Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Yes... and it's important to remember that the winter/summer extremes are less at the lower latitudes, even though the yearly averages are about the same.
Yes.

Temperature is one thing. People are sometimes shocked with the winds...

Some trivia the lowest temperature recorded at regular observing stations in New Mexico was –50 °F at Gavilan on February 1, 1951. Gavilan is in Belen and about in the middle of the state, South of Albuquerque...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,631 times
We enjoy downhill, I have never tried cross country. We wouldn't mind an hour drive to the slopes, right now it takes 9 hours. We have had 47 days over 100 and 16 of those were over 110 with 30 mph wind and high humidity. I have been looking at the Ruidoso area but was wondering if it is cool enough. It wouldn't take much to be an improvement over what we are use too.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby64 View Post
We enjoy downhill, I have never tried cross country. We wouldn't mind an hour drive to the slopes, right now it takes 9 hours. We have had 47 days over 100 and 16 of those were over 110 with 30 mph wind and high humidity. I have been looking at the Ruidoso area but was wondering if it is cool enough. It wouldn't take much to be an improvement over what we are use too.
If you enjoy downhill (or x-country for that matter), keep in mind that Ruidoso/Ski Apache is so far south that they rarely have a really good season.

They have snowmaking, but it is only on about 30% of the mountain, and with the usually warm temperatures, it melts off fast.

Back in the 1970s-80s, they very often had great seasons, and ample snow. But after the mid-80s or so, we started going to CO because the snow was so unreliable.

We went from West Texas for years until that point.

I lived nearby in Alamogordo for 4 years (2007 until this past June). Out of those 4 years, there was one GREAT ski season. It was so good that even little Cloudcroft (which isn't all that great of a ski area, but it's fun) opened year before last.

So, if skiing is important to you, I'd look elsewhere. If not, Ruidoso is a really neat (if touristy) place. I've always loved it.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
What about Taos?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Taos (the town) would be a good living choice for those seeking diverse skiing experiences since it has a selection of ski areas within "reasonable" driving distance. Taos ski area being considered the premier experience.

As Cathy said, Ruidoso is VERY iffy in recent years. The only thing that has saved it from total disaster is the ability to make snow when it gets cold enough. But the area has been very poorly managed in the past few years, another factor driving experienced skiers away.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Temperature data here: New Mexico

Anyone who complains about heat in Ruidoso is a real wimp. If it ever gets up to 90 (which is rare) the humidity is in single digits. Highs of ~80 are typical in the summer.

But... the snow is good about every other year. And they have had a bad habit of closing the forest *completely* for a couple months every spring/summer when it's dry... so no hiking on public lands. That goes for the entire Lincoln Forest, so Cloudcroft has the same problem.

People who recommend Taos... he said "affordable*... so that is out. But you could draw a circle that is ~ 30 miles around Taos and see what you hit. You will be looking at small towns with pretty rough winters, but that might be ok with you. I think somewhere in that area is your best bet.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
My wife and I can retire from teaching in five years and are looking for a place to relocate that is a lot cooler than Oklahoma. We will both be in our early 50's and love the mountains. Looking for low crime and a reasonable cost of living. We really enjoy being outdoors hiking and skiing. Any suggestions on possible locations would be appreciated.
Silver City. You are next to 3 million acres of a forest and mountains.
OD

Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The main difficulty I have with deciding where to move in NM is the seasonal range. The lack of humidity makes for wide seasonal and diurnal differences, but I love the low humidity! If the summer is pleasant, the winter is too cold, and if the winter isn't too cold, the summer is too hot. But the wide diurnal range is a lifesaver IMO; the day may be very hot but it cools off at night, and if the night is very cold, the day warms up considerably. I'd have to say that Ruidoso and Silver City both have nearly ideal climates: a little too cold in winter and a little too hot in summer, but not by much either way.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM

118 posts, read 289,887 times
Default Alaska

Go to Alaska, its cooler there. ENJOY

Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
It is very pleasant up here in the NW today....now 83 (85), and there is a 60% chance of showers and TS later on this afternoon. It has rained every evening/during the night for the past 3 days.

That beats the tar out of Midland's 99, though Alamogordo isn't too bad right now at 88 (92).

Alpine/Marfa/FD are nice right now, too. Their hottest months are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico