U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,525,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesavista View Post
I live in the country between Aztec and Farmington and we've been here 18
years. I can answer some of your questions.

Yes we have a large Best Buy but not as large as a big city one.
No Borders or Barnes and Nobles but a large Hastings, a small Waldens in the mall and various small local book stores.

The college is the best gym in town, new, state of the art and only $45 a semester to join. There is an old grocery store presently being made into a National chain gym...I can't remember what brand. There is the Royal Spa but it is old. But my brother goes there as it has a pool.

There a lot of new apartments along Pinion Hills Blvd that look really nice. But I have no knowledge about apartments. The older ones off 20th tend to look rundown, crying kiddos, old cars. That is just my impression.

I can't help you with night life , I have a son a year younger than you! As a mom I'd say there aren't there better places than bars to find friends? There is a nice coffee shop bookstore called Andrea Kristina's in downtown Farm that my son's jazz band plays at. They have bands every Fri and Sat and great books good sandwiches and drinks. That is nice place to hang out. The bar at chilis has Big Tv's all around it with sports on and I see lots of young people in there. Clancy's Pub also, I'm sure there are more but I am not up on that sort of thing. Durango is a young person's haven and an hour away. If you lived in Aztec you'd be closer to Dgo and pay less rent than Farm. Actually Aztec has a very active group of young adults who hang out together. As musician I see them when we play at local evetns. They seem "Cool" and appear to be having fun. Come to the Blues festival in July if you are here by then and you'll met lots of neat YP if you like the music scene. I'm sure you'll meet people at work too.

Farmington and Aztec both have a humane society. Dog adoption from Aztec is $40, Farm is $95. They are nicer and more helpful at the Aztec shelter. You can see the puppies they have now by going to
Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. and putting in this zip code - 87410. You might have a hard time finding an apartment that will take pets. However there are lots of small mobile homes for rent outside of town where you could have dog. Mobile homes are not dangerous here with our climate and there are a lot of them.

You will have climate shock since you are from humid climates and we are DRY DRY. You will go thru bottles of sunscreen and lotion till you a climate. That's what others have told me who moved here from the south. We are a mile high and you will burn faster.

I think you could find a group to hang with and enjoy our sunshine. But you will have to take teh initiative to the work to go out find them. If you hang out at the college events and be friendly you will find them.

Good luck, we like it here and my college age son plans to come back here when he graduates.

Mesavista
I am SO glad to see a positive comment on the Farmington area. I like it, too, but will be in the Alamogordo area (which I also like very well) for a while yet. I like the climate in that the summers are cooler in northern NM than they are here in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 PM

29 posts, read 83,323 times
Default Farmington has bad rap

Yep Farmington area has been pretty malinged here and it's too bad. It really has a lot ot offer and a few small things don't make it an unlivable/unenjoyable place. Of course there are down points-is ther anywhere tah tdseonot have some?- I could write a post about that..but hey if it's his best job offer..and our economy is good here, might as well focus on the positive!

Mesavista

Old 05-31-2008, 03:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,525,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesavista View Post
Yep Farmington area has been pretty malinged here and it's too bad. It really has a lot ot offer and a few small things don't make it an unlivable/unenjoyable place. Of course there are down points-is ther anywhere tah tdseonot have some?- I could write a post about that..but hey if it's his best job offer..and our economy is good here, might as well focus on the positive!

Mesavista
Very much agreed.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 AM

29 posts, read 83,323 times
Sent you an e mail to your listed addy.
MV

Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM

186 posts, read 559,878 times
Farmington has its own school district. All of the outlying towns have their own school districts as well, except for the kirtland/shiprock area (central consolidated school district).

Farmington is unusually high when it comes to home prices for New Mexico (outside of Santa Fe and Albuquerque). To get more bang for your buck, you may want to look outside of the city, say Aztec, Bloomfield or Kirtland. However, since one of your sons is starting school next year, that should play a role as well. As far as school districts, Farmington Public Schools' Piedra Vista district tends to be seen as 'better' than Farmington High School's district (PV district lies within the newer part of farmington, near the college). When it comes to elementary schools, sorry, as I can not help you out a lot there. I'm sure someone else on these forums could help you out there though.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away or email me if you'd like.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM

186 posts, read 559,878 times
Rightstuff, I'm a 26 yr old male who lives in Farmington. I'm from this area, so my experience with this is a little different than what you will be experiencing. I went to UNM in Albuquerque and came back for a job. While it has a college here (community college), it is not your traditional college. Because of that, you may find Farmington lacks the trendy spots college towns tend to offer. However, less than an hour north, you will find Durango, which is your trendy little college town tucked in the mountains.

Farmington has a few spots to hang out at night. They aren't as plentiful or large as you may be accustomed to, but they do get the job done (going out to have a good time).

As mesavista stated, the gym at San Juan College is your best bet for a gym membership. It is cheap! The other gym she was alluding to is a Defined Fitness. They currently are only located in the Albuquerque metro, but feel Farmington is a good investment so they are venturing into the Four Corner's market.

Unfortunately, there is a not a 'major' bookstore here. Again, mesavista was right on when she mentioned Hastings.

Electronics - a smaller Best Buy, there is an FYI which focuses on movies and music.

I think you could make the most out of Farmington as long as you come in knowing what you are getting into. Realize you are not moving near a beach, near a major college with college-type amenities. You are moving into what i consider a family-oriented environment (i'm single, with no kids). You say you have been to Albuquerque and Phoenix and although they are in the same region of the country as Farmington, they really don't have a lot in common other than being in a dry climate.

If you enjoy the outdoors, you will love it here as the weather is near-perfect, humidity is non-existent and natural disasters don't touch down here (except for the occasional dust storm). Also, some of the best skiing is not far away. You have Durango Mountain Resort and Taos Ski Valley (which is less than a drive away).

Good luck with your search, I know how stressful it can be. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:19 PM

28 posts, read 140,235 times
Sent you a big long email. Hope you got it.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 54,006 times
Default farmington, nm- A good move?

Hi, I'm an elementary school teacher who has been a stay at home mom for the past 3 years. My husband and I are looking to move closer to family in NM. I see that Farmington is hiring quite often. I have been there once, but would love to know more information about it. I have two small boys, one who will begin Kinder this year. We are originally from MT, so the climate is not a problem for us. I have heard there is a gang problem there, is this true? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,737 times
Default Info needed from young professional moving to Farmington NM

Hello,

I will be moving to the Farmington NM area for a job position. I am 24 years old and have never been to the southwest before. If anyone can offer any advice/facts about the area that would be great

Some things i would like to know about would be housing. What area would be good to live for somebody my age? Any surrounding cities, that would not be too much of a commute, i can live in?

I am looking for an apartment/housing I can have a dog in. Any advice would be great. I am just starting to research and look for places.

Thanks, I appreciate any help!
Please email information to wkooper20@yahoo.com

Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,149,391 times
Farmington is a small but busy city,it has more than any other city in NM around its size, I used to live there but I didnt really like it but I know many people who love it, its all in ones opinion I guess,there is a mix of cultures in Farmington- Spanish/Mexican/Anglo and Navajo so that is good.

Northwest side of Farmington is nice and mostly newer developments,when I moved they were building some nice little townhomes(I think) off of 20th st

the southside of the city is more rundown
and the westside of the city is so so, but alright,I guess it just depends on where
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico