Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will driver's licenses for non-U.S. citizens end in NM?
Promises, shmomises.. it'll never happen, no matter what the new Guv says. 4 14.29%
On inauguration day, it'll change, like a light switch. 3 10.71%
Despite the Guv's best efforts, it just can't get done. 3 10.71%
It'll take months or years, but it'll happen. 18 64.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,142,970 times

Advertisements

One of Martinez's campaign pledges was to end driver's licenses for illegal aliens.
That's certainly popular with New Mexicans.

This thread is about when (and whether) this campaign promise becomes MVD fact.

Is it something as simple as an executive order? Does the legislature have to approve it? Or does some exempt political appointee with the ability to make the decision have to do it?

Will it get tied up in the courts?

Anyway, I've posted a poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM

71 posts, read 156,641 times
Needs to happen in Texas, too.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,142,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsandyb View Post
Needs to happen in Texas, too.
Umm.. Texas doesn't give licenses to illegal aliens, at least not anywhere I've ever heard. Utah and Washington are the only other states that do.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:22 PM

4,817 posts, read 4,720,953 times
Zoidberg, the NM Motor Vehicle Code does not include the requirement for citizenship or legal residency - only residency. It leaves it to MVD to determine residency. As a result, I expect that the law would have to be amended to change the requirement. It's anyone's guess as to when that might happen.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:35 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,988 times
True that Jim its down to residency, I thought it was 3 months to be considered a NM resident or something like that.
I had a hard enough time getting my DL here in NM and I am a Permanent Resident Alien (Greencard) holder. Id have to put it down to complete ignornace and incompetence with regard to the problem I had if an illegal with no documentation can get one.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,958,881 times
Yo Zoidberg, you know that whole Drivers licences thing has to go through the legislature this year? With more republicans it could be repealed!!!!

YEAAAAA!!

Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,598,549 times
A couple of related articles:

Martinez faces tough road ahead for repeal of driver’s licenses « New Mexico Independent

NM licenses are becoming a global attraction - Connecticut Post (http://www.ctpost.com/default/article/NM-licenses-are-becoming-a-global-attraction-810057.php - broken link)

Old 11-12-2010, 10:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,958,881 times
@ Tigerlily...

It won't be so tough... there are more republicans in the state house now, plus a crap load of democrats will sway over for this.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,446,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
A couple of related articles:

Martinez faces tough road ahead for repeal of driver’s licenses « New Mexico Independent

NM licenses are becoming a global attraction - Connecticut Post (http://www.ctpost.com/default/article/NM-licenses-are-becoming-a-global-attraction-810057.php - broken link)
Shu Sheng Lui told a state police officer Wednesday she had flown to Albuquerque from Missouri and paid a man $500 to help her get a New Mexico driver's license.

It sounds like there is some big money and corruption involved, so I can see it might take some time to fix this. Lots of people on the take I'm sure, they're getting rich and really don't care about the USA.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,446,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Zoidberg, the NM Motor Vehicle Code does not include the requirement for citizenship or legal residency - only residency. It leaves it to MVD to determine residency. As a result, I expect that the law would have to be amended to change the requirement. It's anyone's guess as to when that might happen.
And it's a well known fact that someone who doesn't have or know what fraud they must commit are instructed by the clerks in some of these MVD offices on how they can come up with the documents to show residency.

They don't have to be residents at all, they simply have to find someone to "lend" them a utility bill. They can borrow one of someone with a same last name - if they come from Mexico, that's easy because they all have two last name - just one needs to be matched. Or have a friend put a bill in their name and come on back and the license is theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico