U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 AM

16 posts, read 48,392 times

Advertisements

I am only 53 but on partial disability. I want to find a beautiful place to live, feel safe and call home where I can support myself and enjoy the rest of my life. I am hearing about Silver City and Alamogordo. I need easy weather (not too hot nor too cold), no difficult commutes, and easy access to lakes or rivers because I'm still young and active! I need a fairly inexpensive place to call home (under $150,000 for a small cabin or condo). I'm done with the big city life and just want quiet but not so remote that I can't find friends to enjoy on weekends! Can anyone please help me? Thanks!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 01:36 AM

6,980 posts, read 10,762,711 times
What do you class as remote ? Back in Ireland I classed remote as a 5 minute drive from Dublin Now, living in Clayton, the next town with 10k population is 40 mins away, and thats just a trip down the road lol.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,756,425 times
Durn near anywhere. Find the climate you like in the other part of this website and check out housing at Realator.com or the local papers. Then take a vacation and do a recon trip.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 AM

271 posts, read 799,001 times
probably not many condos in alamogordo or silver but I could be wrong.
There are a lot of condos in the ruidoso area but while it is nice in the
summer the winters are a bit cold. Some with Silver City. Not quite as hot
in the summer but a little colder than Alamogordo in the winter. Alamogordo
is a little unique since it is so close to the mountains and much cooler/colder
weather. I don't think you will have to look much to find more peace and quiet than most large cities here in New Mexico unless you move to Albuquerque which might be more like the city you live in now.
Good luck

Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Where..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by postermom View Post
I am only 53 but on partial disability. I want to find a beautiful place to live, feel safe and call home where I can support myself and enjoy the rest of my life. I am hearing about Silver City and Alamogordo. I need easy weather (not too hot nor too cold), no difficult commutes, and easy access to lakes or rivers because I'm still young and active! I need a fairly inexpensive place to call home (under $150,000 for a small cabin or condo). I'm done with the big city life and just want quiet but not so remote that I can't find friends to enjoy on weekends! Can anyone please help me? Thanks!!!!
P.S. I consider a small town to be under 200,000... the largest city a good hour and a half or so away; and the nearest drug store and restaurants within 20 minutes driving time. I want to be able to see my neighbor's house. I am NOT looking to live on several acres out in the middle of nowhere by myself! Will that help???

Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,266,428 times
postermom:

Could you be more specific about the weather?

What exactly do you mean by "not too hot or not too cold". This means different things to different people.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Most cities in NM are way under 200k. From what you have already said, I would sugggest Alamogordo, Silver City, or in the Rio Grande Valley.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 AM

13 posts, read 44,001 times
Alamo and Carlsbad are great choices. Silver City has really bad air quality and is expensive. Whatever you do stay away from Santa Fe. It's fun to visit but the people are snobs and it's terribly expensive. I can't stand that town. Lived there for 7 years (school) I've never seen such materialistic back east yuppies in my life.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Weather in NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
postermom:

Could you be more specific about the weather?

What exactly do you mean by "not too hot or not too cold". This means different things to different people.
You're absolutely right. 25 degrees F lows and 95 degrees highs are a perfect range for me. I should have been more specific!! I have had enough of snow and ice for 6 months and more out of the year and I can't bear anymore heat over 100 with humidity for any length of time (2-3 months). I'm looking for comfort in the weather, traffic and safe areas along with friendly people.... and a fun job to support myself! Not too much to ask, right?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 PM

If you check Realtor.com there are a bunch of condos in Socorro for sale at around 120K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico