Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperoo View Post
My husband has nothing but I continue to get bites all over my legs. Would we not both be getting bit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Well, that sorta depends... I am a smoker and eat a lot of onions and garlic, so most bugs bite people around me, but never me.

Some bugs are attracted to certain body smells, even lotions, while other perfumes run them off like skunk scent.

For the bites - go to an older established pharmacy that carries a product called "Campho-Phenique". It is a very small bottle and easily overlooked (usually on a top shelf). But it will stop the itch, and you don't need much. Sometimes the scent puts the bugs off, too. As well as some humans... But, WTH, it works.
My wife has a dress which seems to attract bees and wasps.

She has gone through periods of rash and "Bed" bites which never affected me.

"Campho-Phenique" has been around for a long time, it's the first thing my wife grabs for bites, stings etc.

"Campho-Phenique Pain Relieving Antiseptic Liquid - Provides instant relief to soothe itchy bites from chiggers, mosquitoes, sand fleas, black flies and other biting insects." Campho-Phenique: Treats Cold Sores and Relieves Pain & Itching

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I'm a long-time devotee of Campho-Phenique. It is just about the best thing out there for insect bites.

The bites the OP is getting sound an awful lot like chigger bites, though I would doubt there are any around the Clovis area. Typically, chiggers are found in medium to tall grass in more humid areas of the Southern Plains and South. Walking through the grass, a person can get them on their legs. The itching usually doesn't start until awhile after exposure, but the symptoms from chigger bites are very much like what the OP is describing.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:02 PM

172 posts, read 558,631 times
Thanks again all !!! I will go get some campho-phenique. I've heard of this and I believe we used it for mosquitoes when I was younger. I think that you all have made great suggestions and I have looked at all of these bugs and their bites and any of these could be plausible. I'm going to keep trying to figure out what is going on here because I'm still itching like crazy and no one else is having a problem. I'll look into rashes associated with medication changes as well.
Thank you!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 16,478 times
I moved to Roswell NM less than a month ago and last week started having this problem! I take no medications and haven't changed detergent or anything like that. Did you ever find out what it was?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,437 times
Here is a tip I discovered that I found works quite well. Try spraying ( a light spritz) a mix of peppermint oil mixed with water (a few drops of peppermint oil to pint of water) on surfaces where the bugs are likely to appear and get in. Insects of all sorts find it very irritating and will clear out. Plus, it is a pleasant scent. Be sure to use the pure peppermint oil, not the extract (which is mostly alcohol). I also find that adding a few drops of peppermint oil to my drinking water on a regular basis (great for digestion and other things) keeps the bugs from biting me as well (that is my personal experience, it may just be a coincidence).

Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
Just chiming in because your problem is familiar.
Many years ago, we had the same exact problem in a rental.
It turned out to be fleas.
Not a huge infestation. We did not have pets.

If you want to know if your problem is fleas, here is how to find out.
Walk around your house constantly (all the time, never barefoot) with white knee socks and white ankle socks over those.
Fleas are attracted to the color white.

If you have fleas in your residence, you will see one or two on your white sock after walking through your house.

If you do see one, then here is what the pest control person said.
Vacuum every other day. Remove the bag from your vacuum afterwards and take it out of your house immediately. Do not keep the bag in your vacuum cleaner. Use a new one every time, and dispose of it every time.

Worked like a charm.

best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico