U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,145,525 times

Advertisements

I would say its quiet but its not crime free, I seen more crime in 2 years in Farmington than I have in 4 years here in Albuquerque.

[SIZE=4]KOB.com - FBI: Farmington ranks among top violent cities[/SIZE]

there's a link for ya, I know some people will say its not right and the numbers are screwed and all that but the FBI reported it. Its for 2007 and even though the stats may look bad for a city dosent mean its some hell hole, you may never even feel in danger or be a victim of a crime. Its not always as bad as it sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM

622 posts, read 1,494,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
Yes true. But several people have mentioned to me that when they are in public in Santa Fe or Albuquerque, especially in their car, they make a point not to look at other people due to fear of "provoking" some response.

If that's true, why live someplace where you are afraid to look at other people?

Well, actually I was referring to NY lol. But I'll be moving to Farmington soon...I'll let you know. Can't be worse than North Las Vegas NV..that place is an armpit.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 PM

21 posts, read 39,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Are you speaking from personal experience? I have never witnessed or been subject to this kind of behavior. If this were true, seems like the newspapers would be full of stories about this activity.
It seems simple to me, don't go around flipping off people, and they won't follow you till you get of your car. Most driving infractions(wether they are justified or not) simply aren't worth the unknown outcome of a confrontation. The other idiot may have a knife or gun, abd hey it just isn't worth the time and wasted energy.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM

125 posts, read 390,957 times
You're absolutely right about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
Well, actually I was referring to NY lol. But I'll be moving to Farmington soon...I'll let you know. Can't be worse than North Las Vegas NV..that place is an armpit.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 10,620 times
Default Job in Farmington

Hi Everyone,

My wife, 3 year old son and I have to relocate from washington DC, I have been offered a Job in Farmington, I have thoroughly read the posts on Farmington and I dont think it would be a good place for us to live, but I have also picked up that 3 other places from this site that sound good, Taos, Durango and Las cruces, How far a commute would it be from any of the three to Farmington, I appreciate any help, we will be renting to start off with.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 08:27 AM

261 posts, read 817,966 times
I'm curious about what would make someone think Farmington is worse than DC.

You could commute from Durango to Farmington, many do. It's a hour or so, except in the winter when the roads are snowpacked. Taos and Las Cruces are out of the question, as they are about a 4 hour and 6 hour drive, respectively.

If you're going to be living in Durango you'd better be taking a job as a brain surgeon. It's a very, very expensive little place to live. The outlying areas are a bit better, but still not cheap. You might consider Aztec and areas between there and Durango. It's rural, but not isolated.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,620 times
thank you, for the info, I dont think DC is better than Farmington, I just know DC better and know there are a lot of things to do, it is also surrounded by metropolitan cities of Maryland and Virginia, if you read some of the posts I have read about Farmington, you would probably have the same questions I do. I am sure Farmington is fine just want some insight from all of you out there that know, like acess to gyms, sports clubs, shopping mainly family activites for a young family. I looked online and saw that Durango was 50.55 miles away. I am not a brain surgeon, but the income will be just fine

Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,646,464 times
Have you looked at a map? Taos and Cruces to commute to Farmington.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:01 PM

23,873 posts, read 17,577,017 times
clearly not, _yb.

funny, i'm from farmington but now live in DC - i'd take farmington [and surrounding area] any day.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,646,464 times
I lived in Farmington for a few years when I was a kid and I always thought it was a nice place. We lived on the north end. We always had plenty to do as kids. Baseball, YAFL and boys club basketball. I lived really close to the Animas and that took up alot of my time also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico