Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM

27 posts, read 109,174 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was just offered a position in Shiprock,NM. I am a 22 year old single, black female, straight out of college. The position has great pay, but I don't know much about New Mexico, let alone, Shiprock. I am looking for information. I really want to move to a safe area. I am going to be alone so safety is priority. I do know the city has a big Native American population. I am confused on if there is a reservation in Shiprock. I have no interest in living or working on a reservation. I have only been to ones in Michigan but know they are not right for me. Anyway any advice would be welcome. If you think this is a crazy, unsafe idea, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I have an okay job in Michigan which is not worth leaving if my safety is going to be compromised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellygurl39 View Post
Hello! I was just offered a position in Shiprock,NM. I am a 22 year old single, black female, straight out of college. The position has great pay, but I don't know much about New Mexico, let alone, Shiprock. I am looking for information. I really want to move to a safe area. I am going to be alone so safety is priority. I do know the city has a big Native American population. I am confused on if there is a reservation in Shiprock. I have no interest in living or working on a reservation. I have only been to ones in Michigan but know they are not right for me. Anyway any advice would be welcome. If you think this is a crazy, unsafe idea, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I have an okay job in Michigan which is not worth leaving if my safety is going to be compromised.
New Mexico can be a wonderful experience and is very different than what I have seen of Michican...

I do not know the Shiprock area very well. You might read these threads:
Single white female nurse on reservation?

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-02-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Shiprock is on the Navajo Indian Reservation. If you don't want to be on or near an Indian Reservation, then Shiprock is not for you.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Shiprock is on the Navajo Indian Reservation. If you don't want to be on or near an Indian Reservation, then Shiprock is not for you.
thank you for the information!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 PM

I have found out the job is not on the reservation. I am still very interested in the local area. I would like to know about malls, movies, housing and restaurants. I really want to know what people do for fun in that area. I am use to go boating, golfing, gambling and to lots of professional sporting events. I know there are no professional teams so I somewhat clueless to what everyone does for fun.
As for housing, I am willing to move up to 30 minutes away. I am looking for an apartment or condo for lease in a nice area (preferable gated). Plus any information about crime would be helpful. I plan to call local officials for crime reports but it is also nice to hear what people in the community see. THANKS!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellygurl39 View Post
I have found out the job is not on the reservation. I am still very interested in the local area. I would like to know about malls, movies, housing and restaurants. I really want to know what people do for fun in that area. I am use to go boating, golfing, gambling and to lots of professional sporting events. I know there are no professional teams so I somewhat clueless to what everyone does for fun.
As for housing, I am willing to move up to 30 minutes away. I am looking for an apartment or condo for lease in a nice area (preferable gated). Plus any information about crime would be helpful. I plan to call local officials for crime reports but it is also nice to hear what people in the community see. THANKS!

Shiprock is a populated cluster in a midst of a semi-desert, last time I was there packs of really hungry stray dogs were roaming weigh station. It doesn't appear to be a "prosperous" burban landscape you are aspiring for but it has some coal & mineral deposits and power stations. You will not be overwhelmed by the choices of malls, movies, restaurants etc. There is Indian gambling if you are in that stuff but it's not Vegas mildly speaking. Professional sporting events need to wait, for fun I guess they do the same things people do in Michigan - drink beer & watch TV. The area doesn't give an impression of being overly prosperous, so there must be a gated something for the upwardly mobile crowd.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I honestly can't imagine that a single 22 year old woman would find anything enjoyable about Shiprock. I haven't lived there, only driven through and as with much of the Four Corners area it is best for someone who wants land, peace, and knows how to entertain themselves. The closest real mall is Albuquerque, you will find more mobile homes than gated communities, the movies will be in Farmington as will most restaurants. Google Street View is a very useful tool in being able to tour the town. It is a very rural area, you really should visit if you are considering taking the job, it will be an entirely different world from Michigan.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Start by using the city-data search engine on the main page for more statistics than you ever thought existed. Type in Shiprock, NM and marvel. Do the same for the Navaho Reservation.

If I were young I would give it a try. Arrive with no expectations and see what happens. If nothing else arrange a visit. Fly to ABQ, stay a day or so, rent a car off the airport (avoid really big airport rental fees), then drive to Shiprock and explore the area.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Visit first....

Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
I would live in Farmington, not a large city by any means. A nice town. 1 hour away from Durango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico