? I thought you really liked it there. Too hot in summer?
Catman, that post was written before I ever even visited Farmington.....10/2006.

I first drove up there in Feb 2007 or so.....and looked at several places. I made another trip up there (while also researching other areas, as well as Alamogordo) in April 2007, made an offer on a house that was accepted.....and went home. Since I had been researching Alamo, I decided to check it out, so I took another way home....spent a night there....and I really, really liked it.

The property inspection (with some very negative items) came back on the house in Farmington, and the seller wasn't particularly negotiable, so I terminated the contract. My original plans were to go back to Alamo, look around....I didn't expect to really find anything, but.......the rest is history. I went back to Alamo in May, spent 2 days looking, made an offer that was accepted, and went back home. My original plans were to go on back up to Farmington and work with a builder, but I found this place here, so...they finished it in July, I closed here in July....went back to Midland, sold and closed my house within a week or so....and came here in August!

As long as my parents are still alive...and I have to drive back and forth, I will be here. I can get home a lot sooner on I-10 at 400 miles than I ever could from Farmington at 800 miles, and a hard road on top of that.

So, it ended up working out for the best. I do love it here, even though I know the summers are going to be hotter and longer than they are in Farmington....and I will see within a couple of years or so if I want to stay here permanently (it is very beautiful here) or go on farther north where it is colder.

So....we'll see!!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:22 PM

15 posts, read 83,483 times
Default Bloomfield is NICE! Check it out.

I want to put in my two cents here about Bloomfield, NM which is a great alternative to living in Farmington or Aztec. I admit that I am biased because my husband grew up in Bloomfield and we have a home there. We are also putting our money where our mouth is because we have small spec home for sale in Bloomfield (anyone want to buy it? :-)). We believe Bloomfield is THE place everyone will want to be in the next few years. It is has a more rural feel than Farmington. The people are hard working, friendly, and down to earth. The prices on homes and land are not yet as high as Farmington or Aztec. The city has made great strides towards improving the infrastructure and schools. Bloomfield has a brand new beautiful public pool, tennis courts and park that hardly anyone ever uses. We love it in the summer time. The high school athletic program seems to produce some great athletes. Everyone knows everyone and there are alot of activities around community, church and family. Oh yeah...the thing I like best...it is NOT Arizona. It is close to Navajo Lake, Camping, Fishing, Colorado, etc! There is even a small winery in a canyon on the way to the lake that has jazz on Sundays. I love New Mexico!

By the way - please check and compare the crime statistic of Bloomfield compared to Farmington and Aztec on the links below. I think that crime being higher in Bloomfield than the surrounding area is a myth that has been perpetuated over the years through alot of unfounded prejudices. There were ZERO murders reported in Bloomfield for 2001-2006 if the information on the links below is correct.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: bad grammer and typos :-)!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico