U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 AM

707 posts, read 2,650,338 times

Advertisements

Actually the whole Four Corners region is quite nice. In Farmington you have 4 cities/villages; Farmington, Aztec, Bloomfield, Shiprock being the biggest. There is plenty of shopping the schools seem to be good, and if you like the outdoors WOW what a place. You have world class trout fishing below Navajo Dam (aka Quality Waters), plenty of areas to hunt nearby in the San Juan Mountains, there is Navajo lake if you into fishing, boating, and water skiing. Durango is only 45 min away and that place is beautiful, plus if you enjoy snow skiing/snowboarding what a great resort. Very nice galleries, and restaurants there as well. And if you like golf you have Pinon Hills in Farmington which in my opinion is a top 5 in NM, but when you toss in how inexpensive the course is I might move it into #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 02:55 PM
kel

2 posts, read 9,520 times
Default Request Info - Farmington Area

I am considering a move to the Farmington area. I understand the population is about 40,000. What is the crime rate and is there a serious drug problem in the area? What would be the average cost for a 1600-1800 square foot home in a safe neighborhood? What are housing costs in Aztec? Is it a safer community than Farmington? How far is Aztec from the Four Corners power plant? Any information posted about Farmington/Aztec would be appreciated.

Last edited by kel; 09-24-2006 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-24-2006, 05:06 PM

142 posts, read 645,669 times
Arrow Farmington area:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
I am considering a move to the Farmington area. I understand the population is about 40,000. What is the crime rate and is there a serious drug problem in the area? What would be the average cost for a 1600-1800 square foot home in a safe neighborhood? What are housing costs in Aztec? Is it a safer community than Farmington? How far is Aztec from the Four Corners power plant? Any information posted about Farmington/Aztec would be appreciated.
Greetings,

I just returned form a trip up to Grand Junction, CO and drove back through Moab, UT though Shiprock and Farmington, NM.

From what I observed I wouldn't want to live in the Farmington area - Aztec appeared to be a nicer area but only marginally. I observed the power plant and it appeared to be commuting distance from Aztec maybe 30 miles. Bloomfield was pretty bad, mostly gas and oil field support industries providing jobs and just a general run down looking area - didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling driving through the area. The region is also dominated by Navajo Nation and a big event was going on at Shiprock.

Interesting place to visit but I would imagine it being a difficult place to have a quality life in my opinion.

Cheers

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2006 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: quote fixed - use: [quote]text[/quote]

Old 09-24-2006, 09:22 PM

827 posts, read 4,544,245 times
Kel, Farmington is in a very desert area, so is Bloomfield and Aztec. Aztec will be greener but around it is desert. Farmington is near the Navajo Nation and there are a lot of Navajos there. If I lived there, I'd live in the north or east end of Farmington, avoid the west and south ends. It does have a lot of stores for New Mexico. I prefer Durango. A much better city to live. It is green and in the mountains. You might also check into Cortez and Pagosa Springs. Pagosa has pines and in the mountains. Cortez is ranch country with ranches.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
kel

2 posts, read 9,520 times
Thank you everyone for posting information. I just found out a friend of a friend recently purchased a house in Farmington for 350k and I guess it's in a newer development. It sounds like I would need to plan on spending at least 300k. I lived in the Yuma AZ area for several years, so I am used to the desert. Quality of life is the most important issue. All of the posts give me a lot to think about. I will check out the local paper website. I appreciate all of the replies.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 12,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
You don't have to be scared moving to Farmington. Like _yb said, try to live in the north area or east area near the college or by the golf courses. Most of the crime is drug related so if you don't use drugs, don't worry about it. Yes they do have homeless in the downtown area and in the west end, there are some Native Americans who roam round but are generally harmless. They will try to sell you something or may ask you for money. Many are alcoholics (who are roaming around downtown). The east end and north areas are fine. The south area has most of the Mexicans, many who don't speak English, or some English. There are nice suburbs around the area which are quite nice. It isn't a bad city. It is a pretty big city and just like all bigger cities, you have good areas and not so good areas. Just try to live in the east or north areas and you'll be fine.
Sorry for bumping up an old post - I just joined today and had to see what everyone was saying/asking about Farmington

I agree with everything CrackerJack said I have lived here for about 9 years (moved here when I was a sophmore in HS). The worst problem we've had are bad neighbors...annoying neighbors really, not BAD.

Drunks in downtown aren't too bad....non existent compared to lovely Gallup There is definately a difference between north/east and the south/west areas of town.

We are buying our first home and the ONLY area we even considered was right near the college (you can practically see it & my daughters elem. school from our house).

Crime doesn't seem that bad to me...but maybe I just dont' watch the news enough The only recent big stories that come to mind are a domestic abuse situation ending in the guy being shot by a cop (that was in the north Walmart parking lot). Shortly after the Walmart in the south/west area of town opened up, there was a stabbing in the parking lot But these aren't just random acts of violence (I don't think), like Crackerjack suggested....if you aren't involved with them and what they are doing, you're not at a huge risk.

Bottom line, for as much as I like NM in general, I like Farmington...I feel safe here and I feel safe sending my kids to the public schools Housing is expensive though...watch out for that

Old 10-11-2006, 08:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 18,534,395 times
Los Alamos is a very nice place to go to.

Well, after a lot of research....and having taken the paper for a few months, there are a few things that make me very uncomfortable. This is strictly MY OPINION....and may or may not have any basis in fact. So, having said that, here goes.

For one, the entire area depends on Los Alamos National Laboratory....and their funding has been cut, keeps changing, et al.....they're getting ready to lay off a number of subcontractors, and the number ranges from 350 to 600.

Is this just editorial hype, or does this sort of thing always hang over the town? It's sort of unsettling to think what would happen if the lab REALLY seriously cut back.

I get the feeling that the area is spoiled rotten from the traditionally high government funding for the salaries to which they are accustomed. I wonder how they would cope should much of this dry up? Would LA become more or less a ghost town?

There are always articles on contamination/cleanup/projects that need to be done.

The real estate is very expensive, because they are basically landlocked, and there is not much room for expansion. You will pay at least $200K for a matchbox, crammed in on all sides by other matchboxes. There are some gorgeous, gorgeous homes that are not condos......with prices ($375-600K) to match.

They have two things that I consider just really great--an aquatics center and a ski area right there. It was those two things that initially led me to check the area out seriously.

The other upsides are the low crime rate (easy to see why, but I won't get into that here) and the passion that so many of them seem to have for the area. They all seem to be very involved in their community.

The elevation and the stunning natural beauty of the area are definitely a draw.

Having to drive everywhere else to get major services is not.

They sent me a relo packet for which they charged $10. It was nothing to write home about. I guess they really don't want to encourage any more people moving in.

I got excellent, very much more informative and helpful packets from Las Vegas and Farmington.

I talked to an agent in Farmington the other night, and she is to send me some listings. I hope to go out sometime after Christmas.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 15,419 times
Default Moving to Farmington???

Hey, can anyone give me info on a possible move to Farmington? I have read a few posts allready. I work in the Medical field and so does my wife. We have 4 kids, 2 daughters and 2 sons. We have lived in bigger cities and small towns like Farmington and really dont have a preference, they both have ups and downs. We just want a good place to raise our kids. We enjoy the outdoors, camping, hiking, skiing, boating etc. I LOVE Golf and my wife is beging to enjoy it too. My daughters dance competatively and my boys play sports. How are the schools? sports programs? dance groups?
Why is housing sooo expensive in Farmington? I know its gone up all over the country but it seems wuite high there for the town size, income, etc.
I would be woring in an office by the community college and occasionally need to get to the hospital. About how long of a drive would it be to get across town 10-15 minutes?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:18 PM

29 posts, read 83,361 times
At rush hour that drive could take longer but during the day I'd say 15 minutes.
The housing price is starting to go down but it is high , the town is really growing and the demand is high, there are few nice rentals. Aztec and surrouding towns area cheaper. Aztec the nicest and best schools IMO but then I live there!
If you love golf then you will love Pinion Hills great price and one of the best rated community course in the country, my hubby LOVES is. Plus very few days you can't play.
Mann dance is very competive and wins awards regularly in the state.
I have no idea why but if you are a doctor check things out carefully I know many docs that seem to come and do not stay very long. Hospital politics? But hey we need you guys too so just make sure you get a good contract or whatever!
Good luck, we think its a nice place to raise kids.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 AM

476 posts, read 2,089,570 times
I certainly agree with Mesavista on everything said. You got BINGO on that one Mesavista!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico