Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times

Advertisements

I know my postmaster here used to go to Palomas to the dentist, but she said never again. Said its not worth taking the risk to cross the border anywhere. She was born and raised in this area, so I trust her word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,479 times
Default Palomas Farmacias

Hello;

Yes, Palomas is very safe to visit and MUCH less hastle than Juarez. You are ON the square in this tiny town, and the Farmacia next to the market there on the square has English speaking folks there- very nice. You can eat lunch at a nice restaurant there on the main street as you go in and go right back out. I have been there many times to get meds, but my car is not running now, so if you go PLEASE get a phone number at the Farmacia for me so I can order some stuff by phone, or I-net. Just know you need a Passport card to come back into US. You can get them at your Post Office. They work for Canada and Mexico and the Carribbean Islands I think.

Happy Trails......... JH Cooper

Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM

18 posts, read 51,350 times
Default Palomas Is Fine

I have been going down to Palomas once or twice a year for dental exams over the last couple of years and have encountered no problems. Pharmacies, dental clinics, and opticians are located within the first few blocks, so it's very convenient to get in and out. Personally, I park my car on the US side and just walk across. I've never had a problem there, and I do like my dentist. And, for what it's worth, I started going there as it was SO MUCH cheaper than the local U.S. dental clinics!

I have purchased medicine at the pharmacies. Sometimes they are cheaper; sometimes, not. And, I do think there is a limit on what you can bring back into the U.S.

The Pink Store is always nice to visit. The food is not too bad or too pricey; the souvenirs are what you would expect.

Unfortunately, I haven't been beyond the first few blocks, so I can't say much more. The first few blocks look old and worn, but it's not unlike a hundred other small towns that look in need of some scrubbing and updating. Still, the people seem friendly enough, and I've never felt threatened in any way while there.

By the way, Columbus, the town on the U.S. side is very small but has its own charm as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM

462 posts, read 1,008,842 times
Default NM border towns

I know an elderly gentleman that goes across to Juarez to have his dental work done. So far he has had no problem. I think he is pressing his luck.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,199 times
Puerto Palomas de Villa, my translation "home (the place) of the village of doves"; pretty isn't it?

If you just want to save money,70%, cross the border at El Paso, Nogales, Yuma, take care of your business during the day. You can buy medications freely but you may be asked on your return if you have prescriptions for what you are carrying, I buy 600mg's of Ibuprofen etc carry those with my medications mostly no one bothers you.
Once in a while a guard on the US side will feel like it is time to do his job (some can be real smart asses), most are just trying to get thru the day.
Don't dress like a tourist (camera around your neck and clothing you would be embarrassed for your friends back home to see you in), dress like a local. Stay out of the bars, eat where you like, drink bottled water. Travel with a group or companion.
I can recommend the dentists, (this is where serious money is saved). Most Dentist are reliable or they would not be in business, again don't go on the back streets for dental work.
If you are approached by those who offer help or guidance blow them off politely. Often there is someone working in front of the Drug Stores, Dental Offices or Optical Shops, these people can be trusted if they are obviously working for one or the other such as wearing the same types of clothing as those working behind the counters. Don't go on the back streets, and don't be afraid.
Learn some Spanish if that is not beyond you. Mexico is a cash economy, take care where you carry it and how you carry it. You will need a Passport or the Passport wallet card available now. You can get across but you gotta have it to get back if they ask for it. Times have changed I used to drive across with a pretty woman by my side covered in dust, hitting only the high spots, now there is a war on.
First Spanish lesson for you adventurous souls looking to save money and explore the world at the same time who don't have Spanish.
"no tengo dinero" = "I've got no money"

Last edited by RoyLeePatterson; 06-16-2013 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-couple View Post
I have been going down to Palomas once or twice a year for dental exams over the last couple of years and have encountered no problems.
I am curious, how much do your two dental exams cost in Mexico? My dentist in ABQ charge about $230 for two semi-annual checkups and and one set of bitewing xrays.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:40 PM

154 posts, read 346,181 times
In April, I was in Columbus and crossed over to Las Palomas a couple of times over the weekend. Lots of folks from the U.S. side, mostly seniors, crossing over regularly to get meds, perhaps lunch and have a margarita. When I was there, all of the locals pretty much laughed at me when I asked about safety.

You can drive over or just park your car in the spacious lot on the U.S. side and walk over. I walked over by myself and poked around town; never felt concerned.

You'd be doing a good turn to the economies on both sides of the wall there if you'd go on down.

Unofficially, I even heard that as long as you've got your driver's license with you, you'll be OK to come back into the U.S. without a hassle. But I suppose this could change on a dime, so visitor beware.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM

18 posts, read 51,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I am curious, how much do your two dental exams cost in Mexico? My dentist in ABQ charge about $230 for two semi-annual checkups and and one set of bitewing xrays.
The cost is about $40 for cleaning and exam. I had to have a filling during my last visit; total cost for filling, cleaning and exam was $100.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy234 View Post
Any Current (2012-13) information about Palomas,Chi, MX I would Appreciate . User reviews / info on Dentists besides Fierro, stores /commerce besides "Pink". Personal experiences R/T Hotels, taxis,police,personal safety concerns, communicating with town folks ,spending a few days there /a week .
Any thing else pertinent to the place,to look for and to look out for. No sensational years -old newspaper clippings ,please .
Say ,does Palomas have a phone book (YPg) ,or a newspaper ?
Thanks to all -if any
T
Ya Palomas hasn't changed,yes there dentists are still their,and the people are still nice,Pink's was talking about moving to Silver City NM (think it's a rumor) I'll check the next time I am their for you, tried to get my kids to go with me to Palomas the last time they were here in Deming,but they were scared of the idea after having a friend of theirs kidnaped in Mexico,guess it was a hell of a mess,so they took a pass, it's a dam shame that we can't go into Mexico and enjoy the culture and the people like we did when I was a kid, I really don't understand the problems,but I really am curious as to what the cost of this was to the good people of Mexico?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,207 times
Does anyone know when crossing into Palomas, how strict mexican customs officials are? I am bringing a tv, dvd, tools, i pad and patio furniture and bikes. Any problems i might encounter early in the morning on a holiday at 6am?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico