U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 AM

828 posts, read 3,492,742 times

Advertisements

Yes you should be able to do that in two days. The hard part is Carlsbad has some awesome caverns that if you haven't seen them, are a must see, but I know with the time stretch that would be hard since just driving a lot can make you tired. Maybe the next trip.
From El Paso, it should be easy. Just go up I25 to Las Cruces, you can go to Silver City on I10 then up Hwy 180, see Silver City (be sure you go far enough north to see that it gets more mountainy and pine trees the more north you go). Go to at least Pinos Altos if nothing else and head back on Hwy 152 to T or C, go North on I25 to see Elephant Butte, which is close to T or C, then back down I25 and back to Las Cruces then over to Alamo and that will be a good day, just driving. Then on Hwy 82 to Artesia and down Hwy 285 to Carlsbad. If you get a chance to see the Carlsbad Caverns, great, else you can go back to El Paso, if that is your starting point, on Hwy 62/180 West and you'll pass by Guadaloupe Mountains Nat'l Park, or if you just need to go back through Texas, head out on Hwy 62/180 East to to Hobbs and on to Snyder, where you'll hit Hwy 84 down to I20.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-10-2006 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 AM

271 posts, read 799,296 times
Default designer

T or C is in the process of making many changes but will they be for the better or not? The best thing about living in T or C is you can purchase
property for a very low price compared to LC or other NM towns. Other than
that it is very quirky or boring depending on how you look at it. If you get bored you will find yourself driving all the time to other towns such as Las
Cruces for entertainment. T or C is sort of a cult town and you will either
love it or hate it. It does seem to be in the process of changing so time will
tell how it plays out. Many new people are moving in to town but I know
many who are leaving or planning to leave. T or C could turn out to be something great but in my opinion it's got a ways to go. It all depends on
your background and expectations and possibly where you have previously
lived.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:00 AM

13,014 posts, read 24,204,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Truth or Consequences is a pit. Worst town in NM in my opinion. Las Vegas probably has more crime, but T or C is uglier and has less to do. Elephant Butte has a big lake, and that's about all it has.
Its only about 5.000 pop so there's not going to be alot to do there per se however with two huge bodies of water ''Elephant Butte'' and ''Caballo'' reserviors so it is a water ski / jet skiers paradise in the dry desert region. Your also about 45 min east from the Mogollon mountains and all the wilderness areas there (camping,fishing,hunting etc..).In fact the mountain range goes all the way over to Camp Verde, AZ to the west and Flagstaff, AZ to the north as its a huge mountain expanse in the southwest United States.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 AM

184 posts, read 448,524 times
Well, I've known some really nice and good-looking women who came from TorC..so it gets MY vote!

My ex-girlfriend's parents still live there and own two small stores (been in the same location probably 30+ years now) on the main drag "downtown" a few blocks up from the Bullocks supermarket.

It's a small town, not a lot to do, but if you're "self-entertained" or don't NEED to be entertained, it'd be a nice quiet place to live.

Don't know anything about crime, though, and since I don't go up there much anymore -- except passing through on the way to Rio Rancho/Albuquerque -- and I am not aware of the "new people" moving in or what changes there may be due to that.

-- John D.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:01 PM

13 posts, read 28,189 times
I have lived in T orc for 3 years and I would say it's very safe. I came from growing up in Wash, DC and it's surrounding areas where you should be a little street smart.

I know some people here don't even lock their doors, even when they go out of town. It's not crime free - there are a few methheads here and there, but unfortunately almost all towns throughout the US have that now. From time to time there is also a domestic dipute.

Although I don't have any, but it seems to be a good place to raise a kid. Schools are safe.

From what I've experienced so far, almost all of New Mexico is safe. There are parts of Albuquerque that have gang issues, but thats about it.

PS - T or C is not for everyone - THANK GOD!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 AM

175 posts, read 833,028 times
I would say avoid Clovis,Roswell,Gallup,Farmington,Espanola,Las Vegas,Belen,and Los Lunas, everywhere else is a descent place and pretty safe when it comes to crime. Over the past 2 years Clovis and Roswell came in second behind Albuquerque for the most murders in the state with 10,and Clovis has a population of 32,000 and Roswell with 45,000.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,896 times
Quote:
Avoid Roswell and Artesia.
Mark S.,

Why do you suggest that they avoid Roswell?

I understand why you would not suggest Artesia, but Roswell is nice. I cannot say whether it is the "best" town in southern New Mexico, but it has its advantages. Roswell does not have a high cost of living, it is not too big but still big enough to bring in a lot of businesses, and it has a good climate.

RPDKLC

Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,449 times
Speaking as a Texan, why in the world do you want to see El Paso? Just a sprawling, congested border town.

retiredhappy

Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM

8,415 posts, read 11,025,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPDKLC View Post
Mark S.,

Why do you suggest that they avoid Roswell?
For its size, Roswell has a huge crime rate. Check out the stats: http://www.city-data.com/city/Roswell-New-Mexico.html

It's been almost 10 years since I was last there, but unless things have changed, the schools are having troubles with gangs. I sure wouldn't send my child to public schools in Roswell.

If someone is moving to Roswell for a job or something, you can definitely find nicer neighborhoods. But if someone is just looking for a place in NM to move, I think the state offers better choices than Roswell.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,896 times
Mark S.,

While I agree that Roswell has a high crime rate for its population, I can safely say that for the normal everyday law-abiding citizen this problem is rather non-existent. Roswell has two high-schools and at present the gang issues are also pretty much non-existent to the normal everyday child. Overall, I would say a person would not have a problem with either one of these issues unless they are the criminal or gang type to begin with.

New Mexico ranks in as the fifth most violent State so I am not saying that New Mexico, more specifically Roswell, does not have serious crime issues to overcome, but I have lived in Rowell for over 20 years and I have never had a problem nor known anyone who has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico