U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 269,338 times
Default Best & safest New Mexico towns?

OK so I am looking in the southern part because I do not want to deal with snow. I am looking for a safe, resonable, natural beauty and no snow! LOL

I am planning to travel there in Oct. and am already planning on looking into Alamogordo, Las Cruces, Truth or Consequences and SIlver City and Elepahnt Butte. How am I doing with those choices? Are any of these off base or did I miss any?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 AM

8,294 posts, read 10,754,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrph View Post
OK so I am looking in the southern part because I do not want to deal with snow. I am looking for a safe, resonable, natural beauty and no snow! LOL

I am planning to travel there in Oct. and am already planning on looking into Alamogordo, Las Cruces, Truth or Consequences and SIlver City and Elepahnt Butte. How am I doing with those choices? Are any of these off base or did I miss any?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not a big fan of desert myself.

Las Cruces is a very nice town if you like desert. Reasonably safe, and if you get up near the mountains, it even cools off in the evenings.

I have heard good things about Alamagordo and Silver City, but I have no firsthand experience myself.

Truth or Consequences is a pit. Worst town in NM in my opinion. Las Vegas probably has more crime, but T or C is uglier and has less to do. Elephant Butte has a big lake, and that's about all it has.

You might look into Carlsbad.

Avoid Roswell and Artesia.

Ruidoso is a nice town in the mountains, but you will see snow there.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the advice on Tor C, as soon as you said it, I remembered that I had read a post saying something similar.

Now this Ruidoso, how much snow are we talking about here? LOL
Thanks!

Old 09-06-2006, 11:45 AM

8,294 posts, read 10,754,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrph View Post
In the city itself not a huge amount. You can read City Data's stats here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Ruidoso-New-Mexico.html

But it is at the foot of Sierra Blanca, a major ski resort. When I was a kid, you could always count on lots and lots of snow around Ruidoso, and a nice blanket in the town itself. But they've had lots of mild winters and drought conditions the past few seasons (global warming anyone?), so it's really hard to predict.

I should warn you that Ruidoso does have a higher than average crime rate. Again, check out the stats. It is primarily a resort/arts community, and with the nearby reservation, there's a lot of partying and gambling in town. I was never worried for my safety there. I suspect that most of the crime is bar fights and the usual underbelly of crime in any good-sized town.

The biggest thing I dislike about Ruidoso is the disparity. There are lots of really, really, really rich people (mostly Texans) and lots of really poor people. There isn't what I would call a large, healthy middle-class. Not a particularly family-friendly place, but if you're looking for a place to retire, it might not be bad.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:12 PM

8,546 posts, read 11,795,227 times
Thanks!

It can vary WILDLY, believe me......this past season, there was no snow in town at all, or else only light dustings that melted quickly. The nearby ski area (Ski Apache/Sierra Blanca) was only 12% open last season.

There have been other years where they got a LOT of snow. I have seen downtown just covered up with snow in past years.

It has been really dry at least the last 2 years, and unusually hot for the area.

The town sits at an elevation of 6700+ ft, so snow is always going to be a real possibility.

The town itself is mostly a tourist area.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 PM

828 posts, read 3,450,662 times
Three towns come to mind for safe and no snow or very little snow. 1. Las Cruces - a pretty big city now. 2. Alamogordo - a safe "family" city and 3. Carlsbad. Carlsbad doesn't have much shopping so if you are into shopping and that kind of thing, stick to Las Cruces or Alamogordo. Alamogordo, you can go into Las Cruces too.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 34,430 times
Bought a '95 double wide,1600 sq.ft.plus two car garage, on 2/3 of an acre, fenced, paved street , in town [Williamsburg next to T or C] wilh a well for watering...for under $45,000. Maybe T or C isn't the pitts after all!This town is changing fast. Empty store fronts present when we closed escrow in Jan. were ALL gone when we went back in July.Our realtor is getting calls from all over the country from investors looking to buy anything[reatail, motels, etc]Dont' scratch this one off your list!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice. I am going to try to get to as many places as I can. I only will have 2 days in NM so I have to see as much as I can in a short amount of time.

Do you think 2 days will at least give me enough time to get a general idea of all of these areas?

I'm excited about this trip. I hopefully will be able to make some sort of a decision after this trip.

Thanks for everyones help!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:28 AM

828 posts, read 3,450,662 times
Two days is really stretching it Greenrph but if you speed through them you might be able to swing it. You can't really go by maps since it won't show areas in the mountains with hairpin turns sometimes that make you drive as fast as a turtle. Count on more time up in Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. You should be able to see Silver City, go to T or C, then swing down to Las Cruces on I25, which will help on time, then up to Alamo on Highway 70, then swing over to Cloudcroft on 82 then back to 70 and on to Ruidoso. I would stay in Alamogordo after day one since it is close to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso and you need tha extra time to drive in the mountains. I don't know all the towns you plan on going to but if you go on to Carlsbad, then after Ruidoso head to Roswell and then south to Carlsbad, if Carlsbad is on your list. I am assuming someone coming from the west but reverse it if you are coming from the east. Since it lists you as coming from the Midwest, you will probably be going to ABQ then down I25? Then go through T or C, then over to Silver City first and the rest as listed.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-09-2006 at 12:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2006, 10:09 AM

Hi Crackerjack!

We are actually driving in from Texas at that point of the trip and we did want to at least look at El Paso. That puts us past Carlsbad and we would have to back track alittle to Alamogordo. I don't know if we will have the time to see all of these places. I think I will skip Ruidoso and Cloudcroft on the way into NM and maybe catch it on the way home.

So we would want to do all the southern cities, Carlsbad, Alamogordo, Las Cruses and Silver City oh and Elephant Butte and T or C. OK, so can we do that in 2 days and where should we stay?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico