U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,713,971 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was researching SW Colorado and I wanted to get my butt out to CO, and not real sure where yet. As a stepping stone, I can transfer to Farmington. I also have the advantage of Greeley/Loveland. I am single/and almost 50.....Just wondering if this would be a good place to retire, or settle down in, or if I should try to get closer to Fort Collins area, and transfer to Loveland/Greeley. Those of you who live in Farmington, or SW Colorado area, maybe u can give me a rundown of the area, and compare it to Fort Collins area? Would, or could u do that for me?

Also, if I wanted to find a room, or a studio....Are there certain areas that would be safer for me than others? I can pay up to $425. Or if someone can give me a rundown on zipcodes I can look up....I would appreciate it.

I know NM would probably be nicer weatherwise, but I am just wondering if I would be happier in the Northern part of CO for now.

Today, I called and they offered me a job in Farmington so now I am spinning wheels here trying to figure out whether I would like it in that area or not.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 PM

827 posts, read 4,544,245 times
Hi Sillygal, you can call or go online to the Farmington Chamber of Commerce and ask them your question about best area and apartments and such. I personally would try to live close to the Pinon Hills Golf Course or San Juan Country Club Golf Course or out in that area. Avoid west Farmington and south Farmington. Look in the north around the Pinon Hills area or east. It is safer in those areas.

The Farmington Chamber of Commerce:

Phone 1-505-325-0279
Toll-Free 1-888-325-0279
Fax 1-505-327-7556
gofarmington.com

You can also go to Yahoo and then yellow pages, type in Farmington, NM and then refine your search to apartments and it will list all the apartments in the area with phone numbers. The Chamber of Commerce would have better knowledge on exact apartments then I would. I just know that the apartments in the areas I mentioned are better to live as far as neighborhoods go.

About Farmington and the desert. It is in a desert. You can go to Durango though and be there in less then one hour, so that is nice. You can also look in Aztec, which has more trees and greener. It is still desert looking outside of Aztec though. Fort Collins is a nice city but it is much colder up in the far north of Colorado. It gets more wind too. I don't know if you'd like that. Farmington, NM has mild winters.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:44 AM

10 posts, read 35,488 times
Cool farmington

hi
everything i have read here ,about farmington,kind of scared me.my daughter and in are moving to farmington next year ,most likely around march.her bestfriend lives there.my daughter will go to college there,right now we are in spokane,wa ,which i never did like spokane ,so i don't have a problem moving.any info on farmington would be nice .like renting house or apartment.i sure can't find much on the web.thank you

Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,649,839 times
Farmington is not bad at all. They have a nice community collage (san jaun) on the north side of town. I would find a place to live in that same area.

There use to be lots of drunken native americans in the downtown area they may have cleaned that problem up not sure as it has been several years since I lived there.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 PM

827 posts, read 4,544,245 times
You don't have to be scared moving to Farmington. Like _yb said, try to live in the north area or east area near the college or by the golf courses. Most of the crime is drug related so if you don't use drugs, don't worry about it. Yes they do have homeless in the downtown area and in the west end, there are some Native Americans who roam round but are generally harmless. They will try to sell you something or may ask you for money. Many are alcoholics (who are roaming around downtown). The east end and north areas are fine. The south area has most of the Mexicans, many who don't speak English, or some English. There are nice suburbs around the area which are quite nice. It isn't a bad city. It is a pretty big city and just like all bigger cities, you have good areas and not so good areas. Just try to live in the east or north areas and you'll be fine.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 AM

10 posts, read 35,488 times
Smile thank you

thank you for answering my post.does anyone now of any website for apartment and such ,you would help me out alot.
any info at all would help me right now

Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
_yb

Call the Farmington Chamber of commerce at 505-325-0279 tell them what you are looking for. Let them know that you are looking for housing a short distance from San Jaun collage. They may be able to help you out. I'm sure they would send you a relocation packet.
You could also check there website http://www.gofarmington.com/
good luck to you.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,534,395 times
thank you for answering my post.does anyone now of any website for apartment and such ,you would help me out alot.
any info at all would help me right now.

The link he gave you is a good one....I got a relocation packet, and they put together a very nice package, very informative and helpful. The newspaper also sent me a complimentary copy...and I am subscribing to the Sunday-only by mail at this time.

It can really help, so be sure to vist the link...and request a package, OK?

Old 09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
_yb

The link to the farmington daily times may also help you out.
http://www.daily-times.com/

Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 AM

94 posts, read 560,178 times
Default General info on Farmington?

Does anyone have any opinions on the general quality of life in Farmington? What kind of town is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico