U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM

949 posts, read 2,890,135 times

Advertisements

A downside of this area is that it is the one area in New Mexico that looks like it won't meet the new ozone standards. (There is a separate thread on this.) A lot of things contribute to ozone, but in that area it is probably coal burning electrical generation. Some of the projects in the works may go through -- so the problem could get worse before it gets better.

I mention this because you have a family and may want to think about the long run implications of air pollution for the kids.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 03-27-2008 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,179,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne Kinnard View Post
I want to put in my two cents here about Bloomfield, NM which is a great alternative to living in Farmington or Aztec. I admit that I am biased because my husband grew up in Bloomfield and we have a home there. We are also putting our money where our mouth is because we have small spec home for sale in Bloomfield (anyone want to buy it? :-)). We believe Bloomfield is THE place everyone will want to be in the next few years. It is has a more rural feel than Farmington. The people are hard working, friendly, and down to earth. The prices on homes and land are not yet as high as Farmington or Aztec. The city has made great strides towards improving the infrastructure and schools. Bloomfield has a brand new beautiful public pool, tennis courts and park that hardly anyone ever uses. We love it in the summer time. The high school athletic program seems to produce some great athletes. Everyone knows everyone and there are alot of activities around community, church and family. Oh yeah...the thing I like best...it is NOT Arizona. It is close to Navajo Lake, Camping, Fishing, Colorado, etc! There is even a small winery in a canyon on the way to the lake that has jazz on Sundays. I love New Mexico!

By the way - please check and compare the crime statistic of Bloomfield compared to Farmington and Aztec on the links below. I think that crime being higher in Bloomfield than the surrounding area is a myth that has been perpetuated over the years through alot of unfounded prejudices. There were ZERO murders reported in Bloomfield for 2001-2006 if the information on the links below is correct.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I can recall a couple of murders in Bloomfield while in lived in Farmington in 2003-2005,they might have been outside the city limits though since alot of it is rural.There was also a murder this month there,and they all seem to have gang ties,but for some people Bloomfield may be nice,but the people I got to know there had other sides to them I found out,I know this dosent represent the whole town.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 06:03 AM..

Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Question I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne Kinnard View Post

By the way - please check and compare the crime statistic of Bloomfield compared to Farmington and Aztec on the links below. I think that crime being higher in Bloomfield than the surrounding area is a myth that has been perpetuated over the years through alot of unfounded prejudices. There were ZERO murders reported in Bloomfield for 2001-2006 if the information on the links below is correct.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I don't get it. I went to this source and see that the violent crime rate for Bloomfield has gone through the roof. Bloomfield's violent crime rate is three times that of Santa Fe, and several times that of Albuquerque, Farmington or that of the entire state.

And now it turns out that they are not reporting all the murders?

Why did you post this link?

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 06:03 AM..

Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM

261 posts, read 820,133 times
Bloomfield is a nasty little place. It has no downtown, only an intersection of US Hwy 64 and 550. The high crime rate is due in part to the gang problem and the meth problem in the county. For some reason the Bloomfield/Blanco area has been home to several gangs that date back to the 50's and have never really gone away. It's also home to several enclaves of illegal immigrants. (They're not responsible for the violence, but facilitate some of the drug trade in the county). Of the three towns in the county (Aztec, Farmington, Bloomfield) Bloomfield is the least attractive by virtually any measure.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 83,477 times
Interesting feedback folks. I would love to hear from someone else that actually lives in Bloomfield about their experience. My experience in living there along with my husbands is very positive. I don't interpret those crime statistics the same way as previous posters and that is why I posted them. To me, it looks like Bloomfield does not have any more crime than Aztec or Farmington but I will take a closer look. There was an article in the Albuquerque Journal about how NM's crime stats get skewed and manipulated. It explained that NM's crime stats compare poorly to crime figures in other parts of the country because of the way NM's population is spread out. I do believe these stats are not necessarily representative of "how safe" or "how dangerous" somewhere might actually be. Unfortunately, sadly, there are gangs and meth along with all their negative attributes almost everywhere anymore. Keep the faith!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,179,757 times
My girlfriend is from Aztec and I've heard some of the stories she has of Bloomfield,she knows all about the crime there, and when I did hang around with some of the people over there I was surprised at how much meth was around that town and the gangs add to that.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Good news on energy generation

Here's good news about energy generation. The Navajo Nation reached an agreement with a Boston based corporation to generate wind power. It could be an ideal solution. The Navajo Nation has the land. Only question is do they have the wind. They will be assessing that.

Navajo Nation working on wind energy - SantaFeNewMexican.com

Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
Default Farmington for a short stay..

I just graduated from college and have been applying for jobs for about a month now. The best offer I've had by far has been in Farmington. If I put in a year or two of service and get the necessary experience, this job opens doors for me in places like San Diego, Salt Lake City, Denver and Phoenix.

I've lived in Florida and North Carolina my whole life, but am very well traveled. I've been out west a couple of times, including two weeks in Albuquerque and a summer in Phoenix. I know generally what I'd be getting myself into. I want to return to the South eventually, but while I'm young I want to see as much of the world as I can.

So I'm looking at taking this position, temporarily for a year or two, in Farmington. As a 22-year-old who has spent the past four years in the epitome of a college town, I have a few questions. I love outdoor activities. I live on the beach currently and surf or boat almost every day. Ski resorts and the Appalachian Trail are a mere four hours away, so I also frequent those. I know I'll love the outdoor activities Farmington and Durango have to offer, so I'm not concerned about entertaining myself during the day. My question is, will there be something for me to do at night? I'm not talking about every night, but would there be a bar with a decent crowd of people roughly around my age one or two nights a week? I wouldn't know a soul if I moved there and while I'm very independent, I'm also very social so I'd need to have some people to talk to on occasion.

A few other random questions: is there a humane society? I'd like to adopt a dog, I grew up with four dogs and haven't been able to have one in college. Is there a Barnes and Noble, Books-A-Million, or some kind of large bookstore? Electronics store, like Frys or Best Buy? What about apartments? I know the north and east sides of town are ideal, can anyone recommend a complex...probably around the college? Is there a sports bar/restaurant that would have TV packages? I have to watch every Carolina Panthers game (we play Denver this year, I understand that's Farmington's team of choice. That should be a fun Sunday). Lastly, is there some kind of a big gym, like a Planet Fitness or Gold's?

Thanks for ANY information ya'll can offer.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 11,816 times
Default Life, Living, and we want to move to Farmington, NM

Hi all,
I read through some of the recent threads about Farmington and I like what I see so far, but the information isn't as exact as I need it to be.

I am being recruited for a job by an energy company. Right now we are in Tucson. It's myself, my wife and our two young sons (3 and 5), and we're very poor here. The energy company job offer would put us solidly in the middle class. We want a better life for our sons and we just can't make it happen the way we want to in Tucson. I LOVE Tucson, and will go back someday, it's just that right now the opportunity is in Farmington.

So, the first thing I was wondering about is housing. What does a 3 or 4 bedroom house in the country lease for on average?

Could you please tell me about the different areas/districts? My five year old starts school in the fall. Is it just one big school district in the area, or does every town have its own school system? And if so, what are the better ones (i.e. Art and music programs are a must, and sports, etc.)

What are the better, peaceful areas in the country? I don't want to live on top of the mountain, up a 10 mile long 4WD road, but I don't want to be able to throw a rock and hit the neighbors house either. Right now we live in an apartment for the first time in years and we find it very unsatisfactory. (A three and five year old boy...They're LOUD!!! And "boys will be boys" the old adage goes). We want our boys to grow up knowing about and raising their own animals and fruits and vegetables and things like that. Our five year old already shows an interest in hunting and they like Elk and venison. "Daddy, daddy, shoot the deer so we can eat it."

And what about activities, like Head Start for our three year old. Or music and art programs, as our five year old wants to go to art school (Tucson has good charter/specialty schools) and our three year old says that he wants to learn how to play the drum. Is there a swim club at a local YMCA or the school that is open for all residents to join not just students? How is the little league, soccer, etc? Parks, museums, kid friendly family activities. Our boys are used to having lots of different choices in places to go and things to do.

I really want a good life for all of us and it seems like the monetary aspect can be handled with this job offer. Now I'm wondering how to put together the people, education and growth part of it. I want my family to have a fairly nice house to live in, big yard, lots of animals and fresh vegetables, and a safe place to grow up.

Please feel free to email us at black_petal@yahoo.com. Please include in the subject line "RE: Farmington" so it doesn't get accidentally deleted. We Freecycle, Craigslist, among other things so we get a lot of email daily.

Does anybody know of any decent places to lease that are in a nice area, with a little bit of land, pet friendly (we have a cat that likes to strike fear into all things small and fuzzy), etc.?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Janis, Mike, Lucian and Julian

Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 83,489 times
Wink What we have and don't have...

I live in the country between Aztec and Farmington and we've been here 18
years. I can answer some of your questions.

Yes we have a large Best Buy but not as large as a big city one.
No Borders or Barnes and Nobles but a large Hastings, a small Waldens in the mall and various small local book stores.

The college is the best gym in town, new, state of the art and only $45 a semester to join. There is an old grocery store presently being made into a National chain gym...I can't remember what brand. There is the Royal Spa but it is old. But my brother goes there as it has a pool.

There a lot of new apartments along Pinion Hills Blvd that look really nice. But I have no knowledge about apartments. The older ones off 20th tend to look rundown, crying kiddos, old cars. That is just my impression.

I can't help you with night life , I have a son a year younger than you! As a mom I'd say there aren't there better places than bars to find friends? There is a nice coffee shop bookstore called Andrea Kristina's in downtown Farm that my son's jazz band plays at. They have bands every Fri and Sat and great books good sandwiches and drinks. That is nice place to hang out. The bar at chilis has Big Tv's all around it with sports on and I see lots of young people in there. Clancy's Pub also, I'm sure there are more but I am not up on that sort of thing. Durango is a young person's haven and an hour away. If you lived in Aztec you'd be closer to Dgo and pay less rent than Farm. Actually Aztec has a very active group of young adults who hang out together. As musician I see them when we play at local evetns. They seem "Cool" and appear to be having fun. Come to the Blues festival in July if you are here by then and you'll met lots of neat YP if you like the music scene. I'm sure you'll meet people at work too.

Farmington and Aztec both have a humane society. Dog adoption from Aztec is $40, Farm is $95. They are nicer and more helpful at the Aztec shelter. You can see the puppies they have now by going to
Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. and putting in this zip code - 87410. You might have a hard time finding an apartment that will take pets. However there are lots of small mobile homes for rent outside of town where you could have dog. Mobile homes are not dangerous here with our climate and there are a lot of them.

You will have climate shock since you are from humid climates and we are DRY DRY. You will go thru bottles of sunscreen and lotion till you a climate. That's what others have told me who moved here from the south. We are a mile high and you will burn faster.

I think you could find a group to hang with and enjoy our sunshine. But you will have to take teh initiative to the work to go out find them. If you hang out at the college events and be friendly you will find them.

Good luck, we like it here and my college age son plans to come back here when he graduates.

Mesavista
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico