Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 03:08 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,546,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by califgirl View Post
Las Cruces is evil.
im thinking of relocating to las cruces i have 3 teen age kids this looks like a good place why is las cruces evil.
I never knew that Las Cruces is EVIL as you said so where did that come from??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:27 AM

271 posts, read 1,172,604 times
The #2 for Albuquerque cops was on the news about two to three weeks
ago. Channel 13 CBS. New Orleans took first place. They were talking
about how difficult it was to attract police candidates to a city that was
so dangerous for approximately half the pay. I'm not sure about the half
pay part but it was much lower than San Diego and Phoenix.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
I am planning on retiring to NM. Maybe the house prices will be lower where the crime rate is higher. That could save me some money.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:09 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califgirl View Post
Grants is bad.
Roswell is off the chart.
Las Cruces is evil.
im thinking of relocating to las cruces i have 3 teen age kids this looks like a good place why is las cruces evil..i have never been in this state ..so where would you say would be a better city or state to relocate ..please ...thank you
Is this what you have taken from other posts? Like one of ther other posters said read what you will into the posts, but there is more good than bad written here. Go back and study all the posts about each city.
You must realize that there will be a big diference from California to here, you must come here with an open eye.
If you have a chance to visit first that would be best. Me? I would say LC as I have been there more than the other towns.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Jane

Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,325,700 times
Just returned from a visit to Las Cruces and bought a mobile home there. We'll move into it in a couple of months. The city doesn't have a lot of crime, and they budget something like a half million dollars a year to remove graffiti. I loved what I saw in the areas I will be at. There are some low income areas around Picacho Ave down by the K Mart that I didn't like much, and people tell me the Mesquite area can be rough, but every place has a bad side of town. Trust me, it didn't look THAT bad compared to what I have seen in nearly every other American city. People are not living in fear! There are a ton of retirees there, and old folks (us) do not like a lot of crime. I saw an article in the paper a few days ago that said Las Cruces was the 8th safest city in the US in the category of cities it's size.

Albuquerque is where I saw a lot of crime. There were drive by shootings, a lot of road rage, and just too much hard drug and gang activity for me. Riding the city bus is an adventure, especially down Central Ave, w/ most of the people discussing their parole officers. The University is a wonderful place, but there is a fair amount of crime all around it. I loved the light, and I still think fondly of the University and some of the artists that I knew, but I wouldn't move there again if you put a gun to my head.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 AM

28 posts, read 161,234 times
I live in Roswell, and I am looking to get out. For a town this small, it's nuts how high crime is. I've lived in a number of places in different parts of the country and the only ones where I've ever been a victim of crime is in NM. It's been small stuff, but still. I love NM for a lot of reasons, and when I didn't have kids, it didn't bother me much, but now we have real misgivings about sending out kids to HS here. One of the problems in Roswell is that the police are terribly undermanned and undefunded so in many cases, crimes don't even get pursued. Even though a lot of my colleagues at work swear by Roswell, I would NEVER recommend moving here. Espanola and Las Vegas also have a terrible reputation for things like gang crime. Better places would probably be Ruidoso, Los Alamos or Taos or Santa Fe if you can afford it. I have a student from Farmington who says it's really nice there too.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdykstra View Post
I live in Roswell, and I am looking to get out. For a town this small, it's nuts how high crime is. I've lived in a number of places in different parts of the country and the only ones where I've ever been a victim of crime is in NM. It's been small stuff, but still. I love NM for a lot of reasons, and when I didn't have kids, it didn't bother me much, but now we have real misgivings about sending out kids to HS here. One of the problems in Roswell is that the police are terribly undermanned and undefunded so in many cases, crimes don't even get pursued. Even though a lot of my colleagues at work swear by Roswell, I would NEVER recommend moving here. Espanola and Las Vegas also have a terrible reputation for things like gang crime. Better places would probably be Ruidoso, Los Alamos or Taos or Santa Fe if you can afford it. I have a student from Farmington who says it's really nice there too.
That's really interesting. When I was researching Farmington, most of the posts seemed to say the same thing about Farmington that you have just said about Roswell.

Here in Alamo, the crime rate is supposedly low, but I cannot get over the amount of petty vandalism (notably tire slashing and window breaking) that has been occurring since I moved here. I really do like it, though.

Maybe I read the papers too much, but.....

If I ever decide to move again, Farmington is still on my list. Santa Fe and Los Alamos are not affordable for me. Farmington is far more expensive real-estatewise than Alamo, but not as high as SF and LA.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM

28 posts, read 161,234 times
I forgot to add earlier that this past summer I had money stolen from from a priority mail envelope that my mom sent. It pretty much had to be an inside job at the post office. After telling some friends about it I found out that a lot of people around here have PO boxes because of mail theft. I thought it was a federal crime, but I guess even that doesn't get prosecuted much. There are a lot of beautiful neighborhoods in Albuquerque where you can be pretty much safe and not have to put up with much if you can afford to live there, but New Mexico is not a state like Iowa where any small town is so safe you can leave your car running while you are in the grocery store and it will be fine when you get back.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,550 times
Question Where does Los Alamos fit on the crime stats scale...

We are considering buying an apartment in NM - likely Los Alamos - for winter family use after retirement...but the posts about crime stats in NM in general are really scary. We expect to visit in spring and see the naturally beautiful NM state.

We live comfortably in a city in northern Canada the same population size and limited services diversification as Los Alamos, and seek a more out-of -the-way community in the arid (for medical reasons) upland climate of north-central NM. Cool winters wont bother us - its - 25 C outside right now.

Are we looking in the wrong part of the US southwest for a quiet, comfortable arid climate smallish city, or should we be looking to Mexico where some acquaintances have moved for winter, or to Phoenix where other Canadian snowbirds haul their 5th wheelers for the winter.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:50 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
Crime exists everywhere including the affluent suburb of Londonderry, New Hampshire where we currently reside. Some jerks tried to jimmy the lock on my ’92 Buick wagon and did $400 dollars damage to the steering column. We have the most problem in the summer. I heard the cops actually caught some kids with “burglar tools”. I hope they prosecuted the vermin.

I am not very concerned with property crime but am very concerned with assault on my wife and me. If it ever seems likely I’ll remember that NM has a “right to carry” law and will be appropriately armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico