U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,158,537 times

Advertisements

from what I hear from my girlfriends family that the oil field is always hiring, they have a hard time finding and keeping people due to drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:07 PM

261 posts, read 818,749 times
Try this link to the classified job listings in the local paper. There is still work to be had up here, especially if you have a trade. There never seem to be enough plumbers or electricians. The oilfield is fairly steady right now, with the majors like Halliburton and BJ Services and Weatherford always looking for drivers. If you have a CDL, a clean driving record, and can show up on time every day clean and sober you can work for just about any national company up here. I don't want to over sell it, but it's hard to find people who will work hard around here for some reason.

I will caution you that housing is relatively expensive compared to other places in the southwest. Not terrible, but we don't have an oversupply of affordable housing up here.

Top Jobs - Farmington Daily Times (http://www.daily-times.com/topjobs - broken link)

Old 09-14-2008, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,810 times
Question sjbasin Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Try this link to the classified job listings in the local paper. There is still work to be had up here, especially if you have a trade. There never seem to be enough plumbers or electricians. The oilfield is fairly steady right now, with the majors like Halliburton and BJ Services and Weatherford always looking for drivers. If you have a CDL, a clean driving record, and can show up on time every day clean and sober you can work for just about any national company up here. I don't want to over sell it, but it's hard to find people who will work hard around here for some reason.

I will caution you that housing is relatively expensive compared to other places in the southwest. Not terrible, but we don't have an oversupply of affordable housing up here.

Top Jobs - Farmington Daily Times (http://www.daily-times.com/topjobs - broken link)

[SIZE=5]sjbasin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5] thanks for the info I had a class A DL years ago I can get a cdl permit and I have a clean DL .I'm ready to jump in the van with my family and camp out up there I just want to work I have applyed for 60 jobs in the last 70 days here in tucson I just want to work hard and do well for my family .With 3 paychecks we could rent a place [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]I looked up a shelter up in farmingtom We could do it for a few weeks Just anything to get back on our feet[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5] thanks everyone for the info[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5] mike davis[/SIZE]

Old 09-14-2008, 06:35 PM

mike71469--

Im pretty confident you will find a decent job in Farmington when you get there, my g/f's dad said they need plumbers too and people with CDL's. If there was any city in New Mexico that would be easy to find a job I would say it would be Farmington, I use to live there but it just aint the city for me due to g/f family and other people.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,288 times
Smile farmington NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl18 View Post
Hi everyone, I was thinking about moving to NM from AZ next month or so. What are the good and bad things about the Farmington/Kirtland/Aztec/Bloomfield area? Some people told me it was a wonderful place to be at and some told me I would better off just about anywhere else,after reading what some people have said I'm not to sure.How is the job market,rental prices and availbility,crime rate,areas to avoid?I'm going to be in my second year of college but don't really care about the night scene.I have only been to Farmington once for a few days so really didn't get to see so much.How are peoples attitudes towards newcomers or just in general?Anything else you can tell me would be helpful.
Thanks in Advance.
Hi I have lived in farmington for 7years. I love it here. The shopping is wonderful and the people friendly. There is lot to do, yet it still has a small town feel. Cost of living is average, there are tons of jobs but most are mimium wage. The college is great! If you can find a nice place to live you will like it here.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 AM

622 posts, read 1,496,235 times
Default Farmington, NM

Hi everyone

My family and I are relocating to the Farmington area for work. The reason I'm writing is because Farmington is a hard place to dig up information on! There's really not a huge amount that I can find on the internet, and I can usually find out just about anything I want to know. Of the little bit I have been able to glean, some of it has been scary, to be perfectly frank. I read an article on the the Daily Times website and the comments that were left were positively frightning! Total "anti" rantings on race, religion, treatment of "outsiders" vs. "born-in-farmington-ers". I have to say it's left a bad taste in my mouth and a bit of a "what the hell are we doing moving there?" sort of panic.

So, with a hope for clarity, I'm appealing to anyone from Farmington to maybe give me some info on the city. Also- I'm not looking to put anyone on the defensive here either, or think that I'm down on Farmington, I'm just trying to understand where I'm going to be living and raising my children. I'm hoping I was just hearing from some loud malcontents. I really want to be involved in the community, and I would love for it to be just that, a community.

I've read on chowhound that some have the opinion that Farmington is culinarily challenged in terms of restaurants and good food markets which I'd like to get some input on, and I hope that is just misinformation..I'm a big foodie!

I also can't find any information about knitting groups, or music groups or hiking groups, or other sorts of community groups online. Maybe I can get a little info on some of the community things that go on as the info on the net seems only to be for Durango.

Thanks in advance, and if you'd rather email me in person rather than post, my email is minathebrat at gmail dot com. I appreciate it!

Last edited by Minathebrat; 11-07-2008 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: oops, typo:)

Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 AM

I dont know anything about the groups you mentioned, but I do know Farmington is one of the places you either love or hate, I lived there for a couple years and I hated it, the place is just different. I wasnt treated like an outsider but all the friends I made were from other states. Im not sure about the religion or race issues but I did hear some racism, but my sister went to school there and liked it.

sorry I cant help with too much info

Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 PM

622 posts, read 1,496,235 times
Thank you Desert Sun for responding.

I'm hoping that my first post didn't seem overwhelmingly negative and put people off responding..really, that wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I was just a thrown off my loop with the animosity I came across on the Daily Times forum. I'm just trying to gather information about where I'm going to be living from across the country and without ever having been there! lol

Does anyone know if Farmington has a new resident packet like I read on another post that Albuquerque has?

Thanks everyone

Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM

464 posts, read 1,017,914 times
Hi Mina,

Don't worry, I doubt you've offended anyone We 'get it' LOL

We seem to be pretty Positive here in this Forum {tho some do get trips to the wood-shed from time to time LOL }

And we are sprinkled with some negatives, but that makes it Honest to most- POV
As for the- Daily Times? was it....I look at it as I do most/All "Press"....Negatives= SELL Even the blogs.

I personally don't know or remember much about the NW corner area of NM {I was pretty young when we travelled through there }, But, here is the Link for the San Juan County and area/Farmington Chamber of Commerce:

www.gofarmington.com

They have an "800" number as well: 888-325-0279

I think they should have a packet and then, ask for More

Look/read on their site and see what else might help you and yours.

I Do remember on another trip when older and in Colorado: Mesa Verde NP. {just over the border}. Do Not Miss This once there in the area- Awesome!

Also "Song" suggested a wonderful idea- get a Frommer's or like travel guide book on- New Mexico.

And....do a Search in this NM forum, being a New member here, you might not have complete access to everything yet, but check up near the top of the page for the Search section. Put in Farmington etc., see what else has been previously posted about that area in this Forum. OR you can scroll through the Archive pages here, for more too

And, Remember- alot of Gov. offices/places types- will be closed tomorrow for, Veterans Day Nov. 11th

Hope this helps,

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 11-10-2008 at 10:33 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM

261 posts, read 818,749 times
I've lived here for over 50 years.

For the most part, Farmington is a train wreck. More bigoted than not, bereft of any cultural amenities, and populated by a diverse population who don't care to mix with each other unless forced to.

If you're a family who like to hang out in the front yard of the doublewide with the pit bulls chained under the house while you work on the 4x4 and drink beer you're going to love it here.

The only reason to be here is the money.

Truthfully, there are some redeeming qualities. I just can't think of them right now, but I'll post 'em when I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico