U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM

157 posts, read 577,974 times

Advertisements

my sis in farmington (similar life situation to ya'll) says that she also thinks housing will be coming down - she says that there are several new developments being built and that cost of new is at or below cost of existing housing in many cases.

prices may be high because of the generally moderate year-round weather, the proximity to Albuquerque as well as some great outdoor destinations (Durango, Pagosa, Moab, etc), and the present strength of the oil and gas industry in the region (jobs) ... just our guesses .

school and sports for your kids: New Mexico in general is usually ranked pretty low in education (see other posts in this forum), but improving education is a rather big priority in the state legislature right now, and I think it will happen. In general, sports programs seem to be well-organized, well-supported, and competitive at the state level. Sports seem to be a pretty big part of the community landscape. Farmington has 3(?) mid schools and two public high schools, both of which I believe compete at the 4A level (out of 5A's). I think Farmington HS may be 5A next year. There are other public and private schools in the area who field good programs in most sports (girls basketball and softball are strong). Also, the Connie Mack World Series is held in Farmington every summer and the host gets a team in the field. Guys like Ken Griffey, Jr. have played here, so if your boys are into baseball, its pretty big here. Lately, it seems that Aztec has been the best school overall in the region, so maybe mesavista is onto something - Aztec might be a good place.

best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 15,415 times
Thanks you guys. Im sure Farmington and the surrounding areas are very nice and home is what you make it so Im not too worried. Lot prices for building homes seems to be pretty good, established homes do seem to be the more expensive ones. We couldnt build anything for awhile though so we would be looking to rent initially. Any tips for that?? . How is the developement Anasazi in Aztec? It looks like it would be very nice on the internet but no real pic's of houses or the neighborhood. We just want a street or area with a group of kids ours can play with instead of being isolated in the middle of nowhere. Right now I commute 45miles to work one way so we can live in an area with a good school and neighborhood for my kids. I like the SW desert and landscape and the climate I think I would really enjoy. I love skiing but Im tired of snow on my driveway.
Are utilities reasonable? Gas, electric, water, sewer? Does New Mexico have a state income tax? Any fitness centers like Golds Gym or 24 hour fitness available? Thanks again for your input and help.
Scottyb

Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,383 times
We currently live in Farmington. We moved from Tulsa in November 2005, and I absolutely hate it. When we were looking at houses, you could pay a lot of money for crap, or you could pay a lot more money for a house that's more than you want but in good condition.

The only good thing is the view from my office window of the snow covered mountains.

We don't have any kids, so I can't speak to the activities available for them, however there's limited options on entertainment, the movie theaters in town are crummy, and did I mention the fact that there are a limited number of restaurants to eat at?

That being said, the husband may be transferred again soon. Want to buy my house?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,383 times
And the drive from the college to the hospital probably takes between 15 and 20 minutes or so. As long as you avoid Main Street.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:26 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbpac View Post
Thanks you guys. Im sure Farmington and the surrounding areas are very nice and home is what you make it so Im not too worried. Lot prices for building homes seems to be pretty good, established homes do seem to be the more expensive ones. We couldnt build anything for awhile though so we would be looking to rent initially. Any tips for that?? . How is the developement Anasazi in Aztec? It looks like it would be very nice on the internet but no real pic's of houses or the neighborhood. We just want a street or area with a group of kids ours can play with instead of being isolated in the middle of nowhere. Right now I commute 45miles to work one way so we can live in an area with a good school and neighborhood for my kids. I like the SW desert and landscape and the climate I think I would really enjoy. I love skiing but Im tired of snow on my driveway.
Are utilities reasonable? Gas, electric, water, sewer? Does New Mexico have a state income tax? Any fitness centers like Golds Gym or 24 hour fitness available? Thanks again for your input and help.
Scottyb

Scotty, I know a coworker who lives over in the Aztec area and I asked her about the Anasazi Development and she said she thinks it is going to be a nice suburb. Kinda just getting started from what she told me. She had heard that most of the lots were already sold though. She said there were nice views out in that area. Utilities arent bad. I rent so cant really tell you prices but electricity is around 50.00 for me on a 2 bed apt. I work alot so maybe more if you are home more and count more for families, but not bad. For taxes go to
http://www.retirementliving.com/RLstate2.html
has alot of info on that.
On fitness I really only know about Contours and that is for women but there is Royal Fitness and here is the info on that
http://farmingtonnm.org/pages/sports/fitness.html
I definitely would live in Aztec and have thought about moving there someday soon. About the person not liking Farmington, it is one of those places that you either love or hate. I know many on both sides of the fence. You just have to visit it and see for yourself if it is for you. If you dont like deserts, dont move to Farmington. If you like deserts, then Farmington may be what you are looking for.

For restaurant listings here is a link for what is here
http://farmingtonnm.org/pages/dining.html
It is enough for me. Anyway, hope this helps.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 02-08-2007 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: Added restaurant listings.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 PM

94 posts, read 559,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLynn View Post
We currently live in Farmington. We moved from Tulsa in November 2005, and I absolutely hate it.
I just moved to Gallup from Ponca City (Oklahoma), and I'm struggling with culture shock, too. Being the only white face in a crowd makes one think, doesn't it?

However, the company I work for is based in Farmington. The few visits I've had there were pleasant. At least there are trees and grass and rivers there. It's not as dirty as Gallup.

Scott, take into consideration what the culture shock might do to your kids. I don't want to sound racist (I'm not!), but I've found there to be a fair amount of racism on the part of Hispanics and Native Americans, especially from children towards other children. I guess a lot depends on where you're moving from.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:22 AM

I am Hispanic and I have White friends in Durango and Farmington and I live in Farmington. I dont think it is much of an issue here. I have heard Gallup was quite a mean town so that may be there, but I dont know Gallup so cant say personally. I think Aztec would be better suited to Whites if that is an issue with you, or Durango which is mostly Whites.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 15,415 times
Thanks mesavista and ILUVNM. Ive read some of your other posts and think your very fair and open. I appreciate everyones replys too. Im not too worried about culture shock, we live in Utah, have also lived in Washington and are used to different areas and cultures. I do work in the medical field and I am wondering what the reputation of the hospital is??? I know a lot of Docs have come and gone there, some of that could be hospital politics, some could be the smaller desert town that Farmington is, on the other hand the majority may be there 2 years or so working and getting student loans repaid so once there time/contract is up they are outta there.
Scottyb

Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 AM

I appreciate your post to me and mesavista, Scotty. I think you may be right about the loan situation and afterwards, they go to where they wanted to go. The hospital has a good reputation as far as medical and people come in from towns all over. I would rate it a 9 out of 10. The 1 being deducted for the changeovers. Durango has a brand new large high tech hospital and need many new doctors so that may be one to look into as well. It is Mercy Hospital located in Three Springs. Durango also has a new medical surgery center in the Rivergate Medical campus area.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 02-11-2007 at 01:19 AM..

Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,508 times
Default racist---farmington-----NM

I do agree with what sooner-on the move stated, except about the hispanics been racist. But the racism doesn't exist with the kids alone. The adults most especially the whites and natives are to blame. They are racist in public or in private to whoever doesn't look or speak like them.

If you are white, but doesn't believe in racism or doesn't want your kids exposed to such. Then Farmington isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico